North Korea is threatening nuclear war again

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Necroticpus, Jul 25, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. ithildur

ithildur Established Member

Ah alright, so you were mostly kidding/saying things tongue in cheek... hmm. :twitch:

Hugh, 'keep things civil' is great, but when someone is posting what initially appeared to be content of highly inflamatory nature I don't believe it's 'keeping things civil' to bury one's head in the sand; in fact there are times when in the interest of keeping things civil members of the community (and eventually moderators) may need to question whether some things are out of line.

I've seen a few of Necro's posts before where he exhibits his particular brand of humor so I did wonder if he might be saying at least some of this stuff tongue in cheek, if nothing else simply because it was so over the top...

Humor doesn't excuse everything under the sun, but in a society as cynical as the one we live in, if someone can come across as witty or clever enough they are allowed to get away with murder, both figuratively and literally... somewhat ironic, considering the subject at hand.

2. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

For all practical purposes, North Korea is already a country overrun by local bandits who are the legal authority, and North Korea already is a breeding ground for non-religious (and training/funding ground for religious) fanatics who want to crawl out and bomb us. That's why they are on every Western intelligence service's top-5 list of rogue nations that support terrorism.

I'm not advocating the GW should steam up and start launching airstrikes, but if they really want to start something, we could certainly finish it. Re-read the thread title again - it pretty well describes North Korea's international relations for the last 60 years. With heavy emphasis on the word "threatening."

3. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

And how many people outside Korea did they harm?

4. erkper

Why, do the people they kill inside Korea not count?

As for numbers, I'm not sure - how many South Korean sailors were on the ship they sank a couple of months ago? And of course that was just the latest example in a 60-year campaign of terror and violence by the North Koreans against the South. South Korea is a sovereign nation, and don't think for a minute that the last US soldier killed in Korea died in 1951, either. NK is infamous for it's sniper activity along the 38th Parallel DMZ.

5. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

There has been a regular death toll for decades. They've assassinated civilians in SK. They've killed U.S. soldiers in the DMZ. They have NO problem murdering foreign nationals outside their country.

Murder is just one of the things they do to get attention.

When I was in the service in the '70's, the DMZ was the most dangerous posting you could get.

6. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

There was no distinction in my question between South Korea, North Korea and Demilitarized Zone...
    And you gave exactly the answer I thought I will get.
    Which says they did not harm anyone outside Korea, at least no solid proven facts are there.
    (Facts of spies assassinating someone do not count, because we can not know for sure whose spies they were...)

Somehow I think you will not like that, Erkper and GuardianAngel.
    Can we pretend that I have never posted this?
    Or maybe you can take into account my mitigating circumstance - that I am born in a red commy state and thus can not think clearly, when it comes to other red commy state?
    No, really, my father says that I am zombiefied by Soviet propaganda. Right in the womb I think, because there was not much propaganda after I was born, as far as I recall.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  7. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

There are no innocents when it comes to ANY country's military, except for their civilian victims. How much indiscriminate raping, murdering and pillaging did the US soldiers commit in Vietnam? How many people in Iraq lived under threat of death and worse just under Hussein's watch? It happens everywhere, no matter the culture. Power brings out the bad, never the good. If there were to somehow be a country that was a shining beacon of heavenly light, I would say that it was a first in man's history.

In this case, I don't believe anyone in north or south korea is blameless, as much as they would like us to believe. The one thing that you can always count on is man's inhumanity to man.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  8. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

Ithildur when I said keep things civil.
    I didn't mean don't express yourself.

It's depressing when an intelligent debate descends into name calling and insults.
    Take a look at a page from youtube about the afghan war and you will see what I mean.

If you want to tear a strip off Necro because something he says offends you go a head, it won't be the first time someone's done that.
    But do it with facts and a rational arguement .

9. erkper

Actually there is quite a lot of solid proven fact that North Korea supports and actively participates in terrorism outside of the Korean Peninsula, but even if you totally ignore the evidence that NK supports global terrorism, and has for years funded such groups as Al-Qaida, the IRA, the Red Brigade, etc - I'll just repeat my first statement: do the people they murder in Korea (be it North, South, or wherever) not count? Is it ok for North Korea to send terror squads into South Korea to assassinate civilian town leaders? Is it acceptable for North Korean snipers to shoot US or South Korean soldiers manning their posts on the South Korean side of the DMZ?

