Official Patch 3: Can't even start the game anymore

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Zzorrkk, Dec 29, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. Zzorrkk

Zzorrkk Member

Hi there,

with the second patch I had the usual symptoms everybody seemed to have: No looting and a crash upon exiting the game.

I was delighted to see another patch as I already gave up on the game. But after installing that one I can't even start the game. The Copy-Protection starts, the screen goes blank and there I am - back on the desktop. No movies, no nothing...:cry: ???

I tried a complete reinstall with or without my old savegames. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

Thanks, Zzorrkk

PS. Gonna crosspost this on the Atari Forums

2. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

If that's the problem, then I know exactly what's wrong. There's nothing wrong with the game: it's your computer that's the problem. It's low on Virtual Memory. With too little virtual memory, there's not enough space to run the movies, so the game crashes. I don't for the life of me know how to fix it though. I had that problem because of viruses, so I just wiped my hard-drive and started over.

EDIT: By the way, for anyone that the patch still works for, a word of wisdom. DO NOT cast Magic Missile on the Werewolves in the Temple...it only leads to more bad things...

3. Kyriff

Kyriff Member

How to fix virtual memory.

Depending on how much space you have on your hard drive. Right click on my computer and go to the properties. Click on the far right tab labeled advanced. Click on the button that says performance options. The lower box is how much you have set aside for Vmem, hit the change button. For Initial size, use 4095, and for Maximum size use 4095. This is the biggest Vmem paging file you can set. You will need to have at least 4 gigs free on your HD to use this, but that will solve any Vmem problems you have. If the game is still crashing, it's not your Vmem.

-Kyriff

4. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

Okay. I see what your problem is now. It didn't happen to me right away when I installed the patch, but it is now. Easy fix, though. Just re-install the ANYPATCH2, and it will install over the Anypatch 3 and essentially set it back to before you installed the patch 3. Easy as that, and the game should start working again.

5. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

The SecuROM applies only to the exe, so basically you just need to find a working exe without SecuROM, if the copy protection is causing a problem. There are sources out there which can provide it which I will not quote (assuming you have tried everything else suggested here and still can't get it to work).

6. Zzorrkk

Zzorrkk Member

Hi,

sorry for the late reply - I thought I'd get e-mail notifications about this thread...

I've tried everything you said: Changing virtual memory did not help and a no-cd crack I searched for changed nothing. exept that the cd is not required before the screen goes blank.

I can reinstall patch 2 but then I have the old problems... Seems like I have to resort to the unofficial fix and hope this works.

If you have any other suggestions or can tell me that this is normal (and the patch thus crap), please post again. Thanks. See you in 2005,

Zzorrkk

PS. The System is 2 weeks old - I strongly doubt that it has any viruses or spyware... No other game behaves strange by the way. I can even play and enjoy the bug infested vampire bloodlines, which is troikas masterpiece in my opinion. Grrrreat game...

7. Bukowski

Bukowski Member

I'm having a similar problem, don't think it's my vmem...

Whenever I try to go to the temple proper after doing everything else, it shows the temple animated sequence and then crashes me out to the desktop. I usually have to reboot before I can even get into the game again.
    It's also happening when I try to start a new game instead of loading one... does the movie then crashes.

I checked my vmem and there's plenty of it... I can't find any software/hardware conflicts on my side of things. I even tried to reinstall TOEE and only implement patch 2.0 and the co8 patch, same problem.

Our Host!