Newbie to modding in need of help - Hommlet sign post

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Sitra Achara, Oct 28, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Could also be in need of a sector-sort, if Sitra embedded the signpost as scenery.

Also, could be caused by using a save that was on the Hommlet map.

2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

I had the butterflies as well when I reloaded a save in the Hommlet outdoors map after changing the file. As I mentioned in the installation notes, if that's the case, then before applying the mod, take your party inside a building, save, then apply the mod. The file you need to delete in order to remove the update is in the Hommlet map folder -

modules\Co8-5.0.0\maps\Map-2-Hommlet-Exterior\402653193.sec

Please let me know if it works out.

@Ted: I did use sector sort. Remember, I'm using your tutorials as reference ;)

So, about the cursor not changing into a hand - any ideas? People might ignore the signpost if they have no indication it's interactive. I could always just revert to the container object, but I'd like to keep the scenery object since it doesn't trigger the fiddling animation on the PC.

3. Sitra Achara

Alas, it turns out that the modification of the portrait.mes messed up char gen. When you get to the portraits stage, the game locks (sometimes requiring a reboot even, unless in windowed mode). When I remove the lines I added at the end of the file, it works fine again (but then the post has no portrait, and you get T-man again). Otherwise, any entry I add at the end (even with no files specified) causes the freeze up. I searched the old posts for answers, but almost all search results were about PC portrait issues, and none for NPC portraits. Anyone else getting this? And has this issue been addressed before?

(BTW, just realized I need to update the .ppf files as well in case someone switches portrait packs - will do in a bit. But that doesn't solve my problem of course)

4. Shiningted

Ahhh...

Doesn't surprise me: i believe we have hit the limit in terms of portraits. (Something that was found out a while back).

It did surprise me u got it working in the first place ;)

5. Sitra Achara

So basically, we can't add any new critters unless we recycle portraits?

I think we can free up about 8-10 existing slots, though. There are about 12 bugbear portraits: 4 elemental temple bugbears, 1 unaffiliated bugbear portrait, and 1 generic Temple portrait, and multiply by 2 for Bugbear Leader portraits. Personally I've never noticed the difference ingame, they look the same except for a stripe of color at the bottom. IMHO we can just change the proto so all the bugbears share the same portrait, and all the bugbear leaders share the same bugbear leader portrait. That would free up 10 portraits. If you want to have different portraits for Temple bugbears and non-Temple bugbears, that's 8. What say you?

Also, I noticed that there's an empty slot labeled Krunch's bard. Is that bard still in the works or just some forgotten relic of the past that I can salvage?

Edit:

Another two useless portraits as far as I know:
    1 - Frederic Bertram (the straight version of Bertram - I bet he was supposed to totally replace the gay one when ToEE got censored). He should be deleted from the game anyway. The gay one is the authentic one. (portrait # 7490)
    2 - A seemingly unused peasant portrait from the CE encounter (portrait # 6610). It doesn't appear in that encounter anyway, so unless someone used that portrait in a mod...

Unless someone objects, I'm going to replace #6610 with the signpost portrait.

Edit 2:

Ok, here's the latest. As usual, backup & unzip to main if you're interested.
    What's new:
    - Added Nulb "post" (see for yourself ;) )
    - Fixed portrait issue by hijacking portrait slot 6610
    - updated .ppf files, so if you change portrait packs via ToEEFE the new portrait should still work

And please, if you use it, tell me if it works ok or if you've run into any problems. I really want to make sure I haven't introduced any new bugs before adding it to the CMF thread.

View attachment Generalized_post.zip

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  6. Shiningted

Ok, I tested this and it worked fine (both Nulb and Hommlet). Nice workaround for the moving-across-same-map issue: u can still see where the issue is there, but its not, an, ummm, issue :thumbsup:

I forgot to look at the portrait though :blush:

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

@Sitra -

I loaded in your latest version of the Signpost mod last night and started a new game. While everything seems to work fine, I observed that the portrait for the signpost is now that of some random guy that I don't recognize. Is that supposed to be the case?

