New version of the mod pack

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Ausir, Dec 10, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. sir_toejam

sir_toejam Member

"One question (and something to put this post on topic), is there still discussion about making gloves of giant strength into blets of giant strength (per rules) and making them equippable in the tools slot? "

this is very easy to do. try out the basic modding tips about making items i posted over at the atari forum. it will show you how to make any item you want. once the item is created, it can be added to the itemcreation.mes file.

2. Huntsman

Huntsman Member

ST:

Yeah, I could do it myself, but I'm wanting to know if it'll be a part of the "official" co8 patch :) I had noticed it mentioned elsewhere, but not here, so I wanted to find out if someone had simply forgotten it or if it was going to be intentionally left out.

3. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

I am in the process of coding all fixes for release. All fixes from 2nd and 3rd fix lists as well as most fixes from 1st fix list have been incorporated.
    I am now wrapping up items on the 1st fix list and other misc fixes.

I would like to have a final consensus on substituting Belts of Giant Strength (to be put in lockpicks slot) for Gloves of Giant Strength. I believe I should be able to include it if most people favour doing so.

4. sir_toejam

sir_toejam Member

sure, why not? plenty of other gloves to give strength bonuses. plus the ioun stones.

5. zhuge

Upon checking through protos.tab in detail, I noticed that:
    1)All cure wound potion are now marked as identified.
    2)There have also been hefty changes made to start_equipment.mes. (for example: adding shortbows and arrows for barbarians and paladins and all initial cure light wound potions removed)

The protos.tab and start_equipment.mes are taken from Fred/Shin/rex_blade modified files (strategy_fix.zip) at:
    http://www.co8.org/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=4840

I will only implement these if most players want them. I plan to release the fixes soon so please be vocal.

I will not be doing any packaging of the modified files into an Installer. Could someone else volunteer to take up this task?

6. Huntsman

Huntsman Member

I vote for the belts and for the modified start packages (no potions and added shortbows). Sounds like those starting packages are more in line with the ones in the PnP PHB, something I'd been planning on doing anyway :).

As for the packaging, I am not familiar with that area or I'd offer to do it. I had started coding some of the changes from fix lists posted on the boards, but between work, wife, and son, I just don't have that much time to test things :(. In any case, if there's any light work that needs to be done, I'd be happy to help out :)

7. miserychick

miserychick Member

I vote for the Belts and all Cure potions coming pre-identified. Not big on losing the CLW potions from the starting packages, but if you were to change the starting package armor to be more like the PHB packages (Paladins, Fighters and Clerics start w/Scale armor instead of Leather, etc...) I wouldnt mind losing the potions.

8. zhuge

-All changes from all lists incorporated.
    -Glove to belt changes incorporated (only +4 and +6 items, {6245}{Gauntlets of Ogre Power} left as is as per 3.5e SRD
    -New start_equipment.mes which reflects PHB better incorporated

modified files:
    protos.tab
    item_creation.mes (in rules subdirectory)
    description.mes
    long_description.mes
    InvenSource.mes
    Spell213 - Guidance.py
    Spell237 - Ice Storm.py
    Spell434 - Silence.py
    Spell727 - Summon Glabrezu.py
    Spell728 - Summon Hezrou.py
    Spell729 - Summon Vrock.py
    Spell722 - Summon Air Elemental.py
    Spell723 - Summon Earth Elemental.py
    Spell724 - Summon Fire Elemental.py
    Spell725 - Summon Water Elemental.py
    Spell320 - Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound.py
    py00160ogre chief.py
    py00164ogre for fire.py
    00122alrrem.dlg
    00149thrommel.dlg
    Spell099 - Daze.py
    Spell364 - Produce Flame.py
    00022teamster.dlg
    00109dala.dlg
    099 - Daze.txt
    227 - Hold Monster.txt
    228 - Hold Person.txt
    490 - Tashas Hideous Laughter.txt
    556 - Daze Monster.txt
    00002black jay.dlg
    Spell432 - Shout.py
    py00177scorpp.py
    Spell368 - Protection from Chaos.py
    Spell370 - Protection from Evil.py
    Spell371 - Protection from Good.py
    Spell372 - Protection from Law.py

Currently checking for errors and updating help.tab with possible changes from 2nd official patch. If anyone is interested, he/she can help correct any errors in help.tab and post them here. I will try to get them included

All in all I should be done in another half a day.

