New version of the mod pack

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Ausir, Dec 10, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

I don't think I can manage another long fix list for our next patch update but if I find anything else correctable, I'll keep posting them here in small packets. If they can make our next patch update all well and good. Otherwise, we could schedule the changes some time later.

Anyway, regarding:
    1)Scorpp's changes by Shin
    -Shin's original intentions included making Scorpp use his club and hide armor in battle. This would allow him use of his massive strength (resulting in good AB and damage) and multiple strikes per round instead of using Wonnilon's Repeating Crossbow which really does not suit a Hill Giant and exposes him to multiple AoOs when he is meleed. I can't seem to make him wear his hide armor yet, but have made some progress in making him use his club instead of the crossbow.
    Adding Flanker or Opportunist as AI strategy to the last Col in protos.tab is necessary. If left blank or put as Default, Scorpp won't equip the club. This column was previously blank.

In Scorpp's .py file, insert:
    attachee.item_transfer_to(triggerer,4130)

just after def san_start_combat( attachee, triggerer ):

In Scorpp's entry in protos.tab, for Col333 (AI strategy), add:
    Flanker

2)Black Jay's items still need to be identified even though he tells you exactly what you'll be getting as a reward for returning his ring.
    -creating new identified items is to cumbersome and prone to abuse so after testing a command:
    npc.identify_all(), I have decided to use that instead. The items will now be identified upon delivery to the player.

In 00002black jay.dlg change:
    {142}{Give me the boots of elvenkind.}{}{1}{}{150}{party_transfer_to( npc, 3000 ); npc.item_transfer_to_by_proto(pc,6057); game.quests[4].state = qs_completed; npc.reaction_adj( pc,15)}
    {143}{Give me the cloak of elvenkind.}{}{1}{}{150}{party_transfer_to( npc, 3000 ); npc.item_transfer_to_by_proto(pc,6058); game.quests[4].state = qs_completed; npc.reaction_adj( pc,15)}

to:

{142}{Give me the boots of elvenkind.}{}{1}{}{150}{party_transfer_to( npc, 3000 ); npc.identify_all(); npc.item_transfer_to_by_proto(pc,6057); game.quests[4].state = qs_completed; npc.reaction_adj( pc,15)}
    {143}{Give me the cloak of elvenkind.}{}{1}{}{150}{party_transfer_to( npc, 3000 ); npc.identify_all(); npc.item_transfer_to_by_proto(pc,6058); game.quests[4].state = qs_completed; npc.reaction_adj( pc,15)}

2. gygaxian

gygaxian Member

So, what do I download if I want all these fixes, and where do I put it?

If you guys have one forum section for "work in progress, discussions" and another for "ready to download & instructions", that would be useful for gamers like me that have no idea what you are talking about with your lists :)

3. zhuge

Well, these are suggested fixes that hopefully will make our next patch update. They are not ready for download yet. Exitium has coded some of them but not all. I would like to hurry things along but we all have RL responsibilities and work to deal with and Exitium, Ausir and myself are all involved with beta testing for the 2nd official patch.

Meanwhile I'm putting the bugs and their proposed fixes here so that everyone can see what we are going to implement and if they disagree with the fix they can just post it here. So if there are any dubious or unwanted fixes we can sort them out right away before the actual patch update is made ready for download.

I wish more people would download tools. That way you can extract and edit files and see what's going on and feel more confident implementing any of our fixes.

Anyway, here's another quick fix:
    Shout only does 2d6 damage (it's supposed to do 5d6 damage)
    -it appears that both duration and damage got coded as 2d6. Correcting this doesn't seem too hard though. Just alter the relevant parameter to 5d6 from 2d6.

Open up Spell432 - Shout.py and look for the line:
    damage_dice = dice_new( '2d6' )

Replace this line with:
    damage_dice = dice_new( '5d6' )

Last edited: Feb 15, 2004
  4. Auldar

Auldar Member

Just a small observation about the proposed changes to allow the scribing of Protection from Law. As it stands, you haven't mentioned adding in the pre-requisite Spell to item_creation.mes.

ie.

