Musing...

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Dhoom, Jul 11, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Dhoom

Dhoom BIG Troll Berserker

I remember, way back when we first started doing this... I had a vision...

I kept thinking how similar, in terms of game design, that ToEE and Baldurs Gate was... pre-drawn static background maps, and ToEE's 3D characters vs. BG's 2D sprites...

I remember that i figured out how the background maps were layed out, even monkeyed around with making a custom map... that worked... remember a project I was doing w/ the Arena map set... never finished it, but I did a lot of work on it... and that got me thinking, at the time...

I said to myself... "Self, it wouldn't be impossible to convert Baldur Gate's backgrounds to use for the ToEE engine... in fact, with a lot of work, someone could probably remake BG with the ToEE engine."

In the intervening years since then, has anyone else thought of this, tried it, success with it, failed with it, etc? I know the KotB uses custom, new, maps... so my idea back in 2003 was on the right track.

Just a thought that popped into my head, when I was re-reading a lot of the old archived posts...

2. Macer Deathstriker

Macer Deathstriker Member

Think the main problem to this is the world map can't be hacked unless there is a way around it with the KotB mod. But don' take my word for ask a Moder for sure. I personally would love to play a turned based version of BG or BG2.

Macer

3. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

All the great story and NPCs of the BG series, without the craptastic real-time combat? That would be awesome, though a real PITA to pull off, I'm sure.

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yeah it has been suggested before and could be done, but would be a gargantuan effort and the thing is, do we want to put that effort into remaking something that is already there, or making something new? I mean I love BG's plot as much as the next person, and in some ways it would probably be less work than starting from scratch, but I think we could achieve something better by learning from the best parts of both.

If you DO wanna go for it though Dhoom, I've written a few tutorials on using ToEEWB if you wanna check out my blog :

\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

5. Ugignadl

Ugignadl Established Member

Yeah, it could be done...but why not just play BG if you want to have BG? The combat it annoying, and cheesy, but...I kind of like the idea of creating/translating another Gygax module. Like KOTB :).

6. Dhoom

Dhoom BIG Troll Berserker

Oh yeah... hundreds of man-hours of work, at least.

Our Host!