Newbie to modding in need of help - Hommlet sign post

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Sitra Achara, Oct 28, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The whole game was written in English, HK. It's tough rocks for non-English-speaking people as far as I'm concerned. If I wanted to play a game written in some other language, it would be tough rocks for me. Not that that has anything to do with anything, but ... let the various localization efforts worry about changing that stuff if they really want to. We can't be everything to everybody.

I was thinking 'north Hommlet' or 'north end' or 'northern business district' for the north, btw ... likewise 'south' variations for the south side or 'southern residential area' or 'southern road' or something like that. 'Eastern road' or 'east castle access' for the east. They would essentially serve as fixed orientation compass points, with all the other ones filling in the gaps in between.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  2. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

I know that, smart*** :rant: what i mean, is that there's no english writting in any place of the game, and that's because what i've explained.
    In any case, since the posts are full Co8 addition, they could be as you like it :)

Btw, personally, i don't have a problem with that, and i've started a set when you asked for them to have in KotB ;)

If you want a single big wood board for that, it could be done. If you want to use the ones in the game atm, which have many, i'm afraid it could be barely readable...
    pity those damned portraits are limited, or we could give each board a distinctive written pic :smarty:

EDIT: spammer! 3000 + posts!

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Your kettle needs reblackening, sir :no:

As for the signpost - those scribbles on the map look like they are in English (though they are barely decipherable - which is what anything written on the signposts will be). I tihnk its about effect, not actually being able to read the damn thing.

EAT AT JOES ------->
    <-------- JEB BUSH 2012
    ^^^ Co8 RULE! ^^^

4. Gaear

Bear in mind this is Sitra's request, HK, so you should go to him for details. Personally I always liked the post just the way it is.

When I refer to the naming convention, I'm talking about the way the directions read via the post dialogue in-game.

5. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Yes, I think obviously whatever would be written on the post would be illegible so inside the rendering program it could be Gilded Stumps of Olde for all I care.

BTW, come to think of it, the only legible graphical writing in the game is in Hebrew :) (the pentagram near the Moathouse tunnel exit. It spells 'Leviathan')

6. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Exactly :yes

I thought that was the turnkey :blegh:

Me too.
    Sorry Sitra... but if you find the graphic's mesh, or tga or whatever it is, just tell me where it is (too lazy/busy to search for it :errf: )and i could make something with it :)

Really?
    That's quite cool...that kind of stuff could be added, but with dwrven/elven runes...

7. Sitra Achara

I have the original psd lying around somewhere... if I find it I'll send it your way then.

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I never noticed the Hebrew - I'm getting old. That may be a pentacle from the Key of Solomon.

9. Gaear

@Sitra, I've been fiddling the signposts a bit (making them regular NPCs basically*) and had a question about their scripts: I notice that npc.destroy is used in some of the dilaogue strings, but not all. I believe the instance in the final 'you arrive at your destination' line is to get rid of the bananaphone operator, who seems to be independant, but are the other instances actually destroying anything and are they necessary? I took them out to experiment and everything still seemed to work fine.

*This in the hope that making them not scenery objects and just regular NPCs will cure jerkstop ... if it's shown that the posts being gone in 5.8.1 cures jerkstop. They do seem to 'flow' better in the game with the green selectable circles though, regardless.

10. Sitra Achara

The Nulb post used to be a zombie, which was an ordinary NPC. Needless to say I didn't want it destroyed.
    It was changed by someone else to a regular signpost, but the dialog script file remained the same. So it spawns an invisible NPC everytime, without destroying it.

Perhaps the jerkstop / memory leak is caused by the destruction of the invisible NPC that is spawned when you use the embedded object.

It can be tested by adding the npc.destroy() command to the Nulb post, and letting jerkstop - prone players test it.

11. Gaear

The thing is, I can't see where the tele2 script creates anything but the bananaphone operator, which appears to get destroyed after the 3000 node dialog ("you arrive..."). So what was npc.destroy() destroying in the other dialog nodes?

Code:
    def tele2( dialer, town, x, y ):
    	game.fade_and_teleport(0,0,0,town,x,y)
    	game.timevent_add( bananaphone, ( dialer, x, y ), 300)
    	return SKIP_DEFAULT

def bananaphone( dialer, x,y ):
    	if (dialer.map == 5001):
    		operator = game.obj_create( 14800, location_from_axis (x+1, y+1) )
    	elif (dialer.map == 5051):
    	elif (dialer.map == 5121):
    	dialer.begin_dialog(operator, 3000)
    	#game.particles( "sp-summon monster I", operator )
    	return RUN_DEFAULT
    Code:
    {3000}{[Following the directions, you arrive at your destination.]}{[Following the directions, you arrive at your destination.]}{}{}{}{}
    {3001}{[Quit]}{}{1}{}{0}{npc.destroy()}

12. Sitra Achara

Oh, forgot to reply to this:

There are two invisible NPCs that are created when using the post:
    (1) The signpost destination picker NPC (spawned on top of the signpost object)
    (2) The "you have arrived" NPC.

(If it weren't for the 2nd one, your party would be teleported but the camera wouldn't pan.)

Line 3001 destroy (2). The other lines destroy (1).

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  13. Gaear

Okay, so since I've made the post itself an NPC, and interaction with it is like with a normal NPC (green circle), I assume the destination picker NPC is no longer being created (was that tied to san_use on the scenery object post or something?) and thus doesn't need to be destroyed.

That's good, because leaving that script in there for the new post caused the post NPC itself to be destroyed, which I guess makes sense.

Thanks.

Our Host!