New to ToEE, Questions.

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Ergonpandilus, Oct 20, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ergonpandilus

Ergonpandilus the Avatar

Hi,

I just discovered ToEE. I've gone through all Baldur's Gates and IWDs, but somehow I missed ToEE back in the days and since it was so buggy, I'm kind of a glad I did. But thanks to your CO8 mod, the game now seems finally playable and quite bugfree, at least your changelog looks AMAZING. :peace:

I have some questions about CO8 mod?

1. Is it possible to make any changes to interface? There is few glitches that bothers me enormously.

2. Can I use no-cd crack or does it break CO8?

3. The Hill Giant in meadows is very tough, is that on purpose?

4. Is there are point to raise level limit beyond 10, since the FAQ says that anything beyond lvl 10 isn't really there. Or what kind of stuff keeps increasing when I level up beyond 10?

5. Where can I find info about new skills/spells/feats? Or is gamebanshee.com up to date against your mod?

...And if I put it this thread to wrong place, feel free to move it. ;)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

1. Probably, what did you have in mind?

2. Yes, just make sure it is the 33kb crack for patch 2. And only patch to 2, not 3.

3. I am not sure he has been altered, he was always tough.

4. Yes, BABs, feats and spell slots just keep going up incrementally, and we have lots of new stuff, from many spells to class features like Abundant Step (very few of those :))

5. They've always been against our mod, the fiends. We really should make a list of new spells etc, thats the second request in as many days.

Otherwise, no new skills in ToEE (only in KotB) and the only new feats are some new weapon proficiencies and their assorted collateral (WF, Improved Crit etc), with the exception of Far Shot which is also in there now.

3. Ergonpandilus

Ergonpandilus the Avatar

Sounds very very good. :D

I've gathered here some of the things that bothers me with the UI.
    • When in map view, pressing <ESC> should close the map and not to bring up game options (like with inventory).
    • When loading game, double clicking on a slot should load the game. Same for saving the game.
    • Spell- and Feat slots mouseclicks are inconsistent. Something right mouse click assignes the feat/spell to slot, sometimes not. Same goes for mouse double click.
    • There is absolutely no sound when Pick Lock or Disable Device is completed (successfully or not). Or at least I don't hear any.
    • Is there are list of shortcut keys? That should be in the help. There should be atleast tooltip for shortcut key in top of the buttons in right bottom corner of the screen.
    • When buying items, <SHIFT>+<CLICK> should work in shop as it does in inventory. When I'm buying Greathammer, I cannot check the details or know the actual weapon proficiency, unless I buy it first.
    • How to level up from character screen? Only way I know to level up is to click the icon on avatar icon. There should be icon in character/inventory view for leveling up.
    • I accidently found out how to sleep by guessing shortcut key <R> for it. Why isn't it like in BG/IWD with a button in right bottom buttonbox?
    • Some feats/skills/spells are missing help description or it shows wrong (Ranger Dual Wield). Atleast add some very short desc...
    • Clicking character shortcut (keys 1...0) should move the at center of the character as it does if you double click the portrait.
    • Lots of "Are you sure?" dialogs. Popup are nice for newbies, but after a while they kind of "stop" the UI flow when you know what you are doing.
    • Only some corpses gets highlighted when you focus them.
    • Drag-n-Drop items from PC to PC by first grapping item, then clicking one of the number keys to switch character and then drop the item (as in BG/IWD).
    • Quickload shortkey actually loads most recent-, not quicksave-, savegame unlike in 95% of the games.
    • Why potions are showing number "1" on bottom, like they would stack, but they don't. Number should be removed, or better yet make potions to stack.
    • Last, but not least... How about an option to zoom in (or 2xScaling). I know it's a tough one, but everything is so small in my high resolution screen... Mousewheel zoom in/out would be so cool.

There isn't one big thing with the UI, but lot of small inconsistencies that degreades the level of gameplay. It's still 100% playable, but sometimes just feels awkward especially for the guy that likes to use keyboard shortcuts constantly. Otherwise I like the UI and especially the right-click "wheel" menu. It's unique and it WORKS.

PS. What is KotB? :errf:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  4. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Keep on the Borderland. A new game using ToEE as the basis. Still in the Beta stage. Recommend downloading and playing ASAP. ;)

5. Ergonpandilus

Ergonpandilus the Avatar

Is there any spells above level 5 in Co8?

6. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Spells go up to level 9 in some cases/classes. Summon spells can get you a 200hp Elder Fire Elemental at level 9. It put a hurt on Iuz before he finally killed it. Lots of new spells in the 5 series mods.

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ahhh, you want to change all the niggly annoyances: I thought you meant things like fonts, GUI graphics etc. No, we basicaly can't change any of what you are saying :) But there's still hope:
    Why? It would only close the inventory view and open the level-up view.
    In places you can sleep, a green or yellow tent appears at the bottom. Click that.
    We've improved that somewhat, more to be done.
    Only corpses with LOOT get highlighted - thats an improvement.
    If its got a number, it should stack. If yours don't, identfiy them and you will see they are different potions (use Read magic, not Identify, its cheaper)

8. Ergonpandilus

Ergonpandilus the Avatar

You can identify potions with Read Magic? Okay, I didn't knew that, is it in the description...? :confused:

Haven't seen any tent, but I give it another shot... :eek:

Okay, good thing about the highlighting the coprses. Though you shouldn't be able to loot the corpse at all then, if it doesn't got highlighted and it would also help preventing from accidently clicking corpses while there is lot of them in small room.

Is any of the monk feats over level 10 implement. Abundant Step is there at least, but how about the rest? And how about the rest of the classes like Druid? And is there any hope in this matter or is everything hardcoded in the engine?

Just that I've understood correctly; you do gain abilities (in level 12, 16 and 20), new feats, new spell slots (even higher level), BAB increases, HP increases, saves increaes and you gain skill points, right? There is at least one spell per spell level over level 5 for all the spellcasters?

Overall, the game doesn't feel very newbie friendly, but luckily I have gone through all the IWDs/BGs/NWNs so it's not a problem to me.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
Our Host!