Note Creation Help

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by muny21, Mar 15, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. muny21

muny21 Member

i am having trouble with creating a note. i followed ted's tutorial on creating a note and when it comes time to see it in game it just comes up blank. these are the steps i took:

1. i created a new prototype gave it the next available numbers for notes which was 1108
    2. then i added a line at the end of the file "written_ui. mes". the line for that was {5}{TAG_ASSASSINATION_NOTE}
    3. then i added the name TAG_ASSASSINATION_NOTE to the "help.tab" at the very bottom creating a new line to the file. i then wrote the text of the note in the help.tab.
    4. i then copied the "written_ui.mes" to my data/rules folder and the "help.tab" to my data/mes folder.

so when i tried it in the game it shows up in the inventory with the name i gave it and it shows up blank.

can someone please help me with this. thanks

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Sorry I didn't get back to you by PM, it was bed time here. I assume you mean prototype 11008 (not 1108).

I guess the main things are

- make sure it is obj_t_written in the first column of the prototype

- make sure columns 22 and 23 also say 11008

- make sure you have the '5' in col 92 of your prototype

- make sure the spelling of TAG_ASSASSINATION_NOTE is identical in both written_ui.mes and help.tab (always use copypasta)

- test it with a new game just in case

3. muny21

muny21 Member

i did everything you said and it still ends up blank. this is what my written_ui.mes looks like:

{0}{TAG_TUT_LOCKED_DOOR_REMINDER}
    {1}{TAG_ASSASSIN_NOTE}
    {2}{TAG_BURNE_MAP}
    {3}{TAG_ALIRA_MAP}
    {4}{TAG_TERJON_NOTE}
    {5}{TAG_ASSASSINATION_NOTE}

and here is the help.tab:

TAG_ASSASSINATION_NOTE TAG_DUMMY Sealed Letter To My Best Assassin, We have finally discovered the location of our little pest. They are hiding out in the old Ogre Caves. You are to find them a kill them all. I have a nice spot in my trophy room for their heads!! Bring them to me or your head will be on the wall!! May your blade be swift!! Big Boss

the return carriages are after "To MY Best Assassin" and also before "May your blade be Swift" and before Big Boss.

i do not know what i am doing wrong. it is very frustrating. if you can provide more help i would appreciate it.
    thanks

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

That all looks fine. Welcome to ToEE modding - pick up your frustration at check-in ;)

I'm sorry but I honestly can't see anything wrong with it. :shrug:

5. muny21

muny21 Member

lol yeah it is frustrating and i don't see anything wrong with it either. maybe i should just start over. good thing i have not gotten too far in my modding yet. that why i am trying to do everything before i really start my mod. thanks for your help again.

Our Host!