Nodes slowdown issue: thoughts and conclusions

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Agetian, Nov 6, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

No offense to anyone, but I'm with Allyx on this. Splitting up what are already fairly small maps into even smaller ones would make travel tedious. It would be better just to redo the offending maps from scratch. In the module the nodes were much larger and open. This would also be labor intensive though. I think Allyx's work is enough. 30 second lags I can live with.

2. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

Not that I have much to add here, but I'd be thrilled to see a drop from 15 minute freezes to minute or two pauses; only having to wait 30 seconds would be luxury. ;)

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I am going to re-post here, the node fix files I posted when we first started tackling the node lag problem, perhaps some of you who are new here, or perhaps anyone else who has a save they can load in the nodes (without having killed everything in sight) can give these files a test run and post feedback?

Node-fix.rar contains the files that I found best reduce lag, Node pathnodes.rar contains new pathnode.pnd files and mobs for the nodes.

How to test
    First add Node-fix.rar (for frontend users) to your ToEE instalation folder, and load the game, test the node maps - all 4 of them. (please have a stopwatch to time the length of any lags, and the number of lags if so inclined to do so)

Then add the Node pathnodes.rar file (for frontend users) to the ToEE install folder, overwrite the pathnode.pnd files from the Node-fix.rar and repeat the test process.

Then add the Node-fix.rar again overwrite the new pathnode.pnd file with the old one and test.

post your best combination, lag times, feedback, or just tell me to STFU as you see fit. ;)

Attached Files:

4. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

Downloaded, but it will be a while before I'm in a position to test. Will post when I get there.

5. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I realize these are just for testing purposes, but are these mobs based on the updates for 5.0 (which I think CtB recreated all the mobs for) or prior to that?

6. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Yes, the mobs were taken from the 5.0.0 mod, and edited to remove any script overrides within them (not sure if there actually were any, but I know Blue didn't remove the script overrides).

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Just to add to the knowledge base here (4 years later, lol ;)), I have tried a couple things:

1. Resectored the Earth Node so that there were no passages left whatsoever, just one big round earthen room: still got lag.
    2. Added a bunch of additional pathnodes to the Earth Node: still got lag.
    3. Mad an entirely new map for the Earth Node (by this I mean not map 5082 - a new map appended to the end of our current map list) and slowly added all the components back in, testing every step of the way: still got lag, but only after absolutely all of the components were added back in (mobs were the last).
    #1 doesn't sit very well with the theory set forth above re: sectoring and pathnodes, and would likely mean (I think) that designing an entirely new map would not solve the problem.

Noting in #3 that it wasn't until the mobs arrived that lag came along too made me wonder if the mobs were ultimately responsible* ... but there is no commonality among mobs across the Fire, Air and Earth node maps that I'm aware of.

*Funny ... I'm sure that everybody who has ever undertaken to test the Nodes has identified a culprit this way, and probably every element of a map has been blamed at some time or other. "It's teh mobs!" "Noes, it's teh sectorz!" :giggle:

8. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Having done no testing whatsoever, if you believe the mobs are responsible, each node does share a gem for the golden skull. Perhaps these mobs share something in common, some bug, that slow it down.

When you were testing, did your party have the golden skull?

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I think I tried once getting rid of the gems on that basis (or on the basis that a 'Node Guardian' was the one thing that set these maps apart from the rest of the game) and it didn'twork, but try again by all means.

The last consensus opinion was the pathnodes, before the mobs... :scratchhe

10. Gaear

Yeah, strange that I had no issues with the pathnodes (although the Earth Node actually seems to work better without them - not much long range travel possible anyway).

@Ranth, I did not have the GS. If the gems were the culprit, they would have to be only partially to blame, as the the Water Node has no lag (but does have a gem I assume).

Anyway, I was mainly taking a shot in the dark at the new map possibility here, but nadda. At least we know that was Ag and Steve said was true: the maps themselves are not evil.

11. DarkStorm

DarkStorm Established Member

Well I never really got into this to be honest (I don't even remember my playthrough where I got into the nodes. And I really don't remember having any lag problems).

Which nodes do lag? I might take a shot at it.

The only thing I can think of is the massive amount of particle effects in the nodes. The water node doesn't really have any, though. I don't know how ToEE behaves if it can't find particle systems that are supposed to spawn, but can you try running the nodes with no removed components, but the partsys*.tab files being empty?

Regards,
    Storm

12. Gaear

The laggy maps have traditionally been the Air, Earth, and Fire Nodes (not Water), and Temple Level 4, with a runner-up being the Fire Temple area of Temple Level 2 specifically.

Also, if you've never experienced 'lag,' it is really better described as 'lock;' the game will freeze for periods of time ranging from a few seconds to several minutes, then eventually it will come back to life.

It can be difficult to test and measure, because different systems do indeed seem to be impacted to different degrees. I never get it for more than a few seconds at a time myself.

13. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

I experience it the worst in the fire temple area with the cleric on level two. I think DS might be onto something with the particle system being the root problem. All the fire in that area from the boiling lava and the flaming salamander guys is probably the culprit.

14. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

So it's the particles! GET THEM!!!

:p

Do the Air and Earth node have particles in them? I think there aren't many. And they do lock up.

Also, while the Fire Temple area does lag, it doesn't really lockup like the nodes do.
    And the lockups are usually triggered by scrolling the screen.

15. DarkStorm

DarkStorm Established Member

The monsters do. Take a close look at the earth elementals. They actually spawn a *lot* of particles.

I actually had this problem in my EvilTemple iterations of the particle system. Off-screen particle systems are suspended and resumed when they come into view. If implemented wrong, it'll spawn all the particles it missed in one go ;-)

Regards,
    Storm

Our Host!