NPC conversions

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by wizgeorge, Jul 2, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well the module does state he is short on boundaries (Spike posted the relevant bit).

[Edit: George, if you are not afraid to hack dlg files, the protos will be a piece of cake. Download Phalzyr's proto-ed, load in the protos (back it up first!) run 'Lodriss' through the search bit (it should bring you to row 14133) then go across and after a while there will be the stats, can't miss them and you have taken a step into a larger and better world. If you do mod it, don't forget to hit save before you leave, it won't prompt you.]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2005
  2. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I'll give it a shot. I used the console to boost her scores and now she's 9th level and kickin' butt. Good looking, pretty smile while she hacks the crap out of you. She has all her dialogue from before and thinks she is still a merchant. In the merchant menu she has all her inventory since she joined and nothing else. I think she should be a recruitable npc from the get go. She's a nice addition.

3. wizgeorge

I got the editor and I changed her stats and then later on I did the same for Fruella and Meleny and the game crashed. It got to where the intro movie should start and ctd. I had to re-install and i'll try some more and see what's up.

4. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

If you look at the text below the blue loading bar you'll see that it CTD whan it says loading protos (clearing old).

what you have done is what I call a spelling mistake, there are three things that can happen when moding the protos;
    1. CTD at start up= something wrong in you code eg useableithem(0,1)
    2. make changes but nothing changes in the game= the game recoginses the code but, because either something internal overwrites it or the code is wrong but not somethig the game won't recognise like useableitem(1,0) instead of useableitem(0,1)
    3. it works and everything runs sweet.

I hope you backed up you're protos before hand, because often the mistake is so small that its very easy to miss, I recomend that you make small changes eg just one charater or item and then save and test, also are you options set to auto size on load, add/delete rows

5. wizgeorge

One change at a time and watch carefully. Got it working okay now. Ive got Lodriss all set and I"ll work on Fruella and Meleny later, and I save everything.

6. wizgeorge

Tried again and same thing,ctd. I think the problem might be Fruella's alignment. I changed it from true neutral to chaotic good and i think it wont accept it. I'll try again. The stats and level, feats, etc seem to work okay.

7. Shiningted

Hmmmm... shouldn't cause a CTD. When changing things, its generally best (I have found) to copy-n-paste from something nearby rather than type, to lower the chance of mis-spellling. Spent several hours yesterday with a failed mod going nuts, turned out to be one tiny typo :(

8. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

hmmm, not sure if thats what's causing the problem but it might be that some other part of the game needs her to be a particular alignment, just a thought while I'm thinking of how to solve my own modding problems.

9. wizgeorge

I finally got Fruella, Meleny and Lodriss fixed up in the protos files. I changed Lodriss alignment from lawful evil to chaotic good. She's way too good looking to be evil, plus with a smile like that she can't be evil. This next game is going to be fun!

10. camelotcrusade

camelotcrusade Head Boy

Hah funny. Getting Lodriss would be cool. Care to share your mod?

Did you figure out how to assign voices? I can't figure that part out.

11. Shiningted

12. camelotcrusade

camelotcrusade Head Boy

Thanks Ted. That lesson was cool, but kinda over my head. I read it but all I wanted to do was attach a boring pre-made voice to Pishella, just like somebody else did when they enabled Riana and gave her a pre-made picture and pre-made voice.

Then once your fancy one is ready I'll use that one if I can.

Anyway, can you tell me what column in the protos.tab I have to change (and even better, what number to put in there?)? I looked at Riana and saw she had a value in column 22 and Pishella didn't, so I got all excited and thought maybe if I used that value Pishy would have a voice. But she dunnit.

13. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Does Pishella already have a voice set assigned to her?

14. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

It's not something you can do in protos alone. Protos just links to the scripts, which then link to the dialog, which then link to the voice files. You have to do everything Ted did in the tutorial. You have to write scripts, you have to write dialog, and you have to set up a voice file. If you can't follow the tutorial, you can't do it. That is what was done for Riana.

Now, for the uncomfortable part. Please stop cross-posting the same question in multiple threads. Trust me, the people best able to answer your questions read all the new posts. They will respond when they have the answer and the time to do so. It make take some time, but if they have the answer, they will eventually give it to you. Cross-posting multiple times will not make the answer come faster. Quite the opposite in fact. It will make them not want to answer at all.

15. Shiningted

Ummm, what they said. You have to add "yes", "no", "I'm encumbered" etc lines to the dlg file then record mp3s that match those lines. Not as hard as it sounds, but a lot more than just putting a number in protos.tab.

Did Riana get added later? Nahhhhh... reallly?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
Our Host!