I generally use custom portraits and a custom portraits.mes file (not the ones from the portrait and voice packs), so could that have turned the signpost portrait into something else? If not, I might humbly suggest a picture of a signpost instead of that guy - sort of gives you the "Hey, there's a little man inside the signpost!" creeps. ;)

Otherwise, I'm liking this mod very much and strongly support it's official inclusion in the modpack. Being limited to simply providing convenient travel throughout town, I don't see it affecting the game in any significant way, other than as advertised. :thumbsup:

8. Sitra Achara

It's definitely the portraits.mes file. Copy and paste this inside the file to fix it:

{6610} {}
    {6611} {NPC_6611_m_CE_Peasant_02.tga}
    {6612} {NPC_8362_s_Signpost.tga}
    {6613} {NPC_6613_s_CE_Peasant_02_grey.tga}
    {6614} {NPC_6614_m_CE_Peasant_02_grey.tga}

It was supposed to be in the CE opening vignette - one of the farmers you butcher, presumably - but seems to be unused (that's why you didn't recognize it - that's good because it means it IS unused :) ), so I took it. Only the second entry (6612) is relevant because the post isn't supposed to enter combat and/or die :)

9. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

and if someone runs into a guy that looks like a signpost somewhere we'll know it was used somewhere ;)

10. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

@Sitra -

A little more feedback to wrap it up for me . . .

First of all, I never mentioned that yes, the portraits.mes correction you posted for me above fixed my problem. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Second, the Nulb post. Heh, I'm surprised no one has commented on this yet, to my knowledge. I have to say it's very attention-grabbing, and I like it in that sense. That said, I know that Nulb is an evil town, but would even they have that thing standing around out there by the bridge? Might be just slightly over-the-top, but I have to acknowledge it did give me a visceral thrill. ;)

Third, the location of the Nulb 'post' makes it so that you have to go all the way back out to the bridge in order to use the post a second time. Being as Nulb doesn't have multiple world map points like Hommlet, you can't get back there any other way. Might be better, in that case, to put the post in the circular boardwalk area, or whatever it is.

:)

11. Sitra Achara

Heh. It was inspired by the zombie post in Planescape: Torment :) I figured it'd fit well with that town's dark atmosphere.

Actually, you can. Just open the world map and click on Nulb :) It works even if you're already there, and whisks you instantly to the bridge.

12. Shiningted

Yeah I liked that post :) AS u say Gaear its a bit of a shock, but meh, what the hey :)

Can it be turned etc? Mind u, serves the person right if they do that.

13. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I haven't seen the Nulb post yet, but I would call Nulb a seedy town more than an evil one. Yes, it attracts bunches of unsavory folk, but the vast majority of the residents aren't actually evil, so I can't imagine a zombie anything just sitting around in "town square".

14. Sitra Achara

@Ted: Frankly, I've never attacked it or anything like that. If you want to kill the useful shortcut, be my guest. Though now that I think about it, COMMANDING it could turn out to be a bit of an exploit :p

@Kal: The zombie itself has nothing to do with being evil or not, think of the Dustmen's zombies in PS:T :) But like I said, it fits the atmosphere IMO. I imagined it as a malfunctioning zombie captured from one of the Temple's failed raids.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2006
  15. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

There's a lot more pirates than zombies in Nulb. Maybe you could make it look like Captain Morgan or something? You know...holding up a :rant: sign or something? Maybe, if you had him hung in a gibbet, then he could groan and point, or something. And still be dressed up as a pirate. Though why the pirates would hang one of their kind up for all to see is silly in a town chiefly populated by pirates. Besides...who from the Temple ever raided Nulb?

It doesn't fit. No one - good or evil - wants a malfunctioning zombie around. They tend to eat people's brains regardless of alignment...even evil clerics who fail to turn them.

Attached Files:

• cpt.bmp
      File size:
      6.3 KB
      Views:
Our Host!