{9372}{"SProtection from Law"}

Also, did anyone ever work out how to enable other enhancements for Craft Magic Arms and Armor? It says it's "handled differently", but I can't seem to find where.. (sorry if this thread is the wrong place to ask this).

-Auldar

5. zhuge

While the prerequisites for various enhancements for craft arms and armor can be found in item_creation.mes, the actual nature of that enhancement is probably hardcoded as you have stated. Certain enhancements like Defending, Bane, etc... may not have been fully coded in the exe to allow access even if the dat files were altered.

Alternatively IIRC there was a weapon that allowed a Defending bonus (should be a Deflection bonus to AC). Check on Moradin's Soul Hammer and see if it's the one. If the enhancement is coded correctly, we could insert Defending weapons into the game by adding the appropriate entry in protos.tab. As for actually crafting a Defending weapon, I have no idea of how to attempt this at present.

Thanks again for the entry. If you find any other correctable errors feel free to post them here. :)

6. Auldar

Auldar Member

Thanks for the reply zhuge.

Yeah, given the Soul Hammer has defending, I'm sure that particular one has been implemented and as such items could be created with Defending in protos.tab, however I was hoping to be able to add it to the crafting abilities in much the same way as I've added Amulets of Natural AC +3 to +5 to the Craft Wonderous Item feat..

I guess if we really wanted to, we could get creative and have an NPC who will give you a Defending Masterwork item if you hand him one + the cash, and then the player can enchant it further.. I'll have to think on that..

BTW, are you interested in the changes I made to get Amulet's of Natural AC +3, +4, and +5 into the game? I'm not sure why they weren't put in.. Possibly a balancing thing, maybe an oversight. Personally, I'd prefer to have an amulet of natural AC +5 over a +6 Con amulet..

Oh well, just in case you are, it's pretty easy:

In the prerequisites section of item_creation.mes, continue the progression of the other amulets of natural AC:

(the ones I marked with a * are already present)

{6262}{"FCraft Wondrous Item" "SBarkskin" } // amulet of natural armor +1*
    {6263}{"FCraft Wondrous Item" "SBarkskin" } // amulet of natural armor +2*
    {6264}{"FCraft Wondrous Item" "SBarkskin" } // amulet of natural armor +3
    {6265}{"FCraft Wondrous Item" "SBarkskin" } // amulet of natural armor +4
    {6266}{"FCraft Wondrous Item" "SBarkskin" } // amulet of natural armor +5

We may consider adding character level requirements which follow the Bracers of Armor scheme.. +5 Amulet is pretty powerful without a level requirement..

ie

{6262}{"FCraft Wondrous Item" "SBarkskin" C2} // amulet of natural armor +1*
    {6263}{"FCraft Wondrous Item" "SBarkskin" C4} // amulet of natural armor +2*
    {6264}{"FCraft Wondrous Item" "SBarkskin" C6} // amulet of natural armor +3
    {6265}{"FCraft Wondrous Item" "SBarkskin" C8} // amulet of natural armor +4
    {6266}{"FCraft Wondrous Item" "SBarkskin" C10} // amulet of natural armor +5

Then in Section 5, add the comments for completion:

// 6262 - amulet of natural armor +1*
    // 6263 - amulet of natural armor +2*
    // 6264 - amulet of natural armor +3
    // 6265 - amulet of natural armor +4
    // 6266 - amulet of natural armor +5

Then add those ID's (6264 6265 6266) to the {5} array.

In order to have appropriate gold and XP costs for crafting, we need to change their value in protos.tab:

Currently

+1 = 200000
    +2 = 800000
    +3 = 5000
    +4 = 5000
    +5 = 5000

I propose:

+1 = 200000
    +2 = 800000
    +3 = 1200000
    +4 = 1600000
    +5 = 2000000

I'm open to discussion for upping those to something more in line with the +6 amulets and gloves.. ie finish with 3600000..

After those changes, it's now possible to use the other amulets.

