Monk Levels

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by jamis, Apr 29, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. jamis

jamis Member

I'm playing a Monk, and I'm planning on multicalssing him at some point due to Monk's not getting all their abilities past a certain level.

I'm thinking about taking a couple levels of Rogue for the skills and sneak attack. I'd like some opinions on what level I should start multicalssing and whcih class would work best for a Monk.

2. ShadowDeth

ShadowDeth Save Versus : Stupid

Sorcerer might not be a bad idea. Even if you dip into for sorcerer for one level, you can pick up shield and true strike. True strike eats a turn, but then you could use some of the monk feats without fear of missing.

As I recall all the monk nonsense isn't a shield bonus, so a single cast of shield covers you the battle and your AC sky rockets up.

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

There are only a few (3 for memory) monk abilities that are not yet implemented, you should be able to take a single classed monk through the game, and probably won't even find a non-functioning ability until the very end of the game. That said, rogue would be a good choice for multiclassing (sneak attack damage).

4. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Rogue is a solid choice. However, if you wanted your monk to have rogue class abilities and skills and also be able to sling some spells, you could have the monk train for 6 or 7 levels as a bard.

With respect to the 3+ version rules, you could ask the house rules lawyer, Kalshane, for his opinion on what particular level to start multiclassing and what levels you need to have the monk train in the other class.

Just a funny thought...a monk takes one barbarian level, buffs for a fight and uses barbarian rage!.. ha

5. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Unfortunately, that won't work in ToEE, as you can't change alignments. Monks have to be lawful and barbarians can't be. In PNP you could play a monk, undergo an alignment change (which would prevent you from advancing in monk, but not remove any of the monk abilities already gained) then become a barbarian, though.

As far as the best level for classing out of monk in ToEE, I'm not sure, as I'm not sure which abilities don't work correctly.

That said, as others have suggested, sorcerer/wizard or rogue mesh with monk well enough. (Example:Take Monk up to 9th or 10th. Class into rogue. Take two weapon fighting and improved two weapon fighting, get a pair of magical handaxes or kamas and use flurry of blows combined with TWF to make 5 sneak attacks a round.) Monks get enough cool toys that I generally keep them single-classed, though.

6. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Another thing to dislike about this rules set. Barbarians are born; they are not something one is made.

7. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

same thing goes for sorcerers

8. jamis

jamis Member

I agree that barbarians are born, if I was running a tabletop game I wouldn't allow someone to take levels in barbarian as a second class. They would ahve to start the game as one.

I disagree with Sorcerer though, just because you don't start your career as one doesn't mean you don't have the natural talent to be one. This could be explained several different ways.

But either way I don't like multiclassing as a rule. If/when I do it I have a very specific idea for a character. For instance, I would never take a level in spellcaster just for 1 or 2 spells. It's much easier to buy potions, or just have the resident caster in the group take a wand.

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I find multiclassing too complicated, but I agree many would be bizarre RP choices. I thoroughly agree multiclassing disciplined classes like monks and paladins should prevent you from advancing in them again. Multiclassing clerics is a bit weird too - you just try telling your Prior you're off to learn a new profession! If I were DMing again, I would restrict, say, cleric-bards to that roads god (if players desperately want a Friar Tuck character), and cleric-rogues to that god of trickery guy.

10. Lord_Spike

Ted, I'd take your logic a bit further, and apply it to many clerical mixes. They'd be the exceptional examples of the followers of a particular deity, emulating even more of that beings particular talents.

11. Sokaijin

Sokaijin Established Member

Mizard/cleric(Boccob) is almost a gibbon, I mean given, some DM's I know req. this Multclass of Boccob's clerics. This has nothing to do w/ original post , though. For those wondering what a mizard is , it is a wizard who has gained his abilities through miserly studies. I think thats it.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
  12. Lord_Spike

Sounds kinda "Fupid" if you ask me.

13. pippetta

pippetta Member

how about a 7 monk/ 13 paladin pg?
    you can cast divine, use monk abilities and paladins smite and lay on handas abilities...
    no problem for allignements and u just have to take monk level first.
    due to no multiclass needed for the paladin

14. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Unless you have a specific concept in mind, I don't see it as particularly advantageous over straight monk or straight paladin. Especially since Paladins are geared towards wearing heavy armor, whereas a monk can't wear any armor in order to use a vast majority of their abilities.

15. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Barbarian is IMO the best class to multiclass with...

Barbarian/Ranger (2 weapon style) makes a good combination, similar class skills, improved barbarian hit dice size makes up for the ranger's lower hit dice, and being able to rage every now and again gives the character a boost when the battle is going against you, and using the rangers magic to cure your own wounds if things go really bad is an added bonus.

Barbarian/Rogue likewise the added strength makes sneak attack damage really nice ;) and the added natural movement makes mobility and spring attack especially useful too.

Barbarian/Druid maybe not as special as the other 2 examples but useful none the less. The barbarian class will give a much needed boost to a druid's BAB, rage can boost your own hit points for a while if your friends get into trouble, allowing you to take that AoO to go cure a friend in need.

Barbarian/Wizard my my how rage could come in handy when you need to hit that Vampiric Touch or Shocking Grasp spell, the extra hit points wouldn't go amis either.

I wouldn't worry about the other barbarian multicalss options. unfortunately this thread is about monks, I can only think of one viable multiclass option for a monk, and only because of a very specific reason...

Monk/Druid when a monk gain's 5 levels in Druid and takes the Craft Wonderous Item Feat they can (with enough GP and XP) craft thier own Amulet of the Mighty Fists!

Our Host!