Official KotB Demo Bug List

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Feb 3, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

If he stays in the Tower, he should actually have dialogue to say he's not going to the pub anymore due to some bad experiences there. Also, if you beat him unconscious then he wakes up later, he shouldn't attack you: he was very drunk and will put it all down to a bad dream (this quest should be doable without having to get the Enemy of the Keep rep or having to kill him). In any case there is a far more subtle way to deal with him than having to do anything nasty.

The warehouse thing is a bug, though: I'll fix that. If he is disappearing it sounds like the 'get rid of him from the Warehouse afterwards' script is firing on the wrong map. This is a very complicated little diversion, obviously, and in the full game there will be the additional burden of having sensible reactions from the guards if anything does happen to him - whether you were seen leaving the pub in his company, that sort of thing.

2. biobaba

biobaba Member

I know the other ways but I was too cheap to do so.. so I clubed him

He also would get re-equiped when he went back to the tower...even after I stripped him is that also normal?

The other comment.. about the corproal thing...
    I am not sure it cant be fixed or not....

But I used a a male dwarf char went to the tower look for him... the "flerting" with the guards dialog still pops.... It was a bit funny..........

3. Shiningted

O yah... if you got the reputation, then it applies even to a male character. Probably shouldn't, but yeah, its funny so it can stay.

I don't know that I have a problem with him re-eqipping himself when he gets back to the Towe since the alternative - that he wanders around naked - is more unlikely. Its actually straightforward to check whether he is still clothed, so when I do his 'switch him off at the Warehouse' thing I can add that check and add some dialogue about it, probably dependant on whether the party still have his gear with them. If so, he busts them - if not, then he just wakes up hung-over and naked and assumes he had a really good night.

EDIT: Just to let you folks know, I have confirmed that problem with the guard in the Thieves' Guild and his arrows causing CTDs. Not sure what to make of it.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  4. biobaba

biobaba Member

--> I talked to the spiderqueen with just one egg in my party... after I choose the option of hand ove rthe egg but hide one for myself... Not only I can keep the egg I have in my pocket... the spider queen would get one on her as well

-->After you done certain things for the undertaker.... you would engage a conversatation where you MIGHT notice he has some poision and you can ask one from him... It seems lik eyou can make the dialog loop and get unlimited bottles of poision..

5. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

More Billy Notes

Hi Folks
    I am in the middle of my upteenth gothrough. This time I'm going to try to do it without using any NPCs. During my playthrough, I noticed a few things about Billy (the archer on the South Wall ). My party returned to the Keep after "business hours" ( by the way Ted, I hear the Cobbler hammering away at least 60% of the times that I go through or near the marketplace after dark ), with enough experience points for 3rd level. I had the party rent the furnished room in the Inn, and then leveled up the party and saved the game ( gametime was 22:39 ). I then rested the party for 8 hours ( per Ted's crashfree suggestion ) and went outside. The guards were under fire from Billy, but Billy was not on the wall. I went back into the Inn, came back outside, and he was on the wall. As a rule, for some reason I am less likely to have the "no Billy" problem if I try to run his "quest" during the night. This time was one of the few exceptions
    I reloaded the save and left the Inn while it was still dark. The guards were under attack, but Billy was not on the wall. I went back into the Inn, came back out, and he was on the wall.

Morals of this story:
    1.) Do your leveling up in the Inn, and save when you are done.
    2.) If when you leave the Inn ( after leveling up to 3rd Level ) the guards are under attack, but you don't see Billy, duck back into the Inn. He should be on the wall when you come back out.

TRC

6. The Royal Canadian

For Ted: Further Notes on Billy ( the Kid )

Hi Ted
    I did some further testing on "The Grassy Gnoll", and I think that the problem with Billy appearing or not appearing might have something to do with the map cache. Allow me to explain. I have three files from parties that I leveled up to 3rd level in the Inn ( during game nighttime ). I have loaded and reloaded both of these files a combined total of 60 times, trying different options ( resting 8 hours in the furnished room, resting 8 hours in the common room, not resting at all, making sure that everyone was armed before leaving the Inn, changing who was the first person out the door ) and with one exception ( a CTD after resting 8 hours in the Common Room ) the results were always the same !! My party would leave the Inn, and see the guards under attack, but no Billy ! The party would then go back into the Inn, come back out, and Billy would be on the wall where he should be.
    Now here is why I think the mapcache might have something to do with the Billy problem. When I orginally played two of the three files ( on March 26th and March 27th respectively ), I started the game session as I always do, by having the KoTBFE clear the map cache, and then loaded a file where the party members were 2nd level. I then played KoTB until the party leveled up to 3rd level, saved the game and played further until I was ready to call it quits for the night. In both cases, the first time out the door as a 3rd level party, my group had Billy on the wall. No problems at all. My normal practice when I start a game session is to clear the mapcache when starting the game. If you would like me to send you the respective files, let me know.
    TRC

7. Shiningted

Thanks for doing that testing. The thing is, clearing the map cache also clears the .pyc files, and if a critter has to recompile its .py file, it will then fire its first heartbeat even if it is not first heartbeat time (which can have all sorts of interesting results though no particularly bad ones). So thats probably what happens with Billy: either his, or the cats, is being forced to re-fire and that's triggering his appearance. I am still not sure why my workaround didn't work, but I will keep trying, albeit atm I am thinking more of a complete overhaul than a fiddling with the current set-up. Bbut thanks again for the testing - thats certainly handy to know :wave:
    Yup, they're bugs.

