New sounds for ToEE

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Shiningted, May 11, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Got'm Gaear! Thanks - thats a lot of clicking ;-) And i know whatcha mean abiout not having specific ones... its a crying shame we can't get everything going (yet) because i came up with some very sweet (imho) improvising for lines. People who took friendly fire will at least be expressing themselves in no uncertain terms!

I been looking for a converter, Graywolfe, and I dare say I will continue. You know, I never saw the point of additional portraits (beyond novelty value), but now i really wish we could add like 40 more portaits to go with the (potential) 40 more voices. Could really feel you are creating something unique in a character.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I can get any PC soundset from any game I've got installed via analog capture. I record the soundsets by playing through them at character creation, then edit them down, etc., etc. As far as converting raw data, that's iffy. Cool Edit Pro won't do it. I'd say we disregard any raw data files we come across and focus on legitimate .wav resources or capturing our own.

Ted, I'll send you the next IWD2 fem set - got my clicking finger rested. ;)

3. Drifter

Drifter Established Member

Sounds in Infinity engine games (BGs, IWDs, PST...) are in wavc and acm formats.
    1. To extract sounds from game data files use NearInfinity or InfinityExplorer or WinBiff or whatever. All these tools can be googled pretty easy, even if teambg.net sadly is no more.
    2. To convert sounds from wavc/acm use the converter. I attached it, although it can be googled too.

Attached Files:

4. Shiningted

Thanks champ! I have never heard of it and my little bit of forum trawling hadn't turned anything up, that makes life SOOOOO much easier.

5. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

great Drifter and thanks. ill have to play around with those files now and see how they come out. id love to have them in the game vs the weak ones there now.

6. Shiningted

I couldn't get that to work (well it worked, but didn't see any of the BG wav files) so if u have any luck let me know Graywolfe.

First bunch should be up on here within the hour. :)

7. Drifter

Well, that GUI frontend 'sees' only .acm files it seems.
    But rephrasing yourself, GUI frontends are for sissies.
    So use the real program instead, which is console only - wavc.exe. If you have many filez to convert, write a simple batch script.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2005
  8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Hey Ted -

I noticed from your download link in the other thread that most of your sets are quite a bit larger in file size than the two I contributed, something like 4 or 5 times larger. Any idea why? How are you converting to MP3? Do you have the same number of files per set, etc.? Can I think of another question to string on here that will make this post more irritating? ;-) j/k

Seriously, the only reason I'm inquiring is that smaller is better. People will be more likely to use them if they're easy to get.

I intend to take a really close look at these . . . I think that with a rigid process of authentication, such a mod could be petitioned to Morpheus for inclusion in Co8 4.0.0.

All your effort is appreciated. The whole audio mess is an area that IMO has been neflected for too long.

9. Shiningted

All good questions. The bizarre thing is, my files don't have as many as yours i think, because I didn't duplicate the voices as u suggested... i mean I don't mind in the slightest that u did, didn't take long to copy'n'paste them a few times in the dlg files (and it always pays to be thorough) but, well, i didn't ^_^

I think the reasons for mine being larger anyway are manifold:

- I think maybe yours are a bit more professional, so packed better so to speak? Alternately, yours are recorded at lower frequency. Lemme check that (wanders off to run them).

Ok yours are at 56kbps, mine are 128, mystery solved! Ill skip all the other possible reasons.

In any case, since we don't hear any difference, and don't have much of a say over what we can find that'll go into the game, it don't matter. Though I do agree that smaller is better... but i have cable now, so surely all you people should too??? :beer:

Now... to convert i was using a thing called ummmm wav to mp3 converter or something. Great little gadget, however a few times it tried to get online, so i told the firewall to tell it where to go. Then (after i had finished converting) i did a system scan and Norton found it was actually a piece of malware, nothing dangerous but then, nothing good either. So of course I deleted it. Ummm so i have no converter atm :no: Sorry, lemme know if u find a good one.

10. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

well ive tried with the converter that drifter posted but it doesnt work with the IWD2 sounds files. it doesnt see them as wavc or acm files. i checked the properties and it lists them as just a regular wav file. it still tells me i dont have the codec so im thinking that the special codec they use is part of the game but i havent found it yet .

11. Drifter

Hmm... kinda curious. Could you upload one such sound somewhere, as an example? I don't have IWD2 myself.

12. Shiningted

Last edited: Jun 5, 2005
  13. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

sure here you go

Attached Files:

14. Drifter

Well, I have checked these files... they are wavc, and the converter (as I said, wavc.exe, not the GUI one) works fine. It works from console (aka command prompt), usage described in wavc.txt. To convert many files automatically it's handy to write a simple batch script involving FOR command (you can get detailed description of FOR usage by typing "help for" in command prompt). That's it for theory.
    Anyway, I wrote the bat for you lazy bums. Unzip wavc.exe and dewavc.bat to the directory with these IWD2 wav files, doubleclick dewavc.bat and you'll get all files converted to normal wav and placed into Decoded subdir. Repeat as necessary.

Attached Files:

• wavc.zip
      File size:
      18.1 KB
      Views:
  15. Shiningted

Thanks Drifter, I'll just knock over this PhD and then get converting. :eyebrow:

Our Host!