New Character Portraits? Please?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by maveric28, Dec 30, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

I guess I'm missing something. I downloaded the IWD portrait pack and pasted the portraits folder into the data/art/interface folder, but none of the originals were lost and only a few of the IWD pics showed up. Granted, I did get 7-8 new pics, but how can I see the rest?

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I've never tried the IWD portraits pack, but the portraits MES file probably just has the IWD portraits added to the end of the list. As noted above, only 5 additional portraits can be accessed, with a max of 42 at once.

3. Lord Plothos

So, if I go into the portrait.mes and delete some of the original entries for character portraits, that will open up room for the new portraits?

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

It might. A safer way would be to leave the initial number strings of the original portraits intact and replace the subsequent data with the IWD stuff. For example:

{0550} {IWDFighterGuy_BIG.tga}
    {0551} {IWDFighterGuy_MINI.tga}
    {0552} {IWDFighterGuy_SMALL.tga}
    {0553} {IWDFighterGuy_SMALL_GREY.tga}
    {0554} {IWDFighterGuy_MINI_GREY.tga}

where 0550 - 0554 is unchanged and the subsequent data reflects actual portrait names in your PORTRAITS folder from IWD. This way you would clearly be replacing portraits instead of deleting some and stacking others and hoping for the best.

I'd suggest you first open up portaits.mes and verify the current location of the IWD strings. If they're in the 3070, 3080, 3090, 3100, and 3110 strings and then beyond, then what I said in the last post is probably so.

Remember, whatever you do you'll only get 42 in there at once.

5. Lord Plothos

Worked like a charm. Thanks a bunch.

6. Lord Plothos

Oh, and by the way, I'm getting 7 rows of 7 pics each, for a total of 49, not 42. Maybe mine got altered or something.

7. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

maybe it has to do with screen resolution...

elsewhere i heard you can only get 48 for example.

Our Host!