Official KotB Demo Bug List

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Feb 3, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Yep! I'm on the wrong thread. I should be on the "Need help with quest spoiler" thread, though it may actually be a bug.

My answer to the question is: Yes, I went up immediately.

By the way, this is a GREAT game! Have I said that lately (other than to myself continuously)?

2. Latmorril

Latmorril Member

I have only played for a few hours, in the Keep and in the Spiderwood, and overall the Demo is working well for me. I have experienced the slow world map and I also find that there is too little ammo available (I'm a bad shot, what can I say?)

A few other bugs:

- The breast plate I bought for my cleric at the game start basically behaves like a breast plate of semi-invisibility. When worn, only the head, forearms, shins, feet and the armour's Fauld/Tuille are visible. I can see how it could be useful if one were able to turtle! Playability is easily maintained with the purchase of a robe or cloak.

- On one occasion, the effects of spider poison remained in effect although my fighter's stats and indicators had returned to normal after resting 3x8 hours in the furnished room at the Inn, leaving him heavily encumbered. I just used another save and made the trip from Spiderwood again but I was not able to replicate the bug.

- The only crash I have experienced happened immediately after playing my second save mentioned above. I entered Flay's apartment after bartering with the Smith first thing in the morning (that after a rest and a 4 hour Pass Time- I was desperate for ammo!:) ) and crash. Upon re-starting the KotB Frontend I got a Critical Start Error. After a computer restart I was back in the action, gave the blacksmith a miss and emptied my pockets of spider silk.

- Upon emerging from underground with the merchant (the spider ambush was a nice touch, made for a desperate fight for survival) the on screen (not boxed) text and image were off to the left, the merchant's picture was almost entirely off screen.

The game experience you have created for us is truly impressive, thank you!

3. Ecthelion

Ecthelion Lord ofthe Fountains

For what it's worth:
    a) I have the Dragon with no elbows.
    b) I can pick the lock on the underwater treasure chest, but can't loot it.
    c) I was getting a CTD every time I entered a building in the Keep. I could talk to the merchants in the marketplace, or do anything else, but when I went into the Provisioner's, the Pub, or any other occupied building I got CTD. I then opened the saved game, left the Keep and returned to the Marketplace: same CTDs. Finally, I tried leaving and coming back from the Main gate instead, and everything has worked fine since then.

Many thanks to all the modders for this: it's great!

4. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Folks
    Awesome job !! I have only a few minor bugs to report so far.
    1.) When you visit the graveyard and check the "current map" it shows a small house surrounded by darkness
    2.) When you go into the Mausoleum in the Graveyard, the "Current Map" shows half of the map of the Provisioners shop.
    3.) The "Current Map" for the Main Gate shows the Ground Floor of the Inn of the Welcome Wench ( is this a bug or a backhanded joke ?? ). Furthermore you can't access the "World Map" from the Front Gate / Drawbridge area. I know it's a little bit of nitpicking, but it seems odd that you can access the "World Map" from anywhere INSIDE the keep ( except from inside a building ), but from outside the Keep your only choices are to enter either the Keep or the Graveyard.
    4.) On several occasions when I visit the Pub during Daylight hours, there is a Priest there who is totally non-responsive. When I select a character and click on the Priest, nothing happens.
    5.) On two occassions when I accepted the "In their Footsteps" quest, nothing was marked on my World Map to show me where to go.
    6.) On two or three occassions I have actually returned to the Keep after the Gates would have closed ( 1 or 2 AM ) and yet ( In spite of being told to be home before dark :eyebrow: ) the guards at the gate let me in. Not necessarily a bug, but something you might want to consider.

***************** SPOILER ALERT !! ***************************************
    I don't know if this is a bug or not, but last night I ended up in a certain cave with a certain merchant ( don't get any perverted ideas folks ). At any rate, I sent my 2nd Level Elf Rogue out on a Recon through the cave, leaving the rest of the group by the hole the merchant fell into. Eventually, the Rogue reached the exit, and when I clicked on the "door" the entire party ( merchant included ) was "pulled" out the back door. Is this a spoiler or a bug ??

Good Job folks !!

5. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Re: your spoiler, that's just the way the game handles door icons, unlike games like BG2 that require the whole group to be near the door to make it usable.

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I changed this damn title, finally! Administrator

Yah... but not all doors are like that. In at least one case the door requires the whole party to be present to escape: that sounds like another one I should do. Good call :)

Well, you folks seem to have found some interesting ways to get around the CTDs. Maybe we need a 'get around CTDs' thread because the more workarounds we come up with, the wider the 'cause' becomes and I am frankly no closer to working it out. I haven't been able to get a CTD game working by changing the graphics settings (though we've now had two people who say they could) but I notice we've now had 2 people say they had no trouble if they landed at the main gate not the market place. Maybe someone wants to try that?
    Yah, there's an animation going on in the marketplace even when the cobbler is switched off for the night. I'll fix that, but if animations are causing the CTDs, its worth remembering there is always one in the marketplace.
    Sounds like a bug.
    Yes? Hextorite stuff is worth less in the Keep once people realise what it is?

Actually, as Allyx mentioned somewhere recently, the non-identified prices are hard-coded.
    Sorry, thought I fixed that after the beta. Bug.
    Bug.
    Not a bug.
    Bug, already fixed for the next patch, being tested.
    Hmmm, sounds like I went off at HeJason a bit early on that one. Sounds like its implementation is inconsistent.
    You seriously want to be bailed up by the guards and go through the rigmarole of entering the Keep via the gate each time you come back? No, you don't. You really don't.

