Okay here it is, the new spell zip

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by darmagon, Nov 29, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. darmagon

darmagon stumbler in the dark

Hmm, seems I got a little overzealous with edit/replace when I was cleaning up 'the finger' before this release. I only wanted to change all 'slay living' s to 'finger of death' s for the print statements (I used slay living as the template for finger of death natch.) forgot about the 'slay living' in the eye candy line.

Okay an easy fix, if you are feeling up to it, is to just edit the spell script . Where is says: game.particles( 'sp-Finger of Death', target.obj ) change 'Finger of Death' to 'Slay Living' . I have uploaded a new newspell.zip that doesn't contain this problem if you want to go that route. If none of the above then get the attachment here.

As always, unzip in your main ToEE folder.

Darmagon

Attached Files:

2. darmagon

While True Resurrection is on my list of things that might be doable in ToEE it is kind of at the bottom of that list right now. I can see 3 reasons for wanting True Resurrection: 1) To bring back a character with no xp loss; 2) as a plot device whereby you could resurrect some NPC from the backstory to help you out or say something like restoring Black Jay's family. 3) to bring back a character that has been destroyed not just killed. I believe animate dead has this effect. Also, I think that leaving an NPC dead too long in your party causes them to silently fade away beyond reclamation. There may be some other effects in the game that will cause this and I know that if disintegrate or the 7th effect of prismatic spray happens to affect a pc, they would most likely be destroyed (a successful saving throw aside)....

The 1st case shouldn't be too hard to deal with (although I am not sure as yet.) The second would be easy. Just a matter of game.obj_create (with some new npcs added to the protos) or, in something like the Black Jay case, some new dialog and maybe a quest added. The 3rd is where the real problems begin. It may be doable but would require a lot of work, even more than fixing the 7th effect of prismatic spray is going to take me. I am not going to get into all the details here (in the first place I don't know all the details.) But, as far as I can tell, this would be a major effort.

So, if you were just thinking of the first two applications of the spell, Yeah, (almost) definitely doable. If you want the 3rd then no, I have no plans to start upon that road anytime soon....

Darmagon

3. Nerik

Nerik Established Member

I've done some testing on Flaming Sphere,
    Firstly, ATM it is listed as 'Spiritual Weapon' when you hover your pointer over it.
    Second, when cast, everyone within 5' makes a saving throw, as expected from your description, but this does not appear to happen on subsequent turns, when it just trys to hit one enemy - and misses. I'm going to try some new tests with a new party at lower levels and see what heppens then.

Charles

4. darmagon

Weird, very weird. First I took some pains to make sure it came up as 'Flaming Sphere' when you hovered over it. Second, I know that it does its damage to everything within 5 feet with what I have here and I downloaded and installed what I had uploaded just to make sure I had what everyone else would have. Yes the sphere should strike and miss on its turn (unless it has a confirmed critical) I couldn't take away its attack without also taking away its ability to move so I made the attack as useless as I could (on a confirmed critical you should get 1 point of nonlethal damage).

If the saving throw is failed then nothing will flash over the creature, check the history to see if fire damage was taken by creatures close enough to have been affected.

When the sphere makes its attack the attackee should get an attack of opportunity because it is unarmed. The sphere suffers from the same problem as spiritual weapon and I have used the same solution as Livonya used for that spell.

Of course I may have not taken everything into account with the spell when I was testing it. So now comes the obligatory request for more information. Party pc size, party npc size, are you using the pccount patch, any map changes, any saves, distance of flaming sphere from party, was flaming sphere added as a party member (ie. did its icon appear in the row at the bottom of the screen), did your test include anything outside the party or was it just a test against the party and etc. (ie. anything else you might think is pertinent.)

I have tested all of the above with the same results but that is not to say that some combination, in a different order, may not have caused what you see.

Finally, a redownload may be in order, just in case.....:)

Darmagon

5. CatBoris

CatBoris Member

Excellent spells, Darmagon :thumbsup: BTW, any chance of seeing 'telekinesis' in the future? Not so much for the spell, I just want to make javelins of returning :D

6. darmagon

Actually Telekinesis is on my list of doable spells (although radial menu support would help a lot, so it has been deferred) but I don't think the spell would be necessary to do what you need. An item script might be more appropriate, san_throw or san_use might be worth looking into, not sure if they will do what you want.

Might be as simple as:
    Code:
    def san_throw(attachee, triggerer):
       triggerer.item_get(attachee)

or it might require more scripting.

Anyway, I am pretty sure that the telekinesis spell is not what you want , as you would have to add the ability to cast the spell to the user of the javelin and then find some way to cast the spell once the javelin was thrown and then specify somehow what the spell should do in this unique situation.

Darmagon

7. ecliptic

ecliptic Member

Spells I would like to see.