8. The Royal Canadian

RE: Billy ( the Kid )

Hi Ted
    I just remembered one other item. I don't know if it is significant or not, but in all the cases I mentioned ( all three saves, whether or not Billy was on the wall the first time my party exited the Inn ), the dog by the wall was Mangy.
    TRC

9. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

OOOkay, just a few things:

-The hammering noise, it's probably from the Blacksmith, not the market place.

-There's no need to renter the Inn if the guards are under attack but there's no Billy. Simply enter the Bailiff's tower, talk to him, and go upstairs. Entering the Inn or the tower it's the same, the map change would fire up Billy. Still, if when you go up it's not there, then yes, you need to reenter the tower and out agin to have him appear.

-The mangy dog, it will be always a mangy dog, unless you "talk" to him, at that point you'll see that it change to savage.
    If you have an animal companion in your party, and have the "select all" enabled (by this, i mean all the party selected), if you hover the animal companion, you'll see that it has no name, it says "wolf" or wathever the kind of animal it is. If you talk or select him, then their name appears (the same goes for NPC, like Meleny, which reads "farmer's daughter" or something like that). So, the mangy dog doesn't have nothing to do whit billy's problems.

What i did see, are some strange happenings in the Green Gryphon.
    Besides the naked guy and changing clothes Fanny, i've seen two others weird things:

-The two weapons mercenary, sharpen his blades as any other charcter with two weapons...but the knife it's invisible.
    -The old guy with the green shield sharpen his blade against...the shield of course.

This and some other "visual problems" makes me believe that the protos (or most probably the skms) should be revised.

10. The Royal Canadian

HI HalfKnight
    As I mentioned in a different thread, I found it somewhat amusing that the drunks were complaining about headaches. I always thought you didn't get the headache until you were "hungover" ( in other words: no longer totally drunk ).

TRC

11. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Aahh, exactly my point. You should have run upstairs directly, after speaking with the Bailiff.

Indeed, if you go out at ground level, Billy seem to vanish definitely.
    Well, that's what it happens to me; simply by talking/running upstairs directly, and if Billy is not there in/out the tower, it works.
    Basically:

-guards under attack, but no Billy
    -go to talk to the Bailiff, accept quest.
    -runs upstairs
    -go out (on top of the wall)
    -if Billy doesn't show up, enter the tower to the room that leads there, and out again (not out of the tower, out in the wall)

In any case, it's the same than what you do but in a different place :)

Did Maeri didn't charge you to kill a "savage dog"? That's when his name changes...but Ted knows about that.
    If you want to test that, go to a save pre-Billy, kill the dog and pass time t'ill he should show up, and see if it changes something

12. Shiningted

Some of these things have been fixed in the protos.tab but not released. The mangy dog is indeed the one Maeri tries to get you to to kill. Curiously no-one has mentioned the outcome - if you are an evil or chaotic party, you have to go kill it. If you are a good or neutral party, you complete the quest by refusing it. There's a couple of them in the game. But yes, its irrelevant to Billy.

For the record, I would just go back in and out the nearest door to make Billy appear. Going up onto the wall triggers other things (like making the guards disappear) so it may not work.

The drunks' headache thing comes from the assumption you have given them a beating. Originally if you spoke to them, whatever yuo said, they picked a fight. However, if you had any NPCs at all in the party, it turned into a general melee (and the guards etc didn't hesitate to use their weapons). Quite a fiasco really. So now the drunks only pick a fight if there are no NPC followers etc in the party, otherwise you get the headache floatline. I can live with it.

13. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Ted I've got a question about my Druid's Companion,
    whenever I fight he gets the floatline "Your companion
    is not able to fight such unnatural enemies". Should this
    happen to Druid Companions? The floatline appears even
    for summoned animals (they do fight however). Oh, and is
    it possible to have a pet for some other character? My
    Barbarian has got quite a high score in Handle Animal... so...?

EDIT: I'm an idiot it's all in the player's guide. :p
    This should totally be added to the In-game help... if only I knew
    how to do this... hmm...

Also: Nobby said he'll polish a rusty sword I had, the dialogue
    said he took it but he didn't actually. It stayed in the same place
    it was. I was talking to him with my party leader but the second
    character had the sword in its inventory.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  14. Shiningted

Did you use the 'everything in the party' option or the 'just the stuff I am carrying' option? And was it a longsword, cutlass, shortwsord etc?

15. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

It was a rusty short sword... I think I used the option to look
    in the stuff I'm carrying. Damn... I'm not sure I'll have to test
    it again.

PS. I liked that little detail when the bartender tells you to move
    on the right side of the bar. That's a nice pun if you look at classic
    RPGs. ;)

Our Host!