Official KotB Demo Bug List

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Feb 3, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

HEY!!! Robin has great stats, keeping him alive is the biggest challenge in the demo!

I've saved next to the smith in Hommlet hundreds of times with no dire consequences so there must be a problem with the mod and/or animation - you did leave the last anim slot blank right?

NPC's changing their clothes every so often, now there is an idea ;)

I think it's pretty well documented that my love of spawners is non-existant, especially now we can add everything with propper .mob's now, the cat spawners may have a useful specific purpose but I'm not too keen on them but that;s just a personal preference thing.

2. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

No no, don't get me wrong. I can save with no problems, nothing wrong happens...but if i quit the game, instead of closing properly, it crashes.
    In fact, if i just move the screen a bit a leave him outh of screen, then there's no crashing, it closes well.

Nope, i've talked with him in the church. It's not that there's no dialog...there's no option.
    You've got 3 or 4 responses, none asking to leave, no matter how much you talk with him.

And for stats...hes got 14 on strength, it's penalizated in intelligengence and charisma and 16 on wisdom, everything else 10...not very useful...and why shurikens?? Aren't they bugged?
    Btw, he should be redheaded, as depicted in the portrait...

And Robin is levl 1 too.
    Aaah, i was going to post that...i've just have my first in-game crash...
    I've entered the inn, and when i look at Fanny she was Blonde, longhaired, with a scale armor and a magical axe, so i went straight to talk to her, to see wtf was happening, but the dialog was the same...then i asked for their merchandise, and when i've tried to close the inventory *crash*...i didn't have time to see the bartender and if he had changed clothes...but that must be the problem of corrupt saves (probably others charcters are doing the same)

On a side note:
    i've stepped on the water on the kitchen! almost fell of my chair...awesome! and the dialog from the bartender "please get to the other side"! :clap:

Yes i do, instead putting it in the chest, he put it straight in my inventory.

I'm with you Al!
    he's great, so far it's the only one who doesn't die in my party :roll: , and equiped him with a sling, it does a good work...better than my elven archer or mi fighter...
    I still haven't able to make a single map.

-On the northern woods, on the bandit ambush,i can't move the first round, there wasn't "available" floor to click, i had to skip the round.(that cost me to lose the fight)
    -The bandits there always had a flanking bonus, even attacking alone

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Hey! You said you had no problems in your game! :rant:

Allyx: by using spawners instead of mobs, we don't have to have exactly the same monsters, in exactly the same place, every time you play the game :yes:

As for the animations: I am not suggesting animations per se are broken, but I may have done something bad, akin to putting a 1 at the end (though not that). I notice Ethan Dawe's bug post followed a save in the pub, so I think H_K is onto something. There are a lot of other animations in the game, but not as many that fire the moment you land on the map like the pub one does.

4. Allyx

I'm pretty sure the last entry in the anim string must be a 0 Ted

5. Shiningted

Yeah, it always has been, but I've put a few 0s in along the way to stagger the animations when maybe I shouldnt have. It would explain why the Pub causes CTDs, where-as the main map (with no less than 3 hammer-wielding smiths, but all set up identically to Brother Smythe) doesn't.

Better news: I have fixed a bunch of minor bugs with Reece, Brother Fist (now leaves the party) and a few other characters. Also, regarding Brother Fist's poor stats - I rolled him up taking into account his race (hence average Int / low Cha) but the engine still applies his half-orc template over the top. I'll fix that - my bad.

In other news - my change to the bartender works (he now changes outfts rather than showing up nekked) but I have not been able to 'force' a CTD by saving next to an animated NPC. So its time to rebuild those maps :yawn:

6. Allyx

I have an unidentified poison potion, and can ask Nobby about adding poison to my weapons, can we even add checks to see if an item is identied in dialogues? If so maybe one should be added here?

7. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

[Possible spoilers below]

A couple of things.

- replicated the raise dead problem. Two swords was killed in the fight with lord Axer, and couldn't get her raised at the temple (although I lost my 1000gp). At this stage (lvl 4, 18hp...) she's not really worth it anyway.

- once you solve the lizard man problem, the smith appears in the thorp (nice, realistic touch!). The label over him on daytime reads "High Priest" or some such, and the nighttime label reads "Brother Smyth" I think...

