Multiclass Spellcaster Penalty

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Spellslinger, Aug 26, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Spellslinger

Spellslinger Established Member

I just tried to reproduce the problem mentioned in this thread:

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3069

I gave my high lvl wizard two levels of cleric and then casted all 1st lvl spells of both classes (as per RAW). Could someone enlighten me what exactly the problem is and how I provoke it?

2. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

It is generally found in wizard/sorcerer combinations. The gist is that casting wizard spells will count toward spells/day for the sorcerer spells, i.e if your wizard/sorcerer has 3 first level sorcerer spells per day, and you cast a first level wizard spell, you will then have only 2 first level sorcerer spells available for that day.

3. Spellslinger

Hmm, sounds potentially nasty. I'll try it that way, but the thread mentioned above talks about arcane/divine problems. Maybe it's just the sorceror component that causes the problem. But wouldn't that mean the tech support has been... not absolutely truthful? ;)

4. Enilno

Enilno Quicksword

I have a gnome cleric/sorcerer (lvl 5/4) in my current party who suffers from the spell-limit penalty/bug. I could run some tests to verify, but I believe it allows casting of up to the higher of the spell limits in terms of the number of spells cast (i.e., right now second level spells are limited by my sorcerer spell allotment (which is higher), but third level spells are limited by cleric casting ability (which, of course, means all of them since lvl 4 Sor can't yet cast lvl 3 spells)). Make sense? I do wonder if this happens with other class combos, especially bards since they are soft of like sorcerers in that they can cast any of their known spells (i.e., you don't have to memorize them). I also have a halfling ranger/wizard (lvl 4/5) that can now cast a lvl 1 Rgr spell -- I'll have to check to see if that counts against my wizard allotment (I don't think I've tried exhauseting my memorized lvl 1 spells yet since gaining the ranger spell ability). I was aware of the spell casting bug when setting this party up, but it would be really cool to have that one eradicated (charaters like these (multi-class spellcaster combos) are already 'nerfed' enough and don't need the extra penalty).

5. Spellslinger

Go here, use the fix and report the result to that thread, please.

Our Host!