NPCs past, present, future

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Basil the Timid, Oct 25, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

other good guys

I would like to say that I am very willing to implement these changes on the new protos.tab, if Co8 so desires.

As much as I like Spugnoir's crossbow (and consequently Ray) abilities in ToEE, I think it doesn't really match his studious nature. Besides, Wonnilon is THE crossbow dude.

Spugnoir Wiz 7 - Improved Initiative, Combat Casting, Scribe Scroll, Lightning Reflexes, Brew Potion, Toughness
    *Interestingly in RToEE, Spuggy has no necromantic or enchantment spells and seems to favor Transmutation. I think Sitra posted something about how to change protoss for specialization.

Wonnilon Ftr 4 / Rog 4 (in 1st ed PnP) - not Ftr 3 / Rog 3

Kella Drd 9 - Combat Casting, Scribe Scroll, Dodge, Track

Elmo Rgr 6 - Two Weapon Style, Favored Enemy Goblinoid +4, Favored Enemy Undead +2, Point Blank Shot, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (Battleaxe), Weapon Focus (Composite Longbow)
    * Elmo is described in both modules as having Chainmail and shield (wooden in RToEE). Although Two-weapon fighting is possible with shield bashing, it is not possible with Chainmail (medium) armor. However, we should realize that Chain Shirts were not available in 1st ed and it does resolve this issue.

Otis - dead, but listed as Ranger 10 in 1st edition, but his title was Ranger Knight (level 9 in 1st ed), so perhaps Rgr 9 / Ftr 1. His equipment does not really give any clue as to what fighting style he would use, but it might be nice to make him an archer so as to be different from Elmo. Also, he has 7 followers: 2 giant owls, 4 sprites, and Murfles.

Thrommel (let's just go directly to his feats) - Alertness, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Mobility, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Lightning Reflexes, Silent Spell, Improved Sunder (The 5 underlined feats are granted by vampire template but, due to Mobility, already had at least Dodge).

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  2. shadow5

shadow5 Member

While its true in 1st ed. a Ranger Knight is 9th lvl a ranger doesn't gain followers until reaching 10th lvl ranger as there wasn't the same type of multiclassing as 3rd and 3.5 editions so if Otis has followers it stands to reason he'd be a 10th lvl ranger(Ranger Lord).

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well Otis comes with a bow... I take it Otis is a fighter atm? Who wants him to be a Ranger instead? Everyone, answer quickly!!!

Basil: I certainly won't be changing Terjon, but by all means post the stats for the other NPC followers (I only have 'Village of Hommlet') and I wil take them into account.

4. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

Doesn't matter to me if he is a Ranger, but I think I'd be a little miffed if he couldn't use a sword. And...what would happen to his armor?

5. Shiningted

Dunno - what did he wear in the original module?

He could still have his sword :)

6. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Wasn't the original module written for higher than first level characters? Isn't that why the NPC's were scaled down? Don't get me wrong. I'm all for adding a little texture to an NPC. But, making Otis dead, for example, just because he was dead in the module seems a tad under thought. I DO think Elmo should be a ranger, but 4th level, more or less, seems better than 6th or 9th level.

BTW, Otis would be fine as a ranger.

On the other hand, being able to get Screng, etc. into the party, at least once, WOULD be nice. :yes:

7. Shiningted

Nah. What would ToEE be without bugs? :p

8. Basil the Timid

the baddies

Shadow5 - Were there clear rules for # of followers at 1st ed. "name level"? Has my memory failed me?

GA - the above stats relate the NPCs' futures (+20 years) according to 3.0 RToEE, which features Hommlet, Rastor & the Temple of All Consumption, and the partially rebuilt Temple of EE (think Star Wars VI) - under the true masters' management.

Shiningted - I appreciate your willingness to implement some of these recommendations. The forum has taught me well to implement any and all of these changes for my own personal use. Thank you.