In any case, the '3 map locations on one map' thing you get in Hommlet (where you can arrive in one of 3 places on the Hommlet map) is hard-coded to one map.
    Rtm pg 2
    Are you suggesting the swamp didn't show up on the WorldMap? Or was it already on there from another quest (I think the spiders send you there)? If its already there, it doesn't get remarked. The quest says, "Let it be known that some weeks back, a group of adventurers did set out hale and well-equipped to explore the swamp south-east of the Keep." So you should head to any and all swamp areas south east of the Keep. There are no more specific directions because no-one knows what happened to them.
    Sorry, thought I got them all. Yes, some need redoing. Hate those things.

Thanks for the feedback guys (and yes I noticed the other bugs I am not responding to, can't answer everything ;))

7. Allyx

I beg to differ here, I certainly had the worldmap locations going to the graveyard, gate house and outer bailey when I was adding the worldmap paths. The worldmapper can change the map numbers fot Hommlet's locations, there are 3 numbered thusly - 05003, 15003, and 25003 though I can't remember which is which.

8. Shiningted

Eh? Are you serious?

Hmmm... I never opened the WorldMap tool. Well I'll have to have a look at that :)

9. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

1..Had my first ctd...exiting the inn, stayed for three days healing. I had payed for a month, (50gp I think).

btw...I met a bard upstairs that reminds me of a certain young lady I saw in a drive thru ;) whatshername?...just can't think of it:)

2..After solving "One big Harpy Family", (great name) I closed the deal with the druid, and received my scrolls, (quest turned green in log) I initiated dialog with him again, and he gave me the same quest again.

10. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

CTD After Escaping Spider Caves

Hi Folks
    I finally (unfortunately) suffered my first set of CTDs, and I can't figure out how to work around them. I just finished escaping from the Spider Caves ( I used a sneaky Rogue to pull my party through the backdoor , and I also fought my way through ). No matter what I do, I get a CTD. Starting with the sneakthrough here is what happens:

I return to the Marketplace, arriving about 4 AM and rent space in the common room. I don't know if this is significant or not, but everyone rested where they were for 8 hours. I then exit the inn and start walking towards Flay's house. About halfway between the Inn and Flay's house the game crashes.

For the second attempt ( I had saved just before I had the rogue exit the caves ), I carefully fought my way through the caves, and saved once I had escaped. Unfortunately no matter what I did, I got the same results: CTD . If I clicked on either the "Main Gate" or "Inner Keep" locations on the world map, the game crashed immediately. If I traveled to the Inn via the marketplace, it would crash as I walked through the Keep. I even tried resting for 8 hours in the Spider Woods, but it made no difference.

PS: Shining Ted, I email the two save files and my player files too you

The Royal Canadian

11. Shiningted

Thanks for that. I recently had this happen (finally) in my own game. I am trying to get a definite 'workaround' going both for my own sanity and so we can track the bug down once and for all.
    He should have run off. When you say "I initiated dialogue again", was it after he said he was leaving or he wanted to get down there or some such thing?

12. ethan_dawe

ethan_dawe Member

Great work folks!

No more CTDs since restarting. Haven't visited the tavern or hired any NPCs.

Possible wrong setting: In the swamp: giant lizards guarding cave, one at least deals non-lethal damage only......:yeaaa:

13. Shiningted

Yeah, a lot of animals are dealing non-lethal damage in their initial charge, i have got no idea why. I certainly haven't gone through and changed them all to non-lethal damage.

EDIT: Ok, the 2nd patch is out! Go get it at the Demo release thread HERE.

There's a mention of various things I've fixed, and a few of the things I haven't. Just to expand on a couple of them:

I haven't fully explored the Billy situation for people who find he ain't there any more. That (and the merchant calling out) are the 2 encounters I really wanted voiced for the Demo, since people might not even know they are going on if they aren't looking in the right spot. Probably the Billy thing had been going on on the map for a while but people hadn't gone down to that section to notice, so it had timed out. But I will look into it again and see if i can come up with something.

Regarding the Curate and Raise Dead, I had no trouble pulling off the first Raise Dead but the second one doesn't work. The reason for that, I believe, is simply that the Curate only has one memorised. Try coming back later. I am NOT going to 'fix' that because we gotta draw the line somewhere - there is no reason he should have masses of high level spells all ready to go. I realise we tend to bend the rules a bit in such games - make every weapon under the sun available to buy, allow every half-wit shopkeeper to cast 'identify' as much as needed - but as I said, we gotta draw the line somewhere. Otherwise, an evil party could get the Curate to use up all his slots as cure spells, then when he is finished, beat him to death.

I DID fix the blank dialogue and the Nuetralise Poison though :)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  14. Allyx

I beleive the non-lethal damage charge for natural attacks has been in the game forever, and is probably hardcoded. It's most certainly not a KotB exclusive bug, a workaround would be to tell them to move and attack instead, basically the same thing without BAB and AC adjustments for that round.

15. Shiningted

Ahhh but the charge takes you twice as far with an attack on the end. Still, I'll look into it Al :)

EDIT: Wow, thats bug 43 on the Atari bug-list! That really is early :)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
Our Host!