Music

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scryler, Jan 13, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Well, not exactly. There was no info about you there, no gender, location,
    name, or website which would let me identify you in any way. From my experience,
    identifying people solely by their nicknames tends to be inaccurate. :p

I asked you to listen to our stuff so that we could get a new listener listed in the
    band's stats menu. That's the only benefit we get. ;) Hey, so far we've got 8. ;P
    There's more to that of course. Because of the low number of listeners we aren't
    listed in "similar bands" charts for any band, and generally, "no one" can get to
    know about us. ;)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  2. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

I don't know. Is it?

I haven't gotten very far with meditation. Shutting up the internal dialogue is very difficult. There is a form of meditation that accommodates the internal dialogue, rather than ignoring it, but I lost interest in it. It would probably be worthwhile to start practicing it again.

There are not too many things, in my case, that shut up the internal dialogue. Throwing clay on a wheel, music, some types of physical activity...and singing does. (Singing isn't reliable...I soon start hearing comments on my singing ability.)

Yet, I can normally do quite well at hypnotizing myself. So go figure.

3. Scryler

I am paranoid. Not certifiable, but...maybe...overcareful.

For awhile, there was no information about me at all on the net. Then one day, there was a reference (my real name). It freaked me out.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

5. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I know people who listen to music, sounds, mantras, etc. There are some who stare at things, others who close their eyes and try to clear their minds. Others think repetive thoughts or visualize things. Some are trying to calm themselves, others are trying work themselves up. I'm amazed at all things people do to their minds. I wonder if there is a discipline that covers these things, or even if there could be one.

6. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Even if your not paranoid, it doesnt mean that they're not out to get you.

They are.

7. Emirkol the Chaotic

Oh jeez....

Dead Can Dance? I thought I was finally away from all of that. My sister was a goth and was into that kind of music, along with This Mortal Coil, Bel Canto, the Swans, et al.

I tried, I REALLY tried, to get into this music. I just couldn't. I was able to tolerate This Mortal Coil, in small doses. Same goes with the band Marillion and their lead singer, Fish's, solo stuff. This was my ex's favourite. She also tried, but again, no go.

Leave me with my Classic Rock. (Beatles, Moody Blues, Floyd, etc.)

BTW, that is not the extent of my scope of musical interests. To list them all, or even a good chunk of them would be ridiculous.

Can defnitiely state that I am not a fan of Rap, House, Techno, Hip Hop, etc., so we can rule those out.

8. Emirkol the Chaotic

I've had the same problem with the internal voice as well. However it compounded by the fact that I have the additional disctractions of a son and a young, male cat. The wife has NEVER been a distraction to me, no matter what I'm doing.

I'm curious about the meditation form that accomodates the internal dialogue. However I know my eternal dialogue is full of it, so maybe I would want to accomodate it anyway.

Do you mean this literally or figureatively?
    To be able to hypnotize oneself... I think I could apply that to some of those rare (but seemingly increasing) boughts of insomnia I've been having.

9. Scryler

Here's a fun way to hypnotize yourself:

When you are in bed, visualize the bed rocking slowly from side to side. See yourself rolling from one side of the bed to the other as the bed tips to and fro. (You almost roll to the very edge, then the rocking of the bed takes back the other way.) Once you've got this down, set the bed to spinning slowly. Speed it up. Side to side, round and round. Pretty soon, you'll fall off the bed (in your imagination...I've never actually fallen off). Your entire body will jump. As if you really fell.

I didn't know that I was actually hypnotizing myself. I was just amusing myself as a kid while I was waiting to fall into sleep. A hypnotherapist told me that's what I was doing.

Edit: I still do it once in awhile, just to see if I can. Doesn't take long.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  10. Scryler

You're talking an academic discipline? I think there is. A variation of sociology, I think.

11. Emirkol the Chaotic

Sounds like one my old late nights out, after coming home from the bar! :drunk:

I REALLY don't miss those days!!

12. Scryler

Try doing other activities to it, rather than just listening.

13. Emirkol the Chaotic

Yeah, you're probably right. It was so long ago it's a little hard to remember if I was actually doing other activities while listening.

On the other hand, some of that music and the time period when I was first exposed to it, does carry a few "unpleasant" memories. Not horrible, just unpleasant.

Funny, back then I thought I was in a dark zone. Little did I know what life had in store for me just a few years later. During that time, music REALLY came to my resuce.

However, I can no longer listen to "I Need You" by America due to some bad associations during that time.

14. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I think 'goth' is a classification that was invented in more modern times (still not sure why, even - to declare your particular musical allegiance?) and the heyday of those bands was in the eighties. I don't think they even wore any funny makeup (except for Robert Smith, of course ;)). Regardless of their musical tendencies, Lisa Gerrard can sing.

(Ironically, Robert Smith's best music was made prior to his wearing the funny makeup, imo. That old material - some very dangerous stuff, really - would have been more in line with what I understand purist 'goth' sensibilities to be, and yet he wore the makeup after the music turned happy. Go figure. :yeaaa: )

Must have been happy music, or so I hope. ;)

It's a strange thing, but I never understood the Elton John 'Sad Song' lyrics. When all hope is gone, turn on the sad songs? WTF? There's something truly horrible way down inside the darkest of those, and the last thing anyone with no hope should be doing is tapping into that well. (I guess that song itself was sappily transparent, so maybe he figured no one would take him seriously.)

15. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Hmm... Actually, I feel better when I listen to sad tunes when I have the blues. Fight fire with fire?

Our Host!