Zert Ftr 8 - Power Attack, Cleave, Two-weapon Fighting, Improved Two-weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus (short sword), Weapon Specialization (short sword), Dodge, Improved Initiative, Ambidexterity
    * His feats may appear quite messed up but he has feats exclusive for off-hand and exclusive for primary hand (power attack w/ long sword)

Lareth Clr 7 - Combat Casting, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (Quarterstaff) - but obviously should be club for ToEE. (I never could find his peculiar weapon in any 3.5 core book).

Hedrack Clr 14 - Alertness, Scribe Scroll, Power Attack, Cleave, Weapon Focus (Heavy Mace), Empower Spell

Falrinth Wiz 14 - Dodge, Empower Spell, Brew Potion, Craft Wondrous Item, Craft Wand, Craft Rod, Quicken Spell, Forge Ring.
    * Somebody made all the baddies magic stuff!! He might actually be a challenge if we could get Quicken to work.

Smigmal Redhand Ftr 5 / Rog 2 / Ass 7 - Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Weapon Focus (Greatsword), Weapon Specialization (Greatsword)

the ghost of Senshock Wiz 9 - Combat Casting, Improved Initiative, Scribe Scroll, Lightning Reflexes, Toughness, Spell Mastery, (missing one feat)
    Edit: The original module states that he made wands and potions. It also states he was level 9, not level 12 (regardless, protos.tab has his skill points set at 16, which is too high for even a level 12 character).

Let me know if I forgot anyone.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  9. Shiningted

The ghost of Senshock - lol.

I was thinknig more along the lines of Jaer, Darley, Taki etc. Any of them would be great :) But that Zert info is helpful :)

10. shadow5

shadow5 Member

Basil ,asper AD&D(1st ed.) A ranger at 10th lvl gains 2d12 followers.Anything from ahuman to a storm giant or copper dragon .The fewer followers ,the better chance of special creatures.

11. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

I believe the original ToEE was set for a beginning party of 1st levels who could then progress throught the entire campaign. I'm at work ATM, so I don't have access to my resources to confirm. But I'm pretty sure.

Otis as a ranger... why not? As long as he had good(great) bow skills and enough skill to use a sword effectively. I think it would be OK. I had a great time with using Serena and her sister as missle launchers in my party. With enough bow feats, high DEX, and the Rogue Sneak attacks, they were doing almost as much damage (if not more) than my front line guys.

12. Basil the Timid

They do not appear in RToEE so there are no "official" 3.x stats for them. Are you not handling non-joinable NPCs at this time? Would you like any assistance from me for them?

GA82 - T1 The Village of Hommlet was designed for character levels 1-3; the continuation was for characters up to 8th level. 1st edition level recommendations were always a bit loose. The only character that has been overlevelled, besides Terjon, is Y'dey. Wonnilon is underpowered level-wise, but the others are pretty much on the money. This thread was created by me mostly to discuss some conformity of feats and class selection to the canon modules.

13. Shiningted

Yes and yes: yes I am not handling non-joinable ones at this time, and yes I am more than happy to hear ideas about making the NPCs modularly consistent.

14. Basil the Timid

Ted, keep in mind for the levelling options for Elmo and Otis, if Rangers, could include Diehard without Great Fortitude since they should have Endurance at level 3.

15. Basil the Timid

So, it seems that there are folks having trouble recruiting Screng & Murfles after all. I have moved a posting from another thread to here (which a moderator may wish to move elsewhere)

Assuming that the level 5 average cap is not exceeded, the second condition, for which Y'dey has these lines, I believe is problematic:

game.party_npc_size() == 1 can join
    game.party_npc_size() >= 2 will not join

and Murfles has:

game.party_npc_size() <= 2 can join
    game.party_npc_size() >= 3 will not join

Perhaps something more akin to Turuko's would be better:
    game.party_size() <= 4 ( 7, in this case, followed by game.party_size() == 8)
    * If 7 is the party size, Y'dey can join but Murfles won't be able to join, which does fit the latter's current dialog possibilities)

I tried this but I couldn't get it to work

Our Host!