Official KotB Demo Final Bug List

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Jan 3, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. xraygord

xraygord Member

The party is not full, but I do have 3 NPCs with me right now. Am I at my limit of NPCs?

During ny current game, I have tried to recruit Two Swords while I had a party of 3 PCs and 3 NPCs, and also with 3 PCs, 3 NPCs, and 1 Merc. Both times the same results happened. She says she will join but does not.

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Unless you have specifically changed something, you can only recruit 3 NPCs.

There is an option in the 'options' section of TFE-X to change the number of NPCs you can recruit. The default should be 5-3 (so you are full) - try changing it to 4-4 and see what happens.

3. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

For what it's worth, the ctd bug continues with 1.11. :roll:

4. relic

relic Established Member

Okay, this is a strange one. I'm using the latest version, 1.11

When I'm getting ready for the final battle w/ the various champions and standing outside the cave entrance, I go in the door and end up in Kenter Nevet's house?

Nothing particularly strange about my game. I do have Milo w/ me, everyone is 5th level. Only strange things I can think of is that when crafting there was a strange string of words at the top of the crafting box, and the cloaks of elvenkind I got off Billy and Aeron (sic), the ranger you can meet on random encounters, gave me +15 on intimidation rather than a plus to Hide. Also, I did help the mad druid so that he's not crazy anymore, which I notice gives you an in to the final encounter for the demo.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  5. Euangelion

Euangelion Member

I've run through the 1.11 Demo several times now, and was only able to finish it this last time by completely avoiding ctd. The difference, you ask? The one I really think worked was avoiding animal companions (not familiars, though) altogether.

Edit: I also had the same issue that Relic mentioned.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  6. Shiningted

Thanks for the feedback. But are you guys saying the ending is broken? :scratchhe

7. Euangelion

Euangelion Member

I guess so. If I'm supposed to meet some champions for battle, then no, that didn't happen. I went into the cave, ended up in a map of the trader's establishment from ToEE (not sure myself what it is in KotB), which then dumped me out back into the Keep. I then used the World Map to go to the Caves of Chaos at the top of the map, but ended up on the floor of the arena, though I could simply walk over to the top of the tower with the Castellan, etc. To pay for their trickery, I then killed them and quit.

Don't get me wrong, though, playing is an awesomely enjoyable experience, even with the apparently broken ending. Avoiding the ctds was key, though. However, I haven't tried to load a saved game that would always ctd and dismiss the animal companions before trying to enter a building. When I get home, and after my houseguests go to sleep, I'll give it a try.

By the way, if you don't know, I used to be very active under this same screen name at the Atari ToEE boards leading up to, and for about a year after, the release of ToEE. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your work on making that game far more enjoyable than when it first came out, and now with KotB. I guess my one claim to fame for ToEE is that I'm the one who suggested that when completing the Paida quest that Valden would present the party with a masterwork spiked wooden shield, though it seems that it was later removed from the game (not a big deal.) I've been looking through the tutorials on dialogue scripting to see if I might be able to help on that end as requested, if work is still needed.

8. Shiningted

I remember that shield! Didn't know it was removed.

Sorry to hear about the ending - I guess it won't be fixed at this point, since I have long since replaced that ending with a working Caves of Chaos ravine in the game. But thanks again for the feedback.

9. Euangelion

Euangelion Member

I like them. Non-intrusive, yet informative. Nifty.

10. Thorgal

Thorgal Member

Don't know if you still want some bug reports, but anyhow I just have to write you some feedback.

First of all, I'm probably not alone when it comes to being disappointed on ToEE as it was when I played it a couple of years back. I didn't even manage to complete it because of some nasty bugs that were too much for my patience. However, I recently picked it up again and stumbled across the mods on Co8 and after playing several (I've lost track) hours of this gem you call KotB I'm stunned. This is what ToEE should have been: intriguing, exciting and just plain fun. At least it feels open and free, something ToEE never did. Right now I don't bother starting that one anymore as KotB is a way more interesting and entertaining adventure. A big thank you! You've made a great job.

The bugs:
    *There was a message about "report to Ted" as you talk to the Bailiff at the inn after scouting the Raider area. Something like "if there's only one answer here it's a bug".
    *In the encounter at night with guards shooting at a fella on the wall, one of the guards has a huge cloak that's blowing in the air like a parachute. Must have been something weird going on.
    *Some CTD:s as I tried to head to the Harpies and enter the Guard tower in the Keep.
    *When I look at the map in the Raider area only half of it is revealed, the rest is still covered by "fog", even though my party has been all over.
    *Enemies actions are showing in text over their heads.
    *I can't talk to the priest at the inn.
    *Various saved games fail to load.

Well, that's it for now. I realized the "demo" is quite big which made me wonder how much more there can be for the complete module? However, I'm really looking forward to the real deal.

Cheers!

11. Shiningted

Thanks for the feedback - a pleasant mix of things I knew about and things I wouldn't be able to replicate ;) Ahhh, the fun of being a modder... glad you are enjoying it all :) There's still the whole of the Caves of Chaos to come.

12. NashTark

NashTark Member

Well, I’m playing KoTB 1.11 and I only can say that it's great.
    The only one bug I’ve seen is about the Summon Spell & Animal Companions. Neither both do a thing.
    The Animal Companion only attacks if an enemy it's adjacent to it.
    The Summon Animal never attacks.
    That’s the only thing that I’ve seen.

Great job, really.

13. Shiningted

Well I'll certainly check the latter. However the Player's Guide.doc included with the zip details the situation re animal companions: they now have to be trained to attack using Handle Animal, consistent with the 3.5 PHB. But you can now give them basic combat instructions too (flank, trip, stand your ground etc).

There was a bug that summoned animals were subject to the same limitations (which is silly) but I thought I fixed that. I'll check it out.

14. NashTark

NashTark Member

They have to be trained? That’s great. I really wanted a more 3.5 pencil & paper experience and this mod fit on it.

15. Shiningted

This looks as good a place as any to mention, with a little help from Gaear I overcame a very annoying bug: vendor's not giving proper prices when buying (eg the blacksmith should give better prices for metal items, the provisioner with all his clothes should give better prices for clothes etc).

Bug fixed :)

Our Host!