Ok, I've recently reinstalled this gem..

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Sini, Mar 2, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Sini

Sini Member

and actually made it to the temple this time :clap: before crying in frustration about my guys missing most of the time. Even killed that giant with bear.. probably because my lvl5 dorf tank crit him for 45dmg though (and my 4 hp wizard was spamming missiles/web like crazy heh.)
    One thing that I still don't get, are the prices the vendors have. Case in point:
    DWARVEN PLATE
    Weight: 50
    AC: +8
    Max DEX Bonus: +1
    Armor Check Penalty: -5
    Spell Failure: 35%

Ah Fong in Nulb is selling it for 22k gold pieces, while he also sells DRAGONHIDE PLATE for 4k which shows exactly the same stats. Another example might be the double greataxe which has the same stats as regular greataxe. Am I missing something or is that just how the game is? I tried shift clicking on them for more info but nothing came up.

Also, can someone be so generous as to give me a simple example of what on earth AC Penalty means for gear? Or the "max" DEX bonus? My understanding is that armor increase the AC(hence the +8 stat in dwarven plate above) but where does the penalty check come in.

2. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

AC penalty = Armor Check Penalty. When using certain skills (tumble, hide, move silently, and any other that requires nimbleness) your armor hampers your capacity to move about graciously. In other terms its easier to pick someone's pocket in leather armor rather than wearing full plate.

As to the Max DEX bonus, it refers to the fact that as a rule heavier armor does not allow you to take advantage of all your dexterity to dodge blows. This means that when wearing full plate, your Dex 14 fighter will only get a +1 bonus to his AC, although he would be normally entitled to +2. If he were wearing Chainmail, he'd get the full bonus. This restriction to AC does not affect other areas: your 14DEX fighter would still get two extra Attacks of Opportunity if he has Combat reflexes, and when firing a bow, he'll still get his full bonus. This adjustment only penalizes your defensive capacity.

Note that the most maxed out characters (say elf with initial DEX 20, plus gloves of dexterity +6, and having added three points at levels 4, 8 and 12) would have something like DEX29, which amounts to a bonus of +9... any armor you wear will hinder your defensive capacities somewhat...

3. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Well, Matmaisan explained everything really clear :)
    Tecnically, there's no big difference.
    I think that the Dwarven plate also gives damage reduction (breastplate dr 2 and plate dr 3?), which means that while it acts as a normal fullplate it also reduce 2 or 3 points of damage when you've been hit.

But the differences are mainly from pnp ("real" rpg), where the Dwarven plate it's usually of Adamantine, making it nearly imposible to be destroyed.
    (Items, armors, weapons etc also have hit points and hardness, while a leather armor could have 10 hp and 2 hardness, a dragonplate could have 15 hp and 8 hardness, and dwarvenplate could have 25hp and 15 hardness :eek: )
    Also, Adamantine (as well as Mithral) are much more lighter than other armor, making it less cumbersome.

4. Sini

Sini Member

Thanks guys, exactly what I was looking for.:notworthy

Our Host!