No-Cd crack and Rad tools - necessary to install?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Zebedee, Aug 15, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

On such pinheads do angels dance... ;)

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Re: Wondering if this will work.

Huh? What? You need me to dance on a pinhead? Isn't he having fun YET?

Hey, guys! GA joke: How many Angels can dance on the head of a pin?...ALL of them!...Is this mike on?

So, I'm guessing the howdy smiley has answered my question on where .dll fixes are. Or am I still confused?

Is there a definitive discussion thread on: Regular Installation vs. No CD vs. RAD, yet? Or should people experiment while keeping Reg stuff in the same order?

3. Zebedee

With regard to RAD tools, there really shouldn't be a need for them to run the bink video. But some people find that RAD tools help. Should we recommend them for everyone to download or not?

No-cd is definitely a more difficult subject. But as a grey area legally, it's best we mention it in passing as one way to fix the problem and allow the individual user to exercise his/her own discretion on whether or not to circumvent the copy protection of a game which they have bought legitimately and cannot play due to any problems which may result from the copyprotection method used.

I'm presuming that if we bundled the .dll into the .exe we would be breaking the license agreement and by disseminating it be in breach of whichever copyright law Atari have chosen as the best to protect their property. I've not checked the licence recently and when I got a legal opinion on the whole issue of Co8, .dll work and bundling it wasn't really one of the priorities to check up on.

There's probably going to be some amendments and updating to the 'how-to-install' guides, and it would probably be an idea to have some of the more technical problems which may have solutions written down with some ideas on solutions. That said, one assumes a certain amount of computer proficiency, yet this isn't always the case. Which makes it kind of hard ;)

4. GuardianAngel82

People seem to be viewing the crack as a necessary part of installation. I considered it myself when I first installed it to this wonderful Vista computer. But, playing musical random installs magically got things running.

I still occasionally can't get my cd/dvd drive to recognize my disk. But, when this happens, I restart and let this piece of wonderful sit "idle" for a while I play on my old (ME) computer.

Briefly, generally speaking, what other areas does the crack possibly help?

5. Zebedee

It seems to help with Bink video issues. Goodness knows why. Sacrificing chickens also tends to help. :stoned:

Moving these posts to new thread. - Zeb

6. GuardianAngel82

That's explains why the Chicken Dance sometimes helps!

Oops! THIS is going to be the No CD Crack / RAD thread, isn't it?

So we are at:

-Original build:

ToEE (2 cd's)
    (maybe) Patch 1 (not me)
    Patch 2 (NO Patch 3)
    Co8-5.0.0
    CMF 5.0.6
    give it a try
    (Don't forget to check "Clean Game Cache on Startup" on the front end, at least on the first start)

-Won't recognise cd or crashes before/during movie:

No CD Crack

-No joy on fixing movie crashes with Crack:

RAD Tools

As a general outline.

Half-Knight, if I'm wrong on this, tell me, and will edit this until it is correct. (Heh-Heh!)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ok, FAR too many beers to understand where this thread is going, but I should mention, my OP (such as it is) is a reference to one of the things that protects us modders - namely, that while modifying the engine of a product (which is NOT released to us - no source codes here, alas) - is generally considered a no-go area (though Atari or whoever may tolerate it), modifying the files, which are given directly to us, is considered fair use.

Of course we hack the .dll too, but lets not talk about that... :ninja:

Our Host!