You can use the same process to add the Cloak of Resistance +4 in, but there is no Cloak of Resistance +5 in the protos.tab for some reason.. This could be created in protos.tab quite easilly, then could be added in the same way as the rest..

I'm new to this game, so I appologise if my knowledge and or ambitions are limited at present :p

-Auldar

7. zhuge

Sorry for the delayed reply, I have been pretty busy with RL work recently and can't spend as much time as I would like to on modding. Also Exitium, Ausir and myself are currently working with Steve Moret in the beta testing patches/fixes. Steve has expressed that one of his main goals is to make ToEE as close to 3.5e rules as possible. Therefore if there are any doubts on rule implementation, the 3.5e SRD can be used as a handy reference (free download at http://www.wizards.com/D20/article.asp?x=srd)

That's a pretty interesting idea. Maybe we could also tie it in with a quest for Otis and/or Burne. A simple one would be a regular "fedex" quest to get a particular item for them to be able to "craft" the Defending enhancement.
    However the crafted weapon may not suit the player's choice of weapons. It would be nice to be able to trade in a Masterwork weapon and receive a Defending Masterwork weapon of the same type in return which would then cater to all types of weapons but that involves quite a bit of dialogue coding.

Quoting 3.5e SRD:
    Defending: A defending weapon allows the wielder to transfer some or all of the sword's enhancement bonus to his AC as a bonus that stacks with all others. As a free action, the wielder chooses how to allocate the weapon's enhancement bonus at the start of his turn before using the weapon, and the effect to AC lasts until his next turn.
    Moderate abjuration; CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, shield or shield of faith; Price +1 bonus.

I'm not exactly sure if the Defending enhancement is implemented as above (please check when convenient). Perhaps we could mimic the spell prerequisite by having to provide a scroll of shield to Burne though it's not a very satisfactory solution.

Regarding Amulets of Natural Armor:
    Yep, you've caught the protos.tab errors for prices on the amulets. However I think using 3.5e SRD prices is a better idea.

Quoting 3.5e SRD:
    Amulet of Natural Armor: This amulet, usually crafted from bone or beast scales, toughens the wearer's body and flesh, giving him an enhancement bonus to his natural armor bonus of from +1 to +5, depending on the kind of amulet.
    Faint transmutation; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, barkskin, creator's caster level must be at least three times the amulet's bonus; Price 2,000 gp (+1), 8,000 gp (+2), 18,000 gp (+3), 32,000 gp (+4), or 50,000 gp (+5).

Since in ToEE character levels cannot exceed 10, it follows that Amulets of Natural Armor should only be craftable till +3 to prevent game imbalance. So for the time being we'll add only (6264) to the {5} array. Ok?

Amulet of Natural Armor +3 should have its price adjusted to 1800000.

As for character levels I agree with you that these should be implemented and these should be adjusted to SRD requirements:
    C5 for Amulet of Natural Armor +1
    C6 for Amulet of Natural Armor +2
    C9 for Amulet of Natural Armor +3

Could you try to code these and test out with a high level Druid whether the changes work.
    Thanks.

8. Huntsman

Huntsman Member

Plant Elementals?

Just on thing to point out, more of a "make sure this isn't a bug" than anything else. Would adding the plant immunities to elementals cause any other sort of effects, such as elementals being affected by Blight, Control Plant, or similar spells and effects?

Just a thought. Also like to add a big, huge thumbs up to you guys. Just found the Co8 mod, and I've been very pleased so far (although I did really like that +3 holy longsword at the beginning *sigh*)

Edited to add:

Oh, one other thing, dunno if this is the place to mention it or not (if not, let me know and I'll repost elsewhere and delete it here).

