New content removal mod/patch

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Sitra Achara, Apr 11, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Question answered! Thanks Gaear. I'm just being Ti... - overcautious - as usual

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

"There are some who call me 'Tim'urlane."

3. Basil the Timid

Can anyone help with how to install this over the new 5.0.0 for TFE-X format?

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Can't be done, Basil: it'd be like installing XP over Vista. Why would you want to? 5.5 takes the new content like HB and Verbobonc and gives it a damn good (though not final) polish: new maps, new Worldmaps, Welkwood Bog for later etc. If you don't want that, play 3.0.4.

5. Basil the Timid

I just wanted to take the advice of others to compare a "vanilla" game with the cool stuff. How do you figure 4.0.1 compares with Sitra's? (I read Wizgeorge's feedback on 3.0.4 - too many bugs).

I was also planning on doing a LE party, since no Big 3, and objective just to get Fragarach and maybe talk to some clerics.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

3.0.4 is the state of the Co8 modpack in which the ratio of fixes to new content is most tilted toward fixes. It has virtually no new content (well, some, but nothing compared to what we have now, and probably not real noticeable if you're not paying attention), but it also has nowhere near as many of the fixes. But it is considered the most fix-oriented mod we have.

Sitra's mod is very much an independant project.

7. Basil the Timid

Thanks Gaear. So what is the attraction for 4.0.1? I have read the new release notes and I can see that 4.0.0 series has a LOT of fixes, but what is the new content?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  8. Gaear

I'm not aware that 3.0.4 had a lot of bugs - it was very popular at its time - but it doesn't fix as many bugs, certainly.

4.0.1 is well on the way to hyper-new content, so it can't be considered any form of bugfix-oriented release. It's really insignificant to this discussion.

I'd suggest 3.0.4 if you're really determined to experiment, but bear in mind that it will seem pretty empty if you're used to the modern day mod - no shopmap whatsoever, no ... well, anything, except vanilla content and the Burne's Puzzles quest and some custom items done by Allyx.

To me, vanilla is just plain boring. :bored:

9. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Yeah, I think Vanilla is pretty much empty, too. Almost nothing to do except for the main quest. :) But hey, different strokes are for different folks, I guess.

@ Basil: if you want to learn more about the major releases of the Co8 mod, just read the 'release notes' file in the 'docs' folder of your 5.5.0 beta installation, provided that you installed 5.5.0 of course. It explains changes in every major Co8 modpack release. If you don't yet have 5.5.0 beta installed, just check here: http://files.co8.org/docs/Circle of Eight Modpack 5.5.0 - Release Notes.txt

- Agetian

10. Basil the Timid

I hear you Gaear! But you guys told me that in order to better appreciate your work, I should try vanilla - but I don't want the hassles of bugs. After reading the release notes and your words regarding 4.0.1, I have decided to keep my original game installation and use Sitra's mod. I will confine my comments on this (short) game to this thread. Hopefully, it will help the community one day when - not if - Sitra returns.

11. Gaear

Sounds good Basil, good luck.

btw, I wonder if you could refrain from editing your posts after they've been answered so that people don't think I'm not speaking to the issues that you brought up, or that I am speaking to issues you didn't bring up. ;) A follow-up post is usually better for that sort of thing.

Thanks.

12. GuardianAngel82

I think I did that to you yesterday, hours after the first post. Almost the perfect ninja strike.

I think editing is more fun. I learned this from Half-Knight. :transform

How long would the ban be? :errf:

13. Basil the Timid

Actually, Gaear, you answered me while I was editing. Of course, I was also reading files at the time but that is why the edit process took so long. I did that once to HK - he said I made his post look ridiculous. Appy polly loggies gents!

14. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Very nice! A Black Adder reference!

15. GuardianAngel82

THAT'S HOW I LEARNED IT FROM HALF-KNIGHT! Now to figure out how to do it on purpose...:twisted:

Our Host!