9. miserychick

miserychick Member

Oh, one quick question, 'cause I couldnt tell from the earlier posts: Is the NPC looting fix going to be in or not? If not, is there another (relatively easy) way to implement it?

And thanks for all the effort you've put into this Zhuge. I totally appreciate it. :)

10. zhuge

The NPC looting fix is definitely in. I used Fred's/Shin's files which have already incorporated OIF_NO_NPC_PICKUP for items involved. I have further doubled checked this and filled in an item or two which missed having this flag coded.

Steve already has a more elegant solution planned for looting which is why the looting fix is not implemented in the 2nd official patch, but since the 3rd official patch may take some time to materialize, I thought it best to implement what we have at the moment.

Feel free to contribute your ideas. I am always open to suggestions and even if they don't make this release, we can always slate it for another release or even in an official patch (if Steve agrees to it).

11. Huntsman

Huntsman Member

zhuge:

One thing I noticed last night while playing with the new Co8 mod pack:

Monster Juggernaut gives Acid, Fire, and Electrical immunity. I fought both Lacedons and Skeletons and my produce flame and burning hands kept doing 0hp damage...I checked the rolls and verified the list. Gnoll Skeletons do not have Monster Juggernaut, and their lists don't include these immunities.

Monster Juggernaut is most likely used for the monster of the same name in the game (and that thing is immune to darn near anything you throw at it). I don't know if there's a viable solution, I'll see if I can look around in the files a bit and maybe play with some settings. Any ideas on your side?

Oh, one more thing, but it's an easy fix. The Masterwork Light Crossbow is showing up as a one-handed weapon. I don't think this is correct. It's an easy fix in the protoss.tab, but thought I'd mention it.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2004
  12. zhuge

Damn! Curse me for a fool. Thanks for spotting the huge bug. I was so caught up with spell resistances it never occurred to me to test with elemental resistances. There are also separate entries for these in protos.tab coded by Monster Energy Immunity(type), Monster Energy Resistance(type,#) so I falsely believed these would not be incorporated into other entries like Monster Juggernaut. I did ask for testing but I guess no one did till you picked it up. Many thanks.

But enough excuses we must repair the file. Monster Plant gives the exact same set of resistances (from the spells tested) as Monster Juggernaut except for Stinking Cloud. We'll lose that but we should regain sensitivity to elemental damage.

So recode all Monster Juggernaut as Monster Plant and also add Monster Plant to:
    {14081}{Skeleton Gnoll}
    {14082}{Skeleton Gnoll}
    {14083}{Skeleton Gnoll}

Thanks again. Very nicely spotted. :thumbsup:
    If you agree to it, I'll recode it and redistribute it right away.

13. Huntsman

Huntsman Member

Zhuge:

I'm at work now, but I'll recode it when I get home this evening. Finishing most of my homework for school while at work, so I should have a bit of time.

I'll recode the Masterwork Light Crossbow as well, to make it a two-handed weapon as it should be.

14. zhuge

Just noticed something. There is a entry for {14092}{Zombie} in Col171 in protos.tab called Monster Zombie.

Wonder if this might be a better choice than Monster Plant. After all we are still missing out on Ray of Enfeeblement and some other spell resistances for undead. Must have missed this one because it is not coded for the other Zombies (and it's not in Phalzyr's protos.tab field list either, guess he missed it too):

{14123}{Zombie}
    {14124}{Zombie}
    {14125}{Zombie}
    {14126}{Zombie}
    {14127}{Zombie}
    {14444}{Zombie}

or the other undead come to think of it.

However we'll never know if the Zombie we are testing it on is {14092}{Zombie} or not, so I suggest putting Monster Zombie for all Zombies above and going to the Moathouse to test with certain spells, including Ray of Enfeeblement, Contagion and Stinking Cloud.

EDIT: How dumb of me, just put Monster Zombie on Brother Smyth in Hommlet (like I originally did with the other spells and we can easily test it)... duh... slaps head on wall

If it doesn't work out, we'll stick to the original plan: replacing all Monster Juggernaut with Monster Plant.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2004
  15. Huntsman

Huntsman Member

Sounds good. I'll try that with monster zombie tonight.

Just a thought, but has anyone tried adding a specific spell immunity? With the format of the files, it seems that there would likely be an ability 'Spell Immunity', whose Parameter would be something like "Stinking Cloud" class_Sorcerer 3. I'll try something along those lines, as well, if zombie doesn't work :) I'll be home about 5 hours from now (6Pm CST), so tonight sometime I can have results for you.

Our Host!