Official KotB Demo Bug List

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Feb 3, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Half Knight
    I just did a retest, and your proposal didn't work. Here is what I did. I loaded the game, rested 8 hours ( the save I loaded was at night ) and exited the Inn. The guards were under attack, but Billy was not on the wall. I then did as you suggested and ran to the tower, spoke with the Bailiff, ran upstairs and out onto the wall. Still no Billy. I then when in and out of the tower ( at the top of the tower ) 5 times. Still no Billy. I then ran downstairs and exited the tower at ground level. Still no Billy.
    I then reloaded the same save, and rested for 8 hours. When I left the Inn, the guards were under attack, but Billy was not on the wall. I went into the Inn and when I came back out, Billy was on the wall. As I stated in an earlier post, I tested my method 60 times, and the only time it "didn't work" was when the game crashed to the desktop as a result from resting on the ground floor of the Inn.

Regarding the dog: I checked two of the saves I was testing. In one save I had told Maeri something to the effect of "Surely there must be a better way than killing it. The quest "Kill the Yapping Dog" is marked as Completed, but the dog is still "Mangy". In the second save, I haven't spoken with Maeri yet.
    TRC

2. The Royal Canadian

Hi Maggit
    If your spokesman wasn't carrying the item, you must use the dialogue "Clean everything in the party. We should be able to afford it". One note on this ( this is the dialogue I use all the time: so I don't overlook anything ): after the Fade out / Fade in, if you open the chest before speaking to Noddy, all your weapons will still be rusty.
    TRC

3. The Royal Canadian

Hi Ted
    You appear to be correct. I did a ( Yet another) test, and going in and out of the pub made Billy appear. Whereas going up on the wall only made the guards disappear. Thanks for the info on the drunks.
    TRC

4. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Just checked it - I can tell him that i've got rusty stuff in my
    pack. Then he takes it and wants to fix it. So... I guess this
    option shouldn't be available if the stuff is in another character's
    inventory.

I just encountered a Dire Boar in the Deep Swamp and it
    won't die of exertion. It's disabled and attacks but won't fall
    dead.

Egor doesn't close the door in Mad Hermit's Tower you can walk
    straight out if you want to.

Hmm... Should I encounter hostile children in the Mad Wizard's tower?

Haha! I've found the hidden ranger NPC! He should have fair
    hair if you want him to match the portrait. ;)

Angela, the NPC Bard should have blue hair.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  5. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

@The Royal Canadian:

If your system works, then it's fine :)
    Lots of people have different reactions in their installs; for example, i rarely have ctds, and the game runs really well, even in the strangest situations i could create, but i have the "6 seconds lag" in the keep, that nobody seems to have. :cartman:
    About the dog...yes. it will be always mangy...if you go to him after the quest, you'll see that it says "rufrufruf yapyapyap", and if you click him it would change ;)
    I didn't kill it neither, poor creature.

Did you know the "diehard" feat? ;)
    Yeah, that's a charcteristic of boars. They make wonderful animal companions.

Btw, i would like too to have animals for non-druids/rangers. Check the "animals" thread on private forum.
    An animal seller (let's avoid "pet", it reminds me of WoW!) would be cool, and the monster manual has lots of creatures that can be used as "companions"

6. maggit

D'oh forgot about that feat. :p

One suggestion on Maeri's Vial. Shouldn't it be usable
    even if it's not identified? Identification should say what
    it's real purpose is for.

After (or some time after) discovering the Deep Swamp
    map I've started to have random-encounter doors, windows.
    Not to mention that the world map has gotten really slow...
    Come to think of it resting is slow again too. I'll send you my
    save-game. The good news is - no CTD so far!

Guess I was overoptimistic about that one... My game crashed
    when I tried to enter Flay's house and give him an egg (I waited
    outside till morning and went in).

Well I forgot about the most important thing.

I had a really great time testing!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yes - it shouldn't be identifiable. Or it shouldn't change when you identify it: its just Maeri's vial. Maybe it should glow evil or something but it shouldn't need identifying. Meh - I'll test it.
    Eh? :blink:
    Yes they should. If I don't fix that, remind me again.
    its Nobby ;) As for this, I gotta say, Nobby was made to to work, not be exploit-proof, because the harder you try to make something exploit-proof, the harder people will try to exploit it. For instance, the chest is unlocked, so people can actually put stuff in it, pay nothing (or just enough to trigger the script) then come back and everything you put in will be cleaned for free. That is, its exploitable. Now, I thought about locking the box, but what would people do if they came across a locked box in the market place? They'd drop everything to get into it. So I left it wide open: people can go in and out when they want, and if they do it properly it should work, and if they do anything else then some other thing may happpen.