FIXED

- Since I have a Cleric of Heironeous in the party, I couldn't accept the 'New Silk road' quest (as the Hextorian priest immediately identifies her, and threatens violence, rather than give his blessing... which is perfect, storywise). I have started wondering whether I will manage to get any more quests at all. Could we have a list of quests which are completable in the demo, for playtesting reasons? (just the names)

- There are a number of plots I seem to have missed. Some loose ends include:
    (a) Although I steal stuff in town, and pickpocket, I haven't been visisted by the thieves guild;
    (b) The "Walking in their footsteps" quest... the lizardfolk told me they had "pushed them into the swamp" (which I assume means the swamp refuge map), but I find no evidence of that (except for the loot in the dragon lair), and can't seem to complete the quest. I would imagine some of those items wuld have to be shown to the right persons, so they can identify and confirm the identity of the deceased?
    (c) can't seem to talk to the seamstress about the cloak, dunno if I'm supposed to be able to do so in the demo;
    (d) recieved the tanned black dragon hide, but I apparently can't do anything with it, is that how its supposed to be?
    (e) The hermit and Maeri. Being TN and having a druid, I thought of embarking on the 'cure the hermit' path... got rid of the harpies, but I haven't discovered anything I can do about the hermit... is there supposed to be a way, in the demo, to cure him?
    (f) Aracnophobia quest: giving back (some) eggs to the queen buys peace for the party, but not for other passersby... I guess I'll have to destroy the queen in order to complete this one?
    (g) after accepting the 'leaking cauldron' quest, but never having bought any potions from Ricardo, when I return to speak with him, I have the dialog option of saying 'Hey! You;re last potion nearly killed me" (or somesuch...)​

Well, not that many bugs to report, as you see, and have avoided CTDs altogether ever since I stopped sleeping more than one 8 hour period in the inn.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2008
  8. TYrant

TYrant Fast Limper

First off, great job guys!

All in all, I've not had many problems. I've had a few CTD's, but only one that I could duplicate was the INN/Pub one.

If this helps:

I was on the 2nd floor of the Inn and killed the Bard (hey, you know, she had pretty boots). Rested, went out to the Pub (it was night). When I entered the Pub screen, looked like everyone was in their fighting stance and then CTD. Loaded it again (without killing the Bard, just in case I developed a rep) and CTD when I entered Pub, same thing. Next time, saved before I went in the Pub, still crashed. Now if I load that save game it CTD before it loads.

Also, I couldn't open the chest after killing the dragon either, even after picking it.

***SPOILERS***
    After not being able to defeat Axer and his minions AND the Hexor preists at the same time, I went into the temple and killed all the preists (barely) by themselves. Looted them, went back to the Keep to rest, came back to fight Axer. During the fight the Barbarian called for reinforcments and those same preists come to help, even the high preist with that magic flail. I suppose they could be different priests then the ones I killed, but it seems more like a bug.

Went to the ruined tower and learned of the fate of the missing adventurers. When I came back and told the Bailiff about the tower, he offered me a couple soldiers to take back with me. I went to the tower to collect them. When I was talking to the Watch Officer, right after he calls for the soldiers, the dialoge messes up. He says nothing and my only choice is option 1 that has no text. No way to end the dialogue. Have not tried this again to see if it happens agin.

Other than those few things, it looks/sounds/plays great. I'm having a blast!

9. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

And how do you find the ruined tower? Damn, I'm feeling really stooopid.

10. Shiningted

Thank goodness someone found the Tower! AND had the sense to go for backup :) Those guards were the very last thing added before release and not thoroughly tested: I'll look into it.

As for the Hextor Temple priests showing up twice, thats a bug.

Matmaisan: every quest that ISN'T marked 'can't be completed in Demo', can be completed in the Demo one way or another.

a) You didn't kill the cat outside the pub, did you? Otherwise, this involves hanging around the Pub - something you may be avoiding with all the CTDs ;)
    b)
    They pushed them west, to the Tower.
    c) Errr what cloak? :questionm
    d) Once the dragon hide is tanned, you should be able to get it made into armour
    e) You need a high level spell caster to heal the Hermit - Maeri fits that bill, but she ain't the one. You need to follow a whole other path with regard to that map.
    f) Correct. Go talk to the Bailiff.
    g) Bug.

Thanks again guys :)

11. Half Knight

Hey! this thing of the
    spoiler quotation invisible stuff
    it's a good trick! i didn't know it...;)

I found it too, i think he meant the
    blue cloak of the guards , you can ask for it to nobby, but he redirects you to the provisioner's wife, but she didnd't say anything about it
    i suppose that more time it's needed to pass for that?

12. tkobo

tkobo Member

Had ctd tonight.
    It occurred during a random encounter while traveling from the swamp to the town.

The random map was a swamp, the foe was a summoner and 3 or so summoned creatures
    (crayfish,wolf,dog, and something else i think)

First round of combat worked fine, second round crashed as a summoned creature was qued to attack.

13. tkobo

tkobo Member

Bummer,now i crash constantly in town.

Save= ctd
    try to enter building=crash
    pass time= crash

14. Half Knight

Hum, give it a try with "clean game cachè"

Sometimes it's the on ly thing needed :)

15. tkobo

tkobo Member

Tried multiple times,no luck.

Our Host!