Except of course when the North Korean spies/terrorists are actually caught and killed or captured by the ROK after they assassinate their targets. Which happens quite regularly.

I do have to ask, Sergio - I assume the brainwashing/propaganda comments you made were mostly in jest, so why in fact are you defending the North Korean regime when even your own government generally agrees with the depiction of NK as a rogue state?

10. Necroticpus

Well said. I really am just a big huggable teddy bear at heart and offending somebody through my actions or words is farthest from my mind. I am very sensitive and emotional and nurturing on the inside and it hurts my feelings when someone, even a disembodied stranger from the internet that I probably will never even meet, says mean, hurtful things about me. I am human, just like everyone else and when I get cut, I bleed. I am a people person above all else and wish for nothing but the best towards my fellow brothers and sisters in the world and wish we could all just get along. I just want to see positive things and not the negative. I love everybody equally and I have so much of it to give.

Can we get a hugging circle going, please? I need some support and an understanding shoulder to cry on. I regret starting this thread if I knew it was going to cause harsh feelings and fighting. We're one big family here and should treat each other as such. You can pick your friends but not your relatives and there will only ever be one each of them.:hug::heart:

Now I must go purge these feelings of inadequacy with a good cut and cry and burning myself with cigarettes.

I'd love to wear a rainbow everyday
    And tell the world that everything's OK
    But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back
    Till things are brighter, I'm the man in black

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  11. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Wow! You are even worse when you are being sweet! :p

For what it's worth, I doubt any of the actors in this little drama in Korea are as pure as the driven snow. But it's easier to respect a country like China that has betrayed it's Communism to build a stronger economy, than to respect countries like North Korea, Vietnam and Cuba who choose to maintain their Communism and remain economic basket cases.

Was it V. I. Lenin that said that a communism cannot tolerate a capitalism next door?

12. Necroticpus

Ya, it was Lenin. I had to do a quick lookup because I was thinking of something else that was way wrong and didn't want to invite someone to go all Mel Gibson on me.

13. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

I believe Marx said there were stages along the way before true communism was reached. One of the stages was capitalism..iirc, it wasn't an early stage either.

14. darkjedi

darkjedi Member

Sergei Morozov, if NK so far had not harmed anyone outside its border, it was only because we made stringent efforts to rob them of the capability to do it, after having known that they might try doing so. They do have the will to kill people outside the Korean border if it fits their interest. That is why NK needs to be continuously weakened and kept weak, because if they do become a capable military force, they will really be able to do what you truly fear.

Threat to other nations who are unfriendly to NK mainly comes from NK's nuclear ICBM ambitions (ICBM is not aimed at ROK because it's right next door). NK had tested the Taepodong-2 missile twice in the past handful of years, and the latter test had proven that NK was making a slow but sure and steady progress which with high probability will culminate with success and bear fruit. We then put sanctions forward to squeeze NK's coffer dry, and to bar its access to technology transfer, and conduct military exercises close to its border to remind NK that its nuclear brinksmanship will not go unanswered.

And in reality their asymmetric threats on ROK alone is already enough of a threat to international security, as ROK is world's 9th largest exporter, and still fastly growing. Exclude the export revenues of raw materials or natural resources, or from entrepot trade, and ROK will enter the top five in purely consumer product market. ROK's sudden removal from world economy due to its recuperation commitments after a war has a potential - though of course not a complete guarantee - to have an impact on the world that will echo through modern history. Something of extreme economic change like a global financial crisis doesn't always come from mortage fraud or credit mismanagement alone.

15. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

North Korea is not really a communist state.
    It is a familly dictatorship.
    The economy failed not due to a political ideaology but through the usual evils of corruption and incompetencs.

The society is kept closed to control the people.
    There is an elite class which runs things anf benefits from the system.
    There is no support for the rest of the population, many of it's children are fed by the UN.

Cuba's ecomomic state has a bit to do with decades long ecomonic blockade by it's powerfull neighbour.

The Soviet Union put the first man in space.
    I think once again it's decline was due more to corruption and incompetence under Leonid Brezhnev and the living corpses that ruled after him.

I'm not a communist.

Our Host!