New sounds for ToEE

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Shiningted, May 11, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

thanks drifter ill try it again and see if i cant get it right this time.

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I just found the link to your new sounds on the atari boards (by accident, clicked on the wrong "favorite place"), your "install first" file doesn't have the files for the mp3's to go in, no problem for me, but all the mp3 readme's say I should have those already. Havn't play tested them yet though.

Does anyone know any really cool audio editing software? It'd be great if we could get the background music out of Aragorn's mp3's!

Great work there Ted!:dance: :wavey:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2005
  3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Hmmmm... extracting to the folder (and keeping folder thingys switched on) SHOULD create the empty numbered folders in the Speech folder (or wherever it goes)... gimme an hour to download them and see what happens, i got a virginal ToEE here so I'll apply it and check.

Edit: well I installed them and the folders came up fine... mmm you had 'use folder names' switched on?

4. Drifter

Drifter Established Member

Audacity is cool, free, small opensource sound editor. Supports VST plugins.
    The only drawback is that it doesn't have batch feature - can't convert or apply same effect to many files at once. But otherwise it's a great tool.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

LOTR soundtrack music, right? Grab the CD and go to town.

6. Shiningted

Nah, he means REMOVE the music from the mp3 - it really detracts from the voice... although... hmmm... an el-cheapo Karaoke machine would do the job, the types where you can stick in a normal record and it 'removes' the vocal track. It does that by 'removing' (cancelling out) anything that peaks on both channels, working on the theory that music is usually mixed as stereo across the two channels but the vocal track (as the main thing u r listening to) turns up the same on both. In this case, if u played the soundtrack through one channel and the mp3 through the other, it would cancel out the soundtrack. :yes: Of course, you would have to find that exact bit of music on a 3 hour soundtrack and synchronise it juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust right :nerd:

7. Shiningted

Update

Ok, regards those dang missing sounds... finally had a chance to fiddle with the .dll, the results were not promising but give me a little something to work on.

I found a bunch of code that seems to control the dialogues. The beginning sections for the different chunks are as follows:

10037d0e: 'my pack is full'

10037ed0: 'wow look at all the loot' (this is peculiarly repeated around 10037f6f)

10037c7e: 'oops I seem to be dead'

10037c20: 'i don't wanna buy that' (shopkeepers like Otis)

10037be0: 'I won't sell to you'

10037e5e: 'Ugh the leader is dead!'

10038190: 'Look, a Boss monster'

Each of these chunks of memory has a patch with 3 'push' commands

push aaaa
    push bbbb
    push cccc

Where aaaa is the line number in the dlg file (in hex of course) and bbbb & cccc are the parameters for the dlg sections in the generic files (gd_npc_f2m.mes and such in the ToEE3/mes folder). So for instance, 'hey my pack is full!' is found in all the NPCs at line number 12055 (2F17h) and in the generic files at 3400-3499 which is 0D48h-0DABh. So the push things are:

push 2F17
    push 0DAB
    push 0D48 (yes, its backwards so to speak)

I am sure these are the relavent chunks of code because they go through the lines of dialogue that actually work one after another and consistently match the generic bits with the dialogue lines. ('Lines that work' - hard to test the boss monster one, and the 'I'm dead' doesn't work but its a good one for me to fix - otherwise, we are talking about those rare ones that DO work, looting, overburdened, barter dialogues, and 'the leader is dead' which i showed above will appear consistently with the right party order.).

The bad news: there is no code for the critical hits / misses / combat ones in general. I haven't looked for them all but certainly the criticals are missing. I have run searches for both the relevant lines of dialogue and the generic sections and nothing came up.

Now, thats not the end: there is lotsa stuff that 'sometimes' werks that isn't in there. For instance, comments when the party arrives at a certain location, such as the Temple doors or the throne or Thrommel's crypt. So there are other ways the dialogue lines appear. O and i distinctly heard Meleny cry out the other day in combat when she got AoO'd down to exactly 0 hit points then (finishing her move) exerted herself unconscious. So its not the end of the story, but no easy fixes apparent unfortunately.

Anyway i was hoping there WOULD be some easy answers :) so now i think i will use Drifter's thing to make some new voices, at least i will have accomplished something tonight. Hey Lord GW I will try some files other than those u sent me, so let me know how u r going!

8. Shiningted

Ok Drifter, ur batch file thing worked perfectly :notworthy thanks very much!

Ummmm as it is set up, the converter seems to buff the file 4-5 times, if that is not simply the different formats, is there a comand-line thingy to record at a lower frequency or something so the decoded files come out smaller? And if so, could u re-.bat it for me? :wave:

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Re: Update

Sorry, I can't resist . . .

Interesting. I wonder, is there another seldom-used category? 1200 series perhaps, covering exclamations of pleasure? :giggle:

10. Allyx

Hey ted, check this out, I was playing around with audacity, applied noise reduction and set a big sweeping curve on the graphics equaliser, I've practically removed all the music, One down....

Attached Files:

11. Shiningted

I don't suppose you feel like doing a matching Arwen set as well do u? :headfones I have the files if you feel like mixing them...

12. Allyx

Yeah why not, email the sounds to me (use the aim/aol email link) and i'll see what I can do with them.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2005
  13. Shiningted

Ok, I will fiddle the files into their proper form then send em over. :dance:

14. Shiningted

Well I should have updated this a week ago, but I have been doing this and that.

I have basically shelved the attempts to hack the .dll. The locations I mentioned above are accurate, no doubt about that, but the reason some fire and some don't are beyond me: the values get loaded in ok, they get pushed onto the stack, then the same subroutines get called (so from the loading bit its identical), but some work and others don't. Its beyond me what the problem is, and I quickly get lost. Someone who knows what they are doing and has some decent debugging software could doubtless fix it fairly quickly but I'm just an old z-80 fiddler with a shareware disassembler and a hex editor and I get lost easily. Also, I think my time could be better spent doing other things, because I spent many many hours on this and got nowhere, and there's plenty more other stuff to get done in this game! And furthermore even if I got the 'death cry' happening, the way it is structured I would not therefore have been able to get the other's working, and the 'look a boss monster' is a bit hard to figure what trigures it (I mean probably the node guardians at least, but its not something exact like scoring a critical hit, or dying).

I am still keeping in mind the no-traps-noise issue, I think I have some ideas there.

But mostly I am trying to get my little mod done, thats coming along nicely.

Hope all this stuff is of use to someone, and I can see no harm in continuing to update it if anyone sees anything relevant.

15. Shiningted

Well, I was trying to do a new strategy in strategy.tab, and the individual in question ended up doing nothing more than taking 5 foot steps (which is good) and casting 'fear' (which was good the first time, but sorta pointless after that - even St C would lose the fight eventually if all he did was cast 'fear').

However, one good thing came from it: all the NPC followers who had fear cast on them - Elmo, Meleny and Spoonwah - yelled in fear and ran off.

So it would appear that while the 'npc fails morale check' thing is dodgy, the actual 'npc voices fear' thing works fine :) One more for the small pile of correctly working voices.

Our Host!