6th level
    Mordenkainen's Lucubration
    Eyebite
    Mislead
    Heroism, Greater
    True Seeing
    Repulsion
    Chain Lightning
    Otiluke's Freezing Sphere
    Undeath to Death
    Flesh to Stone
    Stone to Flesh
    Heroism, Greater

7th level
    Spell Turning
    Drawmj's Instant Summons
    Arcane Sight, Greater
    Hold Person, Mass
    Insanity
    Power Word, Blind
    Forcecage
    Invisibilty, Mass
    Project Image
    Waves of Exhaustion

8th level
    Protection from Spells
    Incenidary Cloud
    Moment of Prescience
    Charm Monster, Mass
    Otto's Irresistible Dance
    Power Word Stun
    Polar Ray
    Shout, Greater
    Sunburst
    Scintillating Patttern
    Horrid Wilting
    Iron Body

9th level
    Prismatic Sphere
    Dominate Monster
    Hold Monster, Mass
    Meteor Swarm
    Energy Drain
    Power Word Kill
    Wail of the Banshee
    Shapechange
    Time Stop

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  8. CatBoris

CatBoris Member

I'm sure there are several ways to make the 'returning' attribute work without the spell telekinesis, but the only reason I'm waiting for it, is because the rules say it is necessary for the enchanting. How it works or doesn't work is way beyond me - I'm just a simple player with no insights into modding :cool2:

9. darmagon

@CatBoris

Okay, gotcha another special purpose spell that just has to exist but not do anything. I have half a mind to just make up dummy implementations of all the spells just in case. but only half a mind mind you. The other half is saying," but they should do something because most people aren't going to read the docs, or pay attention to the in game warnings, they are just going to expect the damned things to work." And I tend to agree with that point of view.

Anyway I will see what I can do to satisfy everyone. And I definitely do see your point and it can probably be applied to a lot of other items as well. Go figure, there is a market for non-functional spells via crafting. Huh.....

@ecliptic

hmm.... yes, so would I, among many others. Let me give you a quick rundown on how things are going with some of your suggestions:

-Iron body: first and foremost, as it was the spell that started me delving into the games inner workings (script and protos wise). I still haven't been able to come up with a suitable compromise within the limits that ToEE the crpg imposes. don't worry too much though, I have learned a few new tricks which will make it easier to accept a compromise.

-Protection from spells: this spell is a nightmare to do properly. The problem lies in making the saving throw bonuses (boni(?):)) apply only to spells, in a system where there is, AFAIK, no way to tell if an effect on a creature is an actual spell or not. As a gross example, the effect of being grappled by a giant frogs tongue and possibly being eventually swallowed by the giant frog is implemented in the game as a spell! I spent literally weeks trying to get this spell to function properly only to give up when my attempts had become too far-fetched and incredibly baroque to ever possibly work. If you have the new spell .zip, look into my additions to utilities.py. Some of the remnants of the effort are still in there.

-Time Stop: Yeah, I can make everyone but the caster inactive and untouchable for the allotted amount of time but I can't actually stop the passage of time in the game so that, for example, spell durations cease to expire while this spell is in effect. There are a few other funky problems I have not yet found a way to address.

-Chain Lightning: was already done in the game and should be available once a character can cast 6th level spells.

-Polar Ray: is easy, but you are correct, it should be done. Look in my even newer spells thread for a version in a day or two.

-Undeath to Death: Okay, this spell should also be easy if I go by the written word of the SRD......

-Heroism, Greater: IIRC is already in the game.

-Otto's Irresistible Dance: I have the effect, all I need is the dance. What I mean is, I can replicate the actual effects of the spell, I just can't give the creature the proper dance animation. Without that (and failing some other way of indicating the condition) I think the spell really loses its flavour. I am probably going to have to compromise here as well....:sigh:

In any case, I am going to cut this short as I could go on and on about this stuff. As I have said before, I have a list of spells that I think are implementable and actually useful in the game and it includes almost all of the spells you have mentioned

Darmagon

10. darmagon

A quick heads up here. I am going to be changing the details of the flaming sphere spell within the next few days. Basically the idea is that any attack directed towards the sphere will be considered an attempt to put it out ( as only makes sense.) The upshot is that , instead of having hp determined by the caster level (as per Livonya's fix for spiritual weapon) the sphere will have 'put out' hp at some predetermined number independant from the caster level (around 20-30). The spell is too powerful, without this proviso, as a 2nd level spell. As it is, it can do more damage than fireball over its lifespan and it is tactical if you have it as a party member.

Darmagon

11. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Can you give it something like DR 10 or even DR 15/Cold and some energy (particularly fire) immunities? The idea being that attempting to put out the flaming sphere is going to be more difficult than a fighter simply whacking at it or a mage blasting it with a lightning bolt.

12. Virtual SpACEman

Virtual SpACEman Established Member

i totaly agree with kals the sphere needs to be given fire immunity for a start or at least a very high resistance to fire.

DC cold would make sence as well.

or possibly a high AC?

13. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Darmagon, please keep me up to date on any changes/additions to the new spells via PM. I am starting to put together 4.1.0, and need to know about these things.

14. Nerik

Nerik Established Member

Darmagon, could you send me details of this, as its a spell one of my summonable creatures needs, thanks.

Charles

15. Ugignadl

Ugignadl Established Member

Do we see creatures busting a lung when casting Tashas? Maybe a good sound effect would be enough...

Our Host!