I noticed an issue with multiclass Sorcerers. If you multiclass with another spellcaster (in my case, Druid), the Druid spells cast take away from the Sorcerers total casts. For example, lets say my Druid/Sorc has 2 entangles memorized, and 4 sorc spell slots. I can cast 4 magic missiles and then both entangles no prob. However, If I cast an entangle first, then when I try to cast my fourth MM it tells me "no spells available". It still displays 1/4 on the radial menu. Anyone seen this, and is this something that can be fixed in the external files? I figure it's an exe issue, but thought I'd ask those familiar with the files about it :)

Last edited: May 17, 2004
  9. zhuge

@Huntsman:
    Thanks for asking. I was thinking nobody ever goes through the stuff. :p
    I believe Blight and Control Plant will first check whether a creature is typed as mc_type_plant. If it is the spell will be applied. Adding Monster Plant to elementals should not apply these vulnerabilities. You are most welcome to confirm this by making the necessary changes above to allay your suspicions.

Many multiclassed spellcasting builds suffer the problem you have stated. Quoting the Atari buglist which has not been updated for a while:
    SPELLS
    -spontaneous casters have their no. of spells castable decremented if they cast a spell known in their spont. caster class, regardless of source (ie sorceror who knows fireball using a wand of fireballs has lvl 3 spells castable decremented with each use. Same goes for casting spells from another class, ie: Bard/Sorc, Druid/Bard)

Unfortunately, while it is indeed a known bug, it does not appear to be a problem that the modders can fix easily if at all so it may be some time before it is corrected by Steve.

Perhaps you could have a look at the list and if you are interested, help to maintain an updated list of bugs for the forum: http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=335222

10. zhuge

In anticipation of the release of the 2nd official patch, I would like modders to compare summaries of what has been planned thus far for Co8 next patch update and to remove what (to the best of my knowledge) will be corrected in the 2nd official patch.

Summary of what is planned for Co8's next patch update:

1st list of fixes:

ITEMS
    1)Fixed problems with armor/shield skill check penalties (post patch) [14+ items]
    2)Fixed misc issues with item weight (Col51)/price Col52)/magical flags (Col50) [9 items]
    3)Fixed issues with uncopyable spells [10 spells], unscribable scrolls [3 scrolls], scrolls with no spell prerequisites [1 scroll], uncraftable wands [1 wand]
    4)Fixed enhancement bonus of Holy Longsword
    5)Modified stats for Great Cleaver
    6)Changed all javelins to 1 handers
    7)Partial fix for Javelin of Lightning
    8)Partial fix for Potions of Eagle's Splendor, Heroism, Superheroism
    9)Suggested fix for Chime of Opening
    10)Suggested fix for Oohlgrist's emerald belt
    11)Fixed Monks not proficient in halfling sianghams
    12)Fixed Blue Elven Chain not given as reward for Tillahi's rescue
    13)Pouch of Bullets added to Brother Smyth and Otis's store inventories and suggested putting in Plate Gloves and Plate Boots

QUESTS
    1)Fixed Romag's 1st quest allows acknowledgement of killing snake even if you had not done so.
    2)Fixed Romag's 3rd quest allows acknowledgement of killing Belsornig even if you had not done so.

SPELLS
    1)Fixed duration for Ice Storm
    2)Fixed duration for Guidance
    3)Fixed duration for Silence

CREATURES
    1)Nerfed Scorpp's stats to reflect 3.5e SRD better and to prevent parties hiring Scorpp from being overpowered

2nd list of fixes:

ITEMS
    1)corrected Xbow size for Wonnilon's repeating Xbow and Masterwork Light Crossbow
    2)Masterwork Guisarme corrected (was previously almost a Masterwork Battleaxe)
    3)suggested fix for bracers being able to stack
    4)fixed Dust of Disappearence - now worth 3.5 DMG value rather then 0 Gold.
    5)fixed Jaer's fireballs being usable as melee weapons and its long description
    6)suggested fix for Rope of Entanglement

QUESTS and NPC DIALOGUE/BEHAVIOR
    1)corrected dialogue for traders not giving 200G when exposing them
    2)corrected dialogue for Sargen's courier (resulted in no gold given previously)
    3)corrected Valden not awarding shield for Paida's rescue
    4)corrected Paida's unfriendly state post rescue
    5)corrected %pcname% in Hedrack's dialogue
    6)corrected Lareth not reinitiating combat after parleying
    7)corrected party not receiving Jaer's fireballs

