Official KotB Demo Final Bug List

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Jan 3, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I regularly get charged by crossbowmen (skeletons) in both 5.5.0 and KotB, though not always. On the MH map, I was xbow-charged during the Maeri ambush and by a skeleton.

IT'S OUT AT LAST, OUT AT LAST, OUT AT LAST... :joy:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The program that organizes and launches modules is not responsible for any in-game bugs.

3. biobaba

biobaba Member

Some more bugs

1) When rescuing shaddy, if I save a reload in the jail area. I noticed that all theguards would stand still and not moving until I initiated a conversation with some prisoner then the guards will resume to be active. This is probabaly an original bug because it is observed elsewhere with other NPC's as well.

2) You can get unlimited spider poison from the undertaker if you talk in circle with him. I believe this is an old bug.

4) I am unable to help out with provisoner's quest in the merchant guild if I join the guild first. The option of discussing the provisioner's problem will not be there anymore. (Or it is because I can only ask "one" favor from the guildmaster?)

5) When I was instructed to getting some bow man from the corporal, I wasnt able to even enter the gate tower at all. I think it is because I have "slept" with the corporal and that caused him to be disappeared from the game entirely.

6) There is a giant tick in the cave wheer you rescue the silk merchant (stands along blickong a small road like area) does not seem to be actively attacking at all as I gets close to it.

7) This is not a bug but the spawn location of the dragon is a bit far from the chest I think. The first time I entered swamp I was actually managed to loot the chest and took off without getting noticed by the dragon. The lizards there seem to be attacking the dragon and me at the same time.. not sure if it is intended?

8) The identification spell my wizard casts requires me to have 100 gold, was it a new thing that I missed in the update or it is a bug?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  4. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Biobaba
    Allow me to take some work off of Ted's shoulders.

TRC

5. The Royal Canadian

Hi Gaear
    My apologies. What I should have said, is that the "bug" is not particular to KoTB. Upon thinking about it for a while, I have come too two conclusions.
    1.) The bug IS particular too monsters equipped with crossbows. Not that there are many Archers (other than the several Bugbear archers in the Moathouse and the Temple), but Archers never charge, and are likely to use a "5 foot step" to get away from a PC that has charged them.
    2.) The two places I see the "Charging Crossbows" most often are Emridy Meadow/ The Druid Grove and the hall of bones on Level 1 of the Temple. I wonder if there is something particular to these maps that causes that.
    TRC

6. The Royal Canadian

Hi Ted
    I am getting some interesting CTDs after returning from the Spider Forest. My specs are:
    Windows XP (SP 1)
    TOEE + Atari 1 + Atari 2 + TOEEFE 2.2 (CO8 5.5 Beta) Barebones + KoTB.

I cleared out everything except the Spider Queen. I then returned to the Keep to rest before going back to fight the queen. I also took the time to finish cleaning out the caves in the forest (where you rescue the merchant). If I didn't return directly to the marketplace, the game would CTD as soon as I entered a building. The game would pause and the screen would go black for several seconds. It would then briefly show me the interior of whatever building I had entered ( I tried both the Inn and the Tavern ), before crashing. If I returned to the marketplace, the game would act normal for a while ( I was able to enter the Inn, rent a room, rest for 8 hours, visit Flay, and enter the room next to Flays before the game crashed ) but the end result was the same.
    TRC

7. The Royal Canadian

Hi Ted
    I'm sorry to say that (at least for me) Billy is totally bonkers. I literally spent a day of gametime with Billy on the wall (he would even occasionally duck like he was under fire, and act like he was shooting at something) but the guards never showed. For what it's worth, here is how I played it. I rested up (overnight), and came out in the morning (Billy had actually been up on the wall entire previous day) and saw Billy, but no guards. I went back in the Inn and rested for 1 hour. I then went back outside, and everything was still the same (Billy on the wall, no guards). I repeated this until nightfall. What was interesting was that at one point one of the guards on patrol walked by as if nothing was happening, until he got to the corner of the Traders Store and he froze in (walking) position. I almost wonder if the game got scrambled because my party was 3rd Level, but I hadn't completed the "Arachniphobia" quest.

I just noticed something else. Billy still has the "first heartbeat" problem. I loaded my save from when I had raised everyone to third level. I then rested in the Inn until morning (12 hours), and exited the Inn. A quick check of the wall, no Billy. Went back inside, came back outside, and there he was.
    TRC

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  8. NewbieUser

NewbieUser Member

RC. this happened to me several times, i went back 2 saves and had the same problem, but went back to the 3rd save back and havent had a problem since. and i went back and killed the spider queen 4 times looking for an egg...apparently its not a bug that it doesnt have an egg.

everything else seems to be playing fine but i am running around checking everything 3 times to make sure i dont miss anything which is taking ALONG time to complete.

