Music

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scryler, Jan 13, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

2. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

How long have they been showing this video without me?!

Now that's what I'm talkin' bout.

Favorited.

I wasn't ready to believe that anyone could write any decent music after late eighties/early nineties but this is really great. Right up my alley. I must admit that I love the content more than the voice but I got no complaints. It's better than all the million others that ain't writing anything but whiney bullcrap. This is the kind of stuff that should be mainstream. This would be very soothing to play as backround music in the grade schools. Mellow them kids out.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  3. Necroticpus

I am very sad, truly. I have learned that Ronnie James Dio is in the hospital with stomach cancer. Generally regarded as the best metal vocalist in the history of humankind, he pre-dates all of the big bands that are now old like Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, Ozzy Osbourne and the rest of everybody else.

I have seen very many interviews with him and he is one of the best people on the planet. He's outgoing to everyone, has the patience of a saint when squillions of fans are crawling all over each other and stabbing each other to get his autograph first, formed metallists for african relief called Hear N' Aid, gives generously to charity and bunches of other do-gooder things, has played free concerts spontaneously , etc. If I could, I would give the remaining years of my life so that he could remain doing better than what any other band has done in their careers. Ronnie James Dio is to REAL heavy metal like what Johnny Cash is to country. THE icon.

Little piece of trivial knowledge. Ronnie is the one who made the sign of the horns popular way back when, sparking the most widely known "things" of heavy metal music...:rock:

Stay strong Ronnie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-7YYm4DlJw&feature=related

4. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

"No Rest for the Wicked"

5. Scryler

The Police - Wrapped around your finger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svWINSRhQU0

Lyrics:

You consider me the young apprentice
    Caught between the Scylla and Charybdis
    Hypnotized by you if I should linger
    Staring at the ring around your finger

I have only come here seeking knowledge
    Things they would not teach me of in college
    I can see the destiny you sold
    Turned into a shining band of gold

I'll be wrapped around your finger

Mephistopheles is not your name
    I know what you're up to just the same
    I will listen hard to your tuition **
    You will see it come to it's fruition

Devil and the deep blue sea behind me
    Vanish in the air you'll never find me
    I will turn your face to alabaster
    When you will find your servant is your master

Ohhh, you'll be wrapped around my finger
    You'll be wrapped around my finger **
    You'll be wrapped around my finger **

6. Scryler

7. Necroticpus

Today sucks...

Metal legend Ronnie James Dio dead at 67
    May 16, 2010, 3:28 PM EST

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Ronnie James Dio, whose soaring vocals, poetic lyrics and mythic tales of a never-ending struggle between good and evil broke new ground in heavy metal, died Sunday, according to a statement from his wife and manager. He was 67.

Dio revealed last summer that he was suffering from stomach cancer shortly after wrapping up a tour in Atlantic City, N.J. with the latest incarnation of Black Sabbath, under the name Heaven and Hell.

"Today my heart is broken, Wendy Dio wrote on the singer's site, adding he died at 7:45 a.m. "Many, many friends and family were able to say their private goodbyes before he peacefully passed away.

"Ronnie knew how much he was loved by all," Wendy Dio continued. "We so appreciate the love and support that you have all given us ... Please know he loved you all and his music will live on forever."

More on Heavy Metal Superfans: Ronnie James Dio 1942-2010 | Ronnie James Dio battling stomach cancer

The statement was confirmed by Los Angeles publicist Maureen O'Connor.

Dio rose to fame in 1975 as the first lead singer of Rainbow, the heavy metal band put together by guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, who had just quit Deep Purple.

Dio then replaced legendary vocalist Ozzy Osbourne in Black Sabbath in 1980 with the critically acclaimed album "Heaven And Hell," considered by many critics to be one of the finest heavy-metal albums of all time. His on-again, off-again tenure with Black Sabbath touched off an intense debate among fans as to which singer was the true essence of the band — a discussion that lasted until his death.

Videos: Ronnie James Dio

He also enjoyed a successful solo career with his self-titled band, Dio, in between his three stints with Black Sabbath (1980-82; 1992; and 2007-2009, when the band toured as Heaven And Hell, to differentiate it from Osbourne-led versions of Sabbath). Dio was also inducted into the Rock Walk of Fame in Hollywood in 2007.

Many of his most memorable songs revolved around the struggle between good and evil, including his signature tune "Heaven And Hell. He also drew heavily on medieval imagery in songs like "Neon Knights, "Killing The Dragon and "Stargazer.

"He possessed one of the greatest voices in all of heavy metal, and had a heart to match it, said Twisted Sister guitarist Jay Jay French, whose band toured with Dio since 1983, and was to do so again this summer at European rock festivals. "He was the nicest, classiest person you would ever want to meet.

Dio organized an all-star charity collaboration in 1986 called "Hear N Aid" to raise money for famine relief in Africa, styled on the successful "We Are The World" campaign of a few years earlier.

His solo hits included "Rainbow In The Dark," "The Last In Line" and "Holy Diver."

Wendy Dio said that friends and family were able to say their goodbyes to her husband, and asked for privacy. She concluded: "Please know he loved you all and his music will live on forever."

8. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

Lux Interior dead at 60, now Dio I think we are on the edge of a great wave of extinction not seen since dinosaurs walked the earth.

9. Necroticpus

Oh definitely. All of the icons and legends that really made rock as huge as it is are going to be dropping like flies within the next 10 - 15 years. Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Black Oak Arkansas, Van Halen. etc. and all the great musicians that created music history.

And then what are we left with? Poison? Warrant? Trixter? Enuffz Enuff? Britney Spears? The Backstreet Boys? N'sync? Justin Bieber?

Wow, that's really depressing. That's why I just went on a tear with my income tax and bought over 200 CD's offa E-Bay of all the music I grew up with and music that was released before 15 - 17 - 18 years ago.

10. Necroticpus

New Ozzy album on 6/22/10. Oh yeah, baby!

Attached Files:

11. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

And there was the recent death of Slipknot's bassist Paul Grey. I used to listen to those nutjobs in my teens. I still do sometimes. :D And the death of Pete Steele from Type'O'Negative (never been a fan but was aware of the band and it's popularity, especially here in Poland).

Still, there's a lot of great musicians left, and new ones still coming. Some of them just remain unknown in the underground and you have to look for them. Maybe Kyuss who were heavily influenced by Black Sabbath are defunct but there is a lot of what is apparently called 'stoner' bands. Led Zepplin and King Crimson influenced Tool (though it may not be so visible as one might assume) among others, so it's not that bad, even though it is sad you may not hear from the artists ever again.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  12. Necroticpus

That's quite interesting. I didn't know Peter Steele died. Only 48 and he died of heart failure. Man, that's harsh. Too young to be dying from heart problems. I almost thought he would've been a suicide case. His interviews about what his family did to him are on YouTube. Brutal. Kicked him out of the house on Christmas eve, threw him in the whack shack for a while and then he gets out, turns around and goes to Riker's Island for a while.

Rock stars should be dying the normal way they used to, ODing on heroin or drowning on their own vomit.

13. MR_Krinkle

MR_Krinkle Member

I am jamming some megadeth- Hanger 18

14. Necroticpus

Attached Files:

15. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

That was pretty sad. I was a fan of a good deal (not all, mind you) of their music. Bloody Kisses and October Rust being my favourite albums. My sister turned me onto them after she was introduced to them in Norway by her overseas boyfriend.

J, who's not fan of the band, but has at least given their music a fair listen too, advised me of his passing. Go figure. :shrug:

Our Host!