Official KotB Demo Bug List

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Feb 3, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Re: CTD in Sewers

Let me guess - you took the arrows from Krayn. That was what prompted my CTD after I wiped out the Thieves Guild.

2. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Erkper
    You are right, I did take the arrows. I thought it was "regenerating" bracers that were causing the CTDs.
    TRC

3. The Royal Canadian

Minor Thieves Guild Bug

Hi Ted
    I discovered a slight bug in the Thieve's Guild last night. As you know, I am currently running a party with a Paladin ( just to see what will or won't make a Paladin "Fall" ). At any rate, rather than have the Paladin fall by completing the first quest, my party made a "wrong" turn leaving the guild HQ and got attacked by Krayn and Standover Man. Needless to say, my party cleaned out the guild, including the "Shifty-looking Guard". The next night I went to the "meeting place" behind the church, and the Shifty-looking guard was there walking back and forth. When I spoke with him, he didn't even mention the fact that I had killed all the guild members I could the night before.
    TRC

4. The Royal Canadian

CTD at the Wizard's Tower

Hi Ted
    I just had a CTD at the Wizard's Tower ( my first one at that location ). Here is a brief synopsis of what I did.

1.) On my first visit, I completed the math puzzle, got the note for the "Fedex Quest" and proceeded to gather the items I could find ( the beer, goblet, note, scroll, quill, flower, "broken clock", "Spot's quivering Heart", and the "Scaly Childs Toy" ) and put them in the Hope Chest.

2.) I then returned to the Keep and purchased the "gift of water and shell"

3.) I then returned to the Tower, and placed the "Gift of Water and Shell" in the Hope Chest, received the key and went down into the basement.

4.) I opened the door and attacked the Wizard and his "Friends" ( 1 Earth Elemental, 3 Fiendish, Dire Chickens and the Goblinstein Monster ). I then gathered up the available loot.

5.) I moved the party outside the tower, and was checking the logbook when the game crashed.

[EDIT] I just reloaded the Wizard battle save, left the Goblinstein Monster alone and had no problems. I wonder if Goblinstein's Mace causes the same problem as Krayn's Arrows.
    TRC

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Could be - more likely it is an ammunition problem again. Or a logbook issue - can you try checking the logbook? Logbook entires beyond a certain length cause CTDs - at least thats easy to fix ;)

6. The Royal Canadian

Re: Mad Wizard Crash Test

Hi Ted
    Now I'm confused. I just replayed the fight at the Wizard's Tower ( I had saved just prior to completing the "Fedex Quest" ) twice. The first time, I completed the Fedex Quest, went downstairs, Killed the Wizard (but left the Goblinstein Monster alone) and left the tower and clicked on every page and tab in the logbook. No CTD. I then reloaded the save, completed the Key, killed the Wizard AND Goblinstein, looted everything (well everthing that was worth lugging all the way back to the Keep), and went outside the Tower. As before, I clicked on every page and every tab in the Logbook, I then traveled all over the place, visiting every quest site outside the Keep at least once. Guess what ? The game never crashed !! I did discover that when you visit the Lizardman Refuge (former home of the "Scaly Child" you won't see a single Lizardman, but it is a perfect place to rest ( the Tent Icon is Green ). I will have to remember this for when you finally complete the Caves.
    TRC

7. Shiningted

Yeah, the Lizardman Refuge is a safe haven once the dragon is gone: I thought it made sense, since other critters would avoid the area for obvious reasons :) Of course, in the full version the Lizardmen will reappear there if appropriate.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  8. The Royal Canadian

Ink, Quill, and Parchment Bugs

Hi Ted
    I just want to report a few bugs with the Ink, Quill, and Parchment set that you can by from Geoffrey

1.) It only copies the first four books that you read. I don't know if this is a bug or not, but if you read three or four books and then buy the I,Q, and P set, those books will be automatically copied to your "journal".

2.) I happened to purchase an I,Q, and P set just before my party reached third level. After leveling up, I checked the "Journal" and it showed that I had accepted the "Grassy Gnoll" quest BEFORE I had spoken to the Bailliff. It also stated that the Bailliff would give me a jar of Keotom's ( This is how it is spelled in the Journal, I thought the correct spelling was Keoghtom's ) Ointment upon completing the quest.

The Royal Canadian

9. The Royal Canadian

More buggy items

Hi Ted
    I have a few more bugged items to report.

1.) During my travels, I encountered and killed the Summoner, and recovered his book "Magic Revealed". It is supposed to improve your sleight of hand skills, but in reality, has no effect whatsoever.

2.) I also encountered the Necromancer and recovered his book "Bakluni book of the Dead" ( or something to that effect ), which I traded to Flay for a pot of "Cerulean's Alkaline Balm" that had three uses left. Unfortuneately, I was unable to use the balm ( and I had every member of the party try and use it ).

The Royal Canadian

10. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Re: More buggy items

For what it's worth, exactly the same for me.

11. Shiningted

Thats a work in progress, but I DID think I had progressed it further than you mention, so thanks for mentioning it :)
    Another WIP that I didn't realise had snuck into the game - oops. There's actually a variety of interesting side quest items and minor doodads lurking in the game's innards, complete with nice new icons, but most are not quite ready for release or are there for later encounters.
    Bugger :scratchhe Anyways, since thats been confirmed I will get on it once my PC is back up :)

12. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

I've check and can't seem to find this problem menioned before, so sorry if it has.

When you get in trouble with the guards by keeping on carrying weapons, I got an option the threaten the guard out of reporting me, what I'm quite chuffed about. The problem is that as it dosen't automatically sheathe your weapons, the guard spots you a second later and the whole dilogue process starts over again. This sort of forms a rather anoying loop.

If you can't get the guard to ignore me for a few minutes, perhaps getting it so that the weapons sheathe anyway, or that the guard dissapers to be respawn the next time the map loads.

I have also encoutered a simmular problem on the 'freeing the prissoner for the thief guild' quest. (forgot the name). When I encounter a guard, a dilogue box starts and that eventually leads to an hostile encounter. The problem is that the dilogue box keeps on starting up again, during combat. I managed to get around this by charging them with my Barbarian before they spotted me, killing them in one shot. I take it that this shouldn't be the only way to kill them.

13. Shiningted

Yeah the second one was fixed but the file didn't get into a patch :(

As for the first one, I think that might get some sort of 'keep away from these desperadoes' reputation - and an unexpected encounter with a large posse come to arrest you later, of course.

14. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Here's a minor bug for ya, Ted:

I just noticed the Jewler's scalpel, which the item description says does Slashing damage, actually does FORCE damage like a magic missile. Makes it hard for the various undead to resist, eh?

15. Shiningted

Hmmm... are the two incompatable? Should really be both... DR Slashing is the one form of damage resistance it shouldn't bypass.

EDIT: No you're right, its force instead of slashing: dagnabit, that does make for something that stabs skeletons, which is pretty silly.

Ummm, try to ignore that :doh:

Last edited: May 7, 2008
Our Host!