NPC Looting - Final Word?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Mattsky, Jun 23, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. Mattsky

Mattsky Member

folks,

tremendous work on the patches so far. It must have taken a lot of time and dedication.

One point - is there a planned patch to fix the NPC item looting problem planned? This sems to crop up regularly as a major gripe. I'm afflicted with the problem in my current game - whereby an NPC (Kobort, in this case) will loot items for all he's worth, get overencumbered and never drop and/or sell them of his own accord. You can't as a player remove items from his inventory either. I also had the same trouble with Zert.

I know an easy answer is to not use NPCs but that's a rather daft 'solution'. If I want to play with an NPC or 2 why can't I? Why should I limit my gaming experience because of this issue? And as for filling up their inventory with 'light' objects....sheeesh, what a hassle.....

I reckon, although I'm no coder, that it would be a relatively uncomplicated fix to enable the player to have full control over an NPC's looting of items, whilst they only loot cash, no? Tell me if I'm wrong! It's a real pain the way it is at the mo....

2. impe

impe Member

i believe the co8 fanfix fixes this problem....

3. Mattsky

Mattsky Member

um.......would that be 3.02? I'm either installing it wrongly, or it doesn't work ??? *sniff*

4. Huntsman

Huntsman Member

It should be in 3.0.2 and 3.0.3. Almost all items except jewelry and money are marked as "No NPC pickup". Did you start a new game after installing the patch? I don't believe it will work on any pre-existing games. Once the NPCs have the stuff, you're stuck. The patch just prevents them from adding more, it won't take away what they have.

If you don't want to start a new game, kill the NPCs, loot the corpse, then pay to have them raised. Personally, unless you're playing an evil party, I'd whack Zert and Kobort anyway. IIRC, they'll turn on ya (I know Zert will).

5. GothTart

GothTart Member

I got around that by filling the npc inventories with leather gloves, they don't weigh anything so don't encumber the character, when he tries to take something he has no room and so drops it, though this does sometimes cause the problem of the PC that picks it up not being able to drop or sell it as though he was an NPC.

6. Keolander

Keolander Member

The only other way I know is to let the NPC die in combat, loot their stupid arses and then get them revived. Had to do it to Meleny to get rid of that stupid rusty dagger and farmer's garb so I could give her stuff that actually worked. Now all I need to do is kill Fruella and things will begin to move apace :evil:

7. Mattsky

Mattsky Member

Ah, righto. Once they're Raised, the patch kicks in and they stop looting items. Groovy. Get rid of Kobort? Have you seen how much damage he does with Frostbrand? And the witty repartee, too! Ah.....forget that bit about the repartee. Just...well.....he hits things hard. That's good enough for me.

Our Host!