SPELLS
    1)corrected Cat's Grace (is no longer Str domain spell level 2)
    2)corrected Goodberry (will now expire after use)
    3)suggested fix for permanency for demons, elementals and Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound
    4)suggested fix for dismissal affecting non-extraplanar creatures

CREATURES
    1)corrected the natural armor of ogres

3rd list of fixes:

1)Corrected Alrrem's dialogue (1 major bug involving not getting the 3rd quest after completing the 2nd quest with violent means and 2 other minor bugs)
    2)Corrected Thrommel attaching himself like a charmed monster when the party is already at max followers
    3)Corrected daze which previously checked for size instead of hit dice as criteria
    4)Corrected produce flame. It will now cap maximum bonus damage at +5
    5)Corrected many creature immunities:
    including elementals vulnerable to sneak attack, skeletons and zombies have no immunity to Tasha's HL, skeletons and elementals affected by cloudkill poison, stinking cloud, etc... the will o' the wisps Spell Immunity has also been given a close approximation, also various mind-affecting spells should now encounter proper immunity when cast on elementals/oozes/undead...
    I highly welcome everyone to read the list of immunity corrections from the above link and provide comments.

Changes not in first 3 lists:
    Shin's fix for looting
    Auldar's changes
    Fred's fix and adjustments for AI

Scorpp changes (wield club instead of Xbow)
    Black Jay's items identified
    Shout damage corrected to 5d6

BELOW ARE THE EXPECTED LIST OF FIXES FOR THE 2nd OFFICIAL PATCH (INFO TAKEN FROM SLIM'S, SMORET'S AND TDECKER'S LISTS)

Fixes by smoret (most of which involve the .exe and cannot be modded)
    1)Fleeing enemies could sometimes cause a crash, this has been fixed.
    2)Infinite loop bug involving complex pending events fixed.
    3)One-handed weapons wielded two-handed calculate strength bonus properly (1.5x unless light).
    4)Enhancement bonuses of projectiles no longer apply to melee attacks.
    5)Criticals often did not confirm if you rolled equal to target's AC, this has been fixed.
    6)Bracers no longer stack in their slot.
    (Co8 offered an inferior solution, the current fix by smoret is best and most orthodox)
    7)Amulet of Mighty Fists adds to attack and damage now.
    8)Being unable to remove shields in combat has been fixed.
    9)Random number generator significantly improved.
    10)Bardic music is now a standard action.
    11)Bardic music now provokes attacks of opportunity.
    12)Tooltip text, missing during character creation for Abilities and Deity, now displays.
    13)Bardic Knowledge help page has correct title.
    14)Help entry for Grummsh now properly linked to Strength Domain.
    15)Help entry for Chain Lightning grammar corrected.

Fixes by smoret (which were also suggested by Co8 in our fix list and accepted after review)
    1)Jaer's Spheres of Fire can no longer be used as melee weapons.
    2)Dust of Disappearance value corrected.
    3)Masterwork Guisarme type and size corrected, it is no longer a 1-handed axe.
    4)Wonnilon's Repeating Crossbow and Masterwork Light Crossbow sizes corrected, both are now useable by small races.
    5)Cat's Grace is no longer a Strength Domain level 2 spell.

Fixes by tdecker (which were suggested by Co8 and Atari community members and accepted)
    1)Syntax errors in Hedrack's dialog have been fixed.
    2)Valden now awards masterwork shields for rescuing his wife.
    3)The courier from Lord Wizard Sargen will now talk with party members.
    4)Romag's 3rd quest no longer allows acknowledgement of killing Belsornig if you had not in fact killed him.

Fixes by tdecker (additional dialogue lines which will make official patch 2.0)
    1)More information regarding the woodcutters dialog is revealed.

