n00b modding issue

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Shiningted, May 7, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ok, I have been making a little something, I introduced a new NPC, added new dialogue, all went well. Added a new quest, it appeared in the book as 'mentioned' (purple) then 'accepted' (blue) at the right moments, but no descriptions. I had forgotten to put in the gamequestlog.mes and gamequest.mes files.

So i stuck em in, now when i click on the log book the game CTD's. What am I doing wrong? There seems nothing wrong with the files. Any ideas?

2. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Maybe your quest description is too long? I think the game CTDs in that case.

3. Shiningted

Its shorter than others, but i will check... keep the suggestions coming!!

4. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Remember that in gamequestlog.mes, the quest titles need to be numbers between 000-199. For the quest descriptions just add 200 to the quest title ID. Quest title 150 corresponds to quest description 350.

The string ID in gamequest.mes must be the same as the quest title ID in gamequestlog.mes.

5. Shiningted

Thanks for your rapid replies Morpheus.

Turns out that gaps in the numbers of the quests need gaps in the log itself - Liv left a space between the end of the game quests (61 or so) and the start of hers (100). I, of course, just wrote mine in between <sigh> and it was enough to cause a CTD. Only took 2 hours of painstaking step-by-step redoing it to find out. O well, she works now, WOOHOOO!!!

For anyone who cares, I am starting at quest 99 and working backwards, so leave the quests in the 90's alone. They're mine!! That leaves you 120 other numbers, USE THEM. (I'm looking at YOU, Mr Cutter... you know who you are)

Our Host!