Nulb npcs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Hugh Manetee, Jan 8, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. windmillcrusadeR

windmillcrusadeR Windmillcrusader

Nice sting

i had no idea you could get the cannoness to join hte party. i always liked getting her to reveal herself by getting a very low iq party member (7 or lower) to diologue with her.

she'll get frustrated with the dumb comments about her age and then reveal her disguise.

2. CrimsonVirus

CrimsonVirus Member

The only annoying thing in all this, is that their portraits don't change upon the revelation of their identities or by recruiting them. :/

Hruda's portrait is uglier than the hezrou's!

3. windmillcrusadeR

windmillcrusadeR Windmillcrusader

Whooaa!?!?!
    that was wild. i've never taken a party of 3rd level characters through the temple.
    This was a factory flavored encounter, Otis and the nulb NPC possee.
    Otis' voice was in it.
    I'd never heard of this. i had to start over though cuz i hadn't enough intimdate to trigger the assassination thing of the barmaid.
    Wild encounter. i thought i'd seen them all.

4. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Is a cleric a must have? Cant I just have a druid to do some healing? Or do I need a cleric in order to get the cannoness?

5. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

I am also confused about the required level. There seems to be different requirements from some of the posts. The long posts says you need to be of 'low enough level', while some say that you need to be 5th level in order to get Otis the 3rd time.

Do I want to be 4th or 5th level to get Y'dey?

6. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Ranth
    Allow me to try to clarify things a bit
    You can use any characters you want. If you want to run a party of 3 Wizards go right ahead. To the best of my knowledge, getting Screng/ Y'Dee to join your party depends on only one thing: the average level of you party, which must be 5th Level or Less. Just make sure you changed you front-end settings to cover the number of NPCs you will end up with (Otis, Screng, Hruda, and possibly Elmo and/or Meleny).

I just checked some notes I took from the one time I recruited Screng and Hruda. Unfortunately I didn't jot down what level I was, but I am fairly sure I was 4th Level.
    I recruited Otis, snuck through the Earth Temple and rescued Wonnilon. I then returned to Nulb, where Otis left the group. I then rested my group in the house in Nulb and went to recruit Otis the next day. When I mentioned I had discovered factions in the temple (from talking to Wonnilon), he said that he would join and suggested that we visit Mother Screng (you do have the option of saying "We should be able to handle it without her help" or words to that effect). Screng then suggested talking to Hruda and adding her to the party.
    A couple of notes regarding Otis, Screng and Hruda:
    1.) I haven't actually tested this, but my understanding is that once you have all 3 in your group, you can never visit Nulb again, or they will all leave your group.
    2.) You can get Screng and Hruda to reveal their real identities (Y'Dee and Murfles) and if you are running a NG party you will find out that the woman killed with Y'Dee's broach was her sister Y'Doo.
    3.) Y'Dee will not want to visit the Temple of St. Cuthbert. She will say something like "They will be safer if they don't know I'm alive" . I don't know what will happen if you visit the temple with her in the party.
    4.) Other than the fact that they are much higher levels than your party (10th Level compared to 4th - 5th Level, with the exception of Hruda/Murfles who is a Fighter/Rogue 2/2) none of these people are exceptional. in spite of having several potions, scrolls, and a really neat staff for sale in her store (none of which she brings along when she joins your party), Screng doesn't have ANY crafting feats !! She only has a +1 Mace (no armor) and her stats aren't that great. Hruda is a decent NPC with some feats that could make her a deadly Longbow sniper. Otis is a decent 10th Level Fighter, but nothing special.

Considering the hoops and limitations you have to go through, I don't think it is worth the effort to recruit Otis, Screng and Hruda.

The Royal Canadian

7. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

I guess I am confused. I did everything 'right', and I have 5 characters including Otis (as the long post says) but she still says I have too many people. I have my PC/NPC settings to 3PCs, 5 NPCS, so I should be able to pull it off. Here is a pick showing the problem.

My cleric and druid are first. Then Elmo, then Spunior, then Otis.

Update: And I kicked the NPC mage out and she says the same damn thing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  8. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Did you try getting rid of some NPCs?

9. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Spugnoir and Elmo would so be gone.

10. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

I got rid of Spugnoir, same problem. I then quit TOEE and checked up PC/NPC settings and they were at 3 PC's and 5 NPC's still.

QUESTION: When you choose 3 PC's and 5 NPC's, and hit the update box in the selection window, does that save the game settings? I forgot to go Options > F9 to save all of the settings I think... Grrr.

@Necro, I am trying to use as many NPC's as possible. I want to hear all of the banter I have been missing out on. I usually only run straight PC's. I decided not to take Melany because her low strength pisses me off.

Update: Nevermind, when you hit the 'update' button it tells you that it is saving the settings.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  11. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Ok I read the dialogues for Y'dey. Apparently you cannot have more than 1 NPC when you talk to her. I guess I need to let Elmo and Spugnoir go in Hommlet, get Otis, Y'Dey and Murffles, and then go back to Hommlet to get Elmo and Spugnoir.

Reading her dialogue, you can also ask her if she can heal Bing. She says she cannot go to Hommlet right now, but you can get a heal scroll in the church's library.

12. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

I wholeheartedly concur. I did it just to do it but I wouldn't do it again because it would only be worth it if you were going to have Otis and Screng do all the killing so your PC's could level up instantly when they kill higher level monsters.

13. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

If you take Y'dey to Hommlet, she doesnt leave. If you attack people in Hommlet, she doesn't leave. If you attack the church of St. Cuthbert, she does not leave. Terjon does not recognize her and there are no fun dialogues with him when she is in the group.

Boo.

14. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

I guess that makes sense given that this was available in vanilla (or should've been?) and thus the possibility of changing party size wasn't taken into account?

15. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

The Y'Dey/Otis thing is a vanilla original. It's a waste of time, as any decent pc party will do much better. For all the hassle you get 3 medicore npc's that aren't much help in the temple. The whole thing is so poorly written that it's not worth the effort to do it. I think the assumption was that a smaller, low-level party would need help in the temple, but it doesn't work out that way. The npc stats are so poor that they're not very useful. Y'Doo? Please.

Our Host!