Need Help with High level Quests (spoiler alert)

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by UncleBuck, Jan 12, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

It very likely will, as there are some serious fixes in it.

I haven't looked closely at the SB yet, but I suspect it's simply that the timed events are failing. If that's the case, no console command will fix it.

2. chano

chano Established Member

Thanks guys,, will try the Gremlich encounter in this game and then play through a fourth time when the fixes come, probably would have done that anyway :)

3. chano

chano Established Member

Got the conversation with the guards this time about the gremlich.
    After ratting on the hextorites i saved the game, travelled to the square got no conversation.
    Reloaded and travelled out of verbo from the church and then back in and got the conversation.

Tried once more to just go from church to square and then out and back in, no conversation no matter how many times i travelled back and forth.
    Is this to make things seem logical as the hextorites would be able to leave and make plans during the time i takes for me to walk from the church to the square?

If so it seems like a bug that i can't get the conversation after travlling back and forth if i first travel to the square.

4. chano

chano Established Member

Got the SB encounter, first time i got it i chose just to reload because i had not memorized any spells after my last fight.

second time i managed to kill the 4 first attackers and got a ctd when trying to leave

5. Gaear

Things don't always happen instantaneously. Word needs time to get around. (Also the flag that controls it is only set when you go to the square, thus it won't happen the first time.)

My advice: don't try to engineer events that you think/know should happen. Just play the game and let it happen. :) Great pains are often taken to try to immerse you in the game world (inasmuch as that's even possible in ToEE - and the small possibilities make what's available all the more valuable), and playing mechnically (e.g. "Now I need to go here and do that in order to activate the other" as opposed to "Now my group needs to go feast, poop, and rest") pretty much scraps all that.

I do understand that everybody plays their own way and that's fine, but for what it's worth it's usually written for immersion, not utility.

6. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

7. chano

chano Established Member

You are right Gaear, and during my first playthrough of 7.0 i just let things happen, no my mission is to see all the new stuff so i pretty strict this time around and i just thought i was strange that i got the dialogue if i travelled out first and the back in and not if travelled directly to the square then out and and back.
    Might just be coincident but not getting the gremlich on my first 3 tries told me something was wrong.

8. Gaear

That routine's going to change anyway with the updated scheduling, so it's largely moot.

How did you get the jump on them? They're not meant to fail, which is probably why the CTD.

9. chano

chano Established Member

I am guessing i waited a bit too long with SB narcing, was too high level to make it a sport.
    I had to choose to let them take my weapons, my mage and cleric both got of spells and they died easily.
    The actual fight was also too easy at a high level as i always carry multiple weapons and always good ones. but i guess that if i roleplayed a bit i would have gotten it at a lower level.

Got the Gremlich,, nice one.

WOTGS is very unstable,, had to reload atleast 10 times due to game freeze.

The dwarf did appear this time around,, would be nice to have him make the actual weapons i need though.

The last quest this time was a certain death as i met 4 St Cuthberts, a bit silly for 5 mortals on level 20 to beat that.

But all in all great NC

10. Gaear

There's a lot going on with those SB encounters (being as they're sort of set pieces), so it's best if you don't do the try-to-play-real-time-action-game thing and refrain from mouse mashing or other button clicking while they're playing out (and you see things like game fades, thunder and lightning, particle effects, mobs spawning and disappearing, NPCs auto-dialoguing, etc.). Basically, if anything in the back of your mind tells you that "something is going on here," you should wait with interfacing until that little voice stops. :yes: ;)

Our Host!