Fixes by tdecker (which should make official patch 2.0 (inside betas that we tested) but is not in the list given by Slim, which were suggested by Co8 and Atari community members and accepted)
    1)exposing the spies in the trading post doesn't give 200 gp
    2)Lareth's dialogue when attempting to parley and after joining the party may need adjustments as well as his predisposition towards the party
    3)A fix was made to Paida so she shouldn’t go hostile, but if she’s already in the party pre-patch, this may not fix the problem.

Fixes by tdecker (which will probably not make official patch 2.0 (not incorporated in betas that we tested) which were suggested by Co8 and Atari community members and accepted)
    1)After completing Allrem's second quest with the violent option, I did not get the third quest.
    2)Fixed the ogres for Alrrem’s second quest so they can be subdued properly, although there still may be a problem if some damage is not nonlethal.
    3)Thrommel will not join full parties now
    4)Teamster now sets flag that the courier is suspicious.
    5)Dala now completes her quest properly

Fixes by tdecker (which will probably not make official patch 2.0 (not incorporated in betas that we tested) which were completely tackled by tdecker)
    1)Added more background information about the Temple with the Hommlet town elder once you have discovered the Temple.
    2)Made it so that killing drunken Cavanaugh doesn’t count against the people you can kill in Hommlet
    3)Hedrack will now give you the option to say you no longer want to do his quest to find the “disturbance above.â€

11. Huntsman

Huntsman Member

Thanks for the reply Zhuge :)

I peek in on the atari boards, too, but it seems like more gets done here ;)

I figured the sorcerer thing was unmoddable (sigh). Ah well, when patch 3.0 gets released in 2008, maybe it'll be fixed :D

One question (and something to put this post on topic), is there still discussion about making gloves of giant strength into blets of giant strength (per rules) and making them equippable in the tools slot?

Also, I'll try the plant testing thing if you want. I'm still feeling my way into modding, but I do have some programming background (I'm a Systems Analyst) so it shouldn't take long to catch on. I'll test it and let you know...I have a current save game where I'm hauling a control plants scroll, I'll toss a blight on my wizard and test out the theory for ya.

12. Huntsman

Huntsman Member

Haven't tested anything yet, I had made changes to some files so I had to get back to a basic file with the patch and Co8 fixes. I will try to make some changes tonight. Also, I had to make a copy of this thread to take home...No internet at the house currently (just at work...least I'm doing something productive!).

Expect a reply tomorrow morning about the elementals and plants. Also, I'd like to offer my services to assist in testing if anyone needs it, and I'd be willing to help in tracking down bugs and fixes. I'm feeling pretty comfortable with the .tab and .mes files int eh rules folder...not too sure about dialogue changes and such yet.

Anyway, here's an idea for the patch (if it can be implemented). I like having masterwork items available, but having them in Hommlet seems to make it too easy. My first level characters can go to the church, steal the scrolls, cast a few read magics, sell them, and outfit the entire party with masterwork weapons, armor, and shields before enetering a single combat. Is there any easy way to give, say, and option with masterwork items? My idea would be to have them available in both Hommlet and Nulb (from Otis), and make both of these additions selectable in the installer. That way, players can have them available in both towns, in Hommlet (as it is), or just in Nulb (which limits low-level chars from buying them, and makes more sense than having a small town, part-time smith making masterworks).

Just my 2 cents :)

13. FredSRichardson

FredSRichardson Established Member

Wow, it's great to see so new life breathed into this forum (I remember learning that "in-spiration" means literally "to breath life into" :))

I'd also love to get more involved in the modding aspects. Sir_Toejam has started to put together a tutorial over at the Atari forum. I think it's in the top few threads.

14. Huntsman

Huntsman Member

Tested the Monster Plant resistences for elementals. Seems to work fine, couldn't blight or control them :)

15. zhuge

Good work, now to complete the testing, alter the field with mc_type_elemental and substitute it with mc_type_plant for the relevant elementals in protos.tab.
    I believe you may now be able to cast blight and control plant on them. Always have a positive and a negative control just to make sure you've changed the correct thing and are genuinely getting the expected responses.

Our Host!