Thats not to say your comment was an exploit, TRC, but then its not strictly speaking a bug - if Nobby hasn't yet said he has done the job, then its not really a bug to find the job isn't yet done. Now, I understand there's a certain incongruity about having passed the time taken to do the job and finding its not done, then its done an instant later when you speak to him, and I will try and fix that, but I may not be able to (easily). Basically I will try to run the 'convert rusty stuff to good stuff' script after the fade out (or concurrent), and if it works all well and good, and if it doesn't... well, the reason I am explaining this at length is because I am actually pretty happy with how it runs now, and some of the less polished elements are due as much to botched attempts to make them perfect as anything else.
    Now that one IS a problem, I can't deny it. Its compounded by the fact that whereas the 'fix everything in the party' thing is on a loop (to do everything) the individual one just checks for each item - so if you have 3 rusty cutlasses, he might only fix one of them. I will alter the dialogue to reflect this, and introduce a 'check if there is rusty stuff' to that option.

8. The Royal Canadian

Visual Bug: Thieves Quest #2

Hi Ted
    I finished the second quest for the Thieve's Guild last night. It's great !! I love it !! I did however notice an interesting little "glitch". When I "lifted" the key from the Corporal, I saw 2 pairs of gauntlets "floating in space" above the character portraits. By the way, after I returned the key the Corporal, it is still listed in the keys section of the logbook.
    The Corporals Gloves.jpg
    TRC

9. The Royal Canadian

Hi Ted
    TRC

10. The Royal Canadian

Further Notes on Noddy

Hi Folks
    Just finished another couple of (rusty) arms shipments to the Keep. For what it's worth (seeing as the Demo doesn't exactly have huge piles of cash lying around), running shipments of rusty weapons to the Keep usually gets me a net profit of about 66 GP per round trip ( and that's assuming I don't encounter Bandits or Skeletons who "donate" their "extra, unneeded" weapons to the Keep ). Here are a few things I noticed about Noddy.
    1.) The first time each day that you ask him to "Just sharpen and polish the rusty stuff I'm carrying" he will clean up to 17 weapons at once. After that, he will only clean them one at a time for the rest of that day, even if you go and talk to someone else in the meantime.
    2.) If the character who asks Noddy to "Just sharpen and polish the rusty stuff I'm carrying" , doesn't have any rusty weapons, no weapons get cleaned, but you don't get charged anything either

Ted: As I said earlier, I wouldn't worry about Noddy. I think he is fine, just the way he is.

TRC

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  11. maggit

Well... I just over interpreted this bit of dialogue....
    Especially after this line. :p
    Well I guess I wanted Egor to be so stupid to close the door he'd forgotten to lock with my party inside. I guess I was expecting a humorous effect.
    April Fools' bestowing me with stupidity or something. :D

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  12. Dukk_Dodgers

Dukk_Dodgers Member

Could you elaborate on these possibilities, please? I reinstalled, and I keep getting the 'files being used by other programs' error. I looked, and I have a data, data.TOEE, and data.KoTB folder. Could this be the issue? I'm not sure how to do these. I'm assuming I can't just take the one data.KoTB folder, and dump it whole into the data folder. (?)

Thanks. Dying to play this mod. I've been gaming since '78.

13. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

If you have those folders, then you are doing fine. The 'files being used by other programs' bug is a common problem with ToEEFE (and hence in KotBFE too) which, I might add, we are close to fixing (a new version is being tested atm). Generally I think to get rid of it you try turning off anti-virus stuff: if it is scanning your files it can cause this error.
    No, you were right the first time, he does need a bit of polishing.

:icon_chuc

14. The Royal Canadian

Minor Typo ??

Hi Ted
    As I stated in another post, I just started a new game with a Paladin in the Party. I talked to the Provisioner to get the "Suffragette City" city quest. As part of the dialogue the Provisioner says his wife is "one of the finest tailors in the SHIELD LANDS" . If I remember the World of Grayhawk correctly, the Shield Lands are way to the North and East of the Yeomanry, where this adventure takes place.
    TRC

15. The Royal Canadian

CTD in Sewers

Hi Ted
    I just sent you 2 saves and 5 player files from a CTD I had in the sewer. To make a long story short, I cleaned out Milson and Co. , and when I exited into the sewer ( intending to clean it out as well ) the game crashed when I entered the sewer from the Thieve's Guild HQ.
    TRC

Our Host!