npc movement speed

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by sir_toejam, May 3, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. sir_toejam

sir_toejam Member

does anyone know if there is a way to manipulate the movement speed of npc's and monsters? some of them are just way too slow. I tried playing with some of the unlabled fields in the protos file, but to no avail. I suspect it is tied to the animation for the critter itself, but have no idea if that is modifiable or not.

any ideas?

BTW, thanks for the editor and mods. having a blast making strange parties and items.

cheers

2. Tallas

Tallas Member

I'm sure this doesn't help you much, but the taller you make a character, the faster they walk. Perhaps the same holds true for NPC's?

3. sir_toejam

sir_toejam Member

wellll....

it depends on the npc! i made a PC using zuggy's model, but that character is around 40' tall relatively, and still moves very slowly LOL!

It has to do with the animation modules, but I was wondering if anyone working on mods has figured out where to edit the animation speeds for running.

cheers

4. sir_toejam

sir_toejam Member

man, this board looked like it had all sorts of interest early on. Has it really died such a horrible death? Is there no-one left who is still modding this game??

cheers

5. Sagenlicht

Sagenlicht Established Member

Hmm I guess this isn´t totally fair Sir toejam. Some people really wait for the second patch to start over again, for example FredSRichardson released a KI fix just a few days ago, but decided to wait for more fixes until the second patch has been released. I also agree to wait, as it seems that the patch will come soon and it is frustrating doing some work that is not longer needed when patch 2 comes out.

So Sir toejam, give this forum some more days ;)

6. sir_toejam

sir_toejam Member

fair enough. i just got this game a couple of weeks ago, and have already modded the hell out of it, after applying all the available patches, including the ones here at co8. It's one of those games i have had as much fun modding as playing. the engine and Troika's mods to fit 3.5 ruleset are very interesting and have great possiblities (i played arcanum too :) ).

anywho, glad to see there is still life. If u happen to know someone who has monkeyed with the animation speeds, drop a note here eh?

cheers

7. sir_toejam

sir_toejam Member

ah, always nice to be able to solve your own problems.

the answer lies in columns 32 (walk speed) and 33 (run speed) in the protos.tab file.

increase these values to any integer you wish to multiply the walk/run animation speeds by that integer. works nicely.

cheers

8. FredSRichardson

FredSRichardson Established Member

Wow, nice work there ST (mind if I call you that instead of Sir_ToeJam?).

I've got a lot of catching up to do. You've really taken off with this game (and I still haven't worked through your tutorial).

Do you think we could centralize some material. I know your tutorial is in a thread over at the Atari forum, but it would be great to have the document as a resource in some area with other updated and useful files. Just a thought, but that forum gets crowded with so much stuff.

Well, I better start weeding through the bug list pretty soon... :)

9. Sagenlicht

Hmm, if you are interested I can offer some space for files on sagenlicht.org

10. FredSRichardson

FredSRichardson Established Member

I'm game :)

But I think it's up to Sir_Toejam since he's the one maintaining the tutorial. It would be good to have a place where he could update it easily whenever he needs to.

Actually, it would be great if we had access to the files area here. I'm not sure how or if we could do that...

11. Sagenlicht

To gain access to the files area here you would need to contact an admin but I am not sure if anyone of them is around atm.

I sent a pm to extium (I belive one of the admins) some weeks ago asking him to add my site to his link section w/o any answer until now. I belive he simply isn´t around...

12. fate666

fate666 Member

what about fly speed?

ok so those cover run/walk, what about fly. I have just done my first char mod with a harpy and fly is really slow. i will try to alter those col's but i know from other games fly spped and run speeds are different.

NM: it does effect fly speeds, i guess it actually controls model speed for any action, and not just run/walk

Last edited: Jun 5, 2004
  13. sir_toejam

sir_toejam Member

yup walk/run is just movement related (doesn't matter what the animation is, nothing really "flies" in this game (note that you can't fly over rivers, for example)

cheers

Our Host!