Noob needs help getting to Welkwood Bog

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Morlock, Aug 28, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Morlock

Morlock Member

Hi,

I just bought ToEE a couple of days ago from GOG and I installed the latest Co8 Modpack (7.3.3) New Content too. First I installed 7.3.0 Standard but I wanted Welkwood Bog so I could just start adventuring and skip all the stupid Fedex work.

But no matter what I do, I can't get the Blacksmith to offer me "something different" or Renton to say anything about any kind of adventure, including an adventure at any kind of bog.

Can someone please tell me exactly what I have to do to get Welkwood Bog to start? And exactly how I confirm which version of the Modpack I have installed?

I really want to like ToEE but this is getting pretty frustrating.

2. Morlock

Morlock Member

I'd also like to know why this game is so GD temperamental about screen resolution. I get it to work only if I set my monitor to 1440x900 (which is too high, the characters - character avatars not fonts - are really tiny at that resolution), then I set the CFG to same, and it works, then I change it, and it crashes, and I change my monitor back to 1440x900 and the CFG to the same and it crashes again anyway. WTF?

3. woolysockofdoom

woolysockofdoom Member

If you changed an initial install from sans New Content to New Content, you might need to start a new playthrough. Were you loading a save game from before the change?

Edit: When loading the game up the splash screen should show the version number of The Circle of Eight that you are loading. If you have the New Content installed, it will show NC below the version number.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The version number is listed on the splash page (though 7.3.3 is still called 7.3.2), and you can look in the Co8 section of the help system in-game as well.

If Brother Smyth's not saying anything, it sounds like you're playing standard or (!) vanilla.

You most definitely need to start a new game with each different module, though the patch (7.3.3) will work on saves from any 7.3 installation within the standard/NC family respectively.

7.3.0 NC to 7.3.3 NC - saves will work
    7.3.0 standard to 7.3.3 NC - saves will not work
    7.2.0 NC to 7.3.3 NC - saves will not work
    6.1.0 standard to 7.3.0 standard - saves will not work

Etc. Note that you also have to activate the module you're playing via the front end, as per the instructions.

I don't really follow about your monitor issues ... why are you changing resolutions so much? The most reliable widescreen playing method is to simply play ToEE at whatever your monitor's native resolution is. If that's not supported, choose the next highest resolution available. Also, resolution setting can be handled through the front end. Why are you changing your config file manually?

5. Morlock

Morlock Member

My FE says 7.3.0, even after I install 7.3.3 NC. Do I have to install 7.3.3 Standard for 7.3.3 NC to work? If I click on Add-ons in the FE it says I have no add-ons to install.

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The version number for patches (like 7.3.3) is not updated in front end.

Clicking the addons button in front end will only show addons that are available for the currently activated module, so if you are playing 7.3.0 NC, the 7.3.3 standard addon patch won't show, and vice versa.

To install the 7.3.3 NC addon patch for 7.3.0 NC:

• Make sure 7.3.0 NC is activated in front end.
    • Download the 7.3.3 NC patch.
    • Double click the download and follow directions. This will put the patch where it needs to go so that front end can find it.
    • Click addons in front end.
    • Select the 7.3.3 addon.
    • Click activate and wait out the process.
    • When it says it's done, click play.

7. woolysockofdoom

woolysockofdoom Member

It sounds like you're trying to use the 7.3.3 NC patch with the 7.3.0 standard install of the game. This won't work. You need to install 7.3.0 NC in place of the 7.3.0 standard, activate 7.3.0 NC, install the 7.3.3 NC patch, and then activate the patch via the add-on view.

Edit: Also, you said you got ToEE from GOG. Be sure to check that the 7.3.0 version of the game and the 7.3.3 patch all install to the correct directory (Program Files\GOG.com\Temple of Elemental Evil).

8. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

*Points up*

6 posts and he's already giving expert advice.

Correct, useful and helpful advice I might add. :thumbsup:

9. woolysockofdoom

woolysockofdoom Member

Haha, thanks sirchet, but I'm benefiting from a wealth of information available here. Just trying to help!

10. Morlock

Morlock Member

Sorry for wasting you fellas' time, but basically I just needed to RTFM. I guess I was in a hurry when I DLed the mod, and then forgot I was in such a hurry when I DLed the mod when it came time to install, because usually I'm pretty deliberate about these things. Or maybe I'm just going senile. :)

Like I said, I just needed to RTFM. I didn't realize that 7.3.3 was patches, not the full monte, and I didn't realize standard and NC were two totally separate tracks. I've got it all sorted out now and actually managed to kill some kobolds last night. Thanks for the help.

11. sirchet

Good to hear Morlock, please feel free to let us know how the adventure goes for you. :)

12. Morlock

Morlock Member

Well, it was short. :) Actually, it hit the spot perfectly. It put my party around 800 when I was done, so all I had to do was kill the spiders for the woodcutter and then kill a few wandering monsters and I leveled up. I had to run through it twice, so it was enough of a challenge, but easy enough to get a noob into the game. Just right. I played BG back in the day but this game is different enough that I still feel pretty noobish. I keep trying to pause with the space bar, lol. One change I really like is the disabled/bleeding thing. It adds drama without killing your players off left and right. Gives some cushion between a player being out of the fight, and bam! youre dead. At least, I don't think BG/BGII had the same rules and mechanics for that stuff, I could be remembering it wrong.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the mod, and for saving me from all those fedex quests. They had me bored to tears.

13. Goshi3156

Goshi3156 Dire Badger

Yeah, BGII uses the 2nd Ed ruleset whereas ToEE uses the 3.5 ruleset. So the mechanics between the two games are quite different. The game's mechanics would be more similar to say, Icewind Dale II or Nevertwinter Nights.

14. sirchet

Keep in mind that if one of your party is on the ground bleeding out they will die once they reach -10HP, unless they make their saving throw, or one of your party uses the "Heal" skill on them and succeeds in a successful heal.

15. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

There are so many potions in the game, that I find the heal skill useless. If you give the bleeding character a potion, he stops bleeding out and regains some hp. Much better use of an action imo.

Our Host!