I am curious if they change the guild quest. i saved the merchant, went back to the guild and asked to join and they told me no, i couldnt, to which i told them fine but they would owe me a favor.

Then i went upstairs and talked to the merchant with my Bard and the response that i got...something about 'oh yeah he is speaking some language..go bard..i knew the bard skills would come in handy..oh yeah' was very funny.

apparently the modder has a quality sense of humor. very nice guys :cool2:

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I will be releasing a set of full spoilers for everything in the game, so folks can find it all, since a lot of it is meant to be obscure / non-obvious / only come out with certain classes / alignments etc. I like to think this gives it replay value.

Regarding the Merchants Guild, you are not meant to just waltz in and join it, but (spoiler)
    if you rescue the merchant and have his Spider Silk on you - or any other spider silk - you can claim you are going into the spider silk business and join the guild on those terms. While I'm dishing out spoilers, there are now 3 uses for Spider Silk in the game, and two lots of it to find (albeit 'using' it to get into the guild doesn;t make it disappear).
    Otherwise if you go the 'you guys owe me a favour' line you can parlay it on the Provisioner' behalf, or for Lord Axer. Obvious with all the extra merchants to rescue in the Caves this will all change in the full version.

Regarding the crossbowmen - the game has always been a bit haphazard with strategies for random monsters: skeletons can be either set to melee or ranged, and if you randomly choose weapons for them - scythe, or crossbow, or longspear, or whatever - then you are going to have the wrong strategy part of the time.

I used some of Liv's strategy-specific scripts to improve things in KotB but there are still some areas to fine tune. Those crossbowmen in the Hermit Map have random weapons but no ranged strategy by the sound of it.

Regarding everything else - I will address these (and fix them) in time but for now, it sounds like they are all bugs (except for what TRC addressed).

10. The Royal Canadian

Hi Ted
    Yes it's your favorite (??) pest again. Just a few notes on the the Thorp of Lord Axer.
    1.) During the first round my cleric cast a Spiritual Weapon to keep Lord Axer and the Barbarian "occupied" . It worked so well that it was 2 melee rounds after it disappeared before Lord Axer and the Barbarian started to move towards my party (through a Webbed Area - courtesy of the Wizard in the party ).
    2.) None of the Clerics of Hextor cast ANY spells.
    3.) It is not possible to get up on the walkway to attack / loot the archers.
    4.) It wasn't necessary to Identify the +2 Falchion or Pain's Memory. All other magic items had to be idenitified.
    TRC

11. The Royal Canadian

Hi Biobaba
    I just had a thought about one of your "bugs"
    Some more bugs

6) There is a giant tick in the cave where you rescue the silk merchant (stands along blickong a small road like area) does not seem to be actively attacking at all as I gets close to it.

Were you perhaps having a Rogue sneak through the "anthill" ?? I don't remember encountering any Giant Ticks (although I vaguely remember ShiningTed saying something to the effect that most of them were "random" encounters and not "hard-wired") in place.

SPOILER ALERT !!!

Scroll down

Scroll Down

Scroll Down

It is possible to get your party through (or at least it WAS) the "anthill" by simply having a Rogue or a Ranger (with high enough Hide / Move Silent skills sneak all the way to the exit, while the rest of the party stayed in the first cave where you find the merchant.

TRC

12. biobaba

biobaba Member

Sorry it is actually a "Fire Beetle".
    and my entire part was around this beetle no battle seem to be initiated.

I found another odd thing as I went back to the hole to check the beetle.
    Although I have already rescue the merchant, and became a member of the guild. As I click on the entrance to the cave I still was able to talk to the trapped merchant.
    The actual merchant of course is not in the cave anymore as I entered in.

13. Shiningted

Ah, well, when you click on the entrance it shows a portrait of the Merchant, but you're not actually talking to him, you're navigating a hole in the ground. I admit seeing his portrait afterwards is a bit weird - if I have spare portrait slots later I may change that.

As for the beetle - they're like the rats in the moathouse, they aren't set to attack but are there for ambience. My way of thinking is, not everything in the world would attack you. Personally I get along well with beetles, we have huge ones at this time of year. Anyway, if you want to have at them, thats cool too :)

How are people finding the floating dice-rolls thing?

14. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I like it. It gives me a better idea of what's going on.

I hate to bring up a tired old subject, but what are the known triggers of the "Marketplace" CTD syndrome?

15. Shiningted

Being out of the Keep. People seem to be having it after returning from the Hermit's Map, Lord Axer's place, the Spider Map and now Dragon's map as well. I can't be more specific than that because there don't seem to be any other connections: you'll notice Newbieuser had it after going to the Spider Map and Biobaba after the Dragon map: neither of those maps have anything in common.

Another trigger seems to be sleeping. It was established somewhere (can't find it now) that if you sleep in other than 8-hour lengths there can be CTDs afterwards. No idea why but there was a lot of evidence for this.

Our Host!