Modified Traders Scenario mod, take two, alpha version

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Sitra Achara, May 10, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Typically it's just a matter of flipping a portrait horizontally and making some adjustments to color and brightness and contrast. You can, for example, make different hair colors this way, and the contrast stuff can make them look either more or less sinsiter, etc. I think it works pretty well when used appropriately. Plus it's quick and painless.

HK's plate is already pretty full, so I'd rather avoid that route if possible.

I guess I should also add that part of the objective of the portraits project is to scale back ToEE's portrait artwork. Whereas with our mods it had come to include all manner of outside sources like IWD, BG, etc., I'd like it to be limited to Troika's concept artist and HK. That way we retain some thematic integrity instead of making it a hodge podge of CRPGs from the last decade.

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Will the Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate portraits still be available?

3. Gaear

Yes. We will make a variety of portrait packs (IWD, BG, Royo, etc.) available for installation the old-fashioned way.

4. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Update to v0.6.

Changes:
    • Created new thugs for shop (new portraits pending)
    • Fixed bug with Gwynneth that I introduced.
    • Fixed dialogue bug with Burne (didn't allow you to ask questions if you've already talked to him and haven't cleared the Moathouse yet)
    • The availability of Burne's "tell me of your stories" dialogue node now depends on a flag (a local flag), so you won't get to hear him blabber about it again as if he never told you about it.
    • Fixed bug relating to revamp of timing system that scrweed up council scripting.
    • Fixed scripting bug that would prevent Ostler Gundigoot and Captain Renton from switching off in their house/inn while the council is ongoing.
    • Changed Big Three Ambush scripting so that a timestamp recording is made when you kill Lareth or drive him away (i.e. clear the Moathouse), and the ambush script uses this timestamp to determine if the ambush is still relevant (no more than two hours have passed since you cleared the moathouse)
    Get it here:

Unzip to main.

5. Gaear

Shall I add this to my to-do list then?

6. Sitra Achara

Update to v0.7.

Get it here.

Changes:

• Replaced some placeholder lines in Badger, Rannos Davl and Burne dialogue.

• Made some alterations regarding the Trader's flight from Hommlet.

• Made non-tower badgers attack you on sight if you broke out of prison.

• Added a small quip at Burne from, available under the right circumstances from within dialogue...

• Modified the [loot store] option: now it takes into consideration whether you received a shortsword from the traders or not, and also displays a text box pop-up to indicate the result.

• Made Paladins fall when doing naughty stuff (like attacking the badger, or attacking the traders without a shred of evidence).

• Badgers now react more appropriately to outlaw rep when Burne is dead: if less than half an hour has passed since his death, they will attempt to arrest you "as usual" (assuming you aren't otherwise marked for killing of course, e.g. you're a butcher of Homlett), and if more than half an hour has passed they will be cognizant of his death and attack you. In other words - no psychic guards! (at least in this context)

• Also changed burne's scripting to acknowledge resurrecting/reincarnating him, in the rare case someone took him on an adventure and got him killed 'legitimately', resurrected him, retired him from the group and started the whole scenario after that.

• This also creates a framework for replacing san_resurrect, which IIRC is broken (I just used san_spell_cast, and checked if the spell is spell_raise_dead or spell_reincarnatione)
    • Added a provision for charmed badgers, so their 'proactivity' scripts won't run if they're charmed or dominated

I'm getting really close to finishing this. I think the only things that are left are polishing up the Traders' escape sequence, replacing a few dialogue placeholders, and bug fixing as needed.

So, now would be a good time as any to do some testing and tell me if anything needs changing... even if there are 0 bugs, I could always use a second pair of eyes.

@Gaear:

Forgot to reply to you earlier, but yeah, go ahead with the portraits.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  7. Sitra Achara

Update to Version 0.75 - just an update for compatibility with latest additions.

Get it here.

8. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

I am very interested in trying this out but I want to make sure I don't mess up the installation.
    - should I use my old CMF 5.0.5 or the new one Gaear put up a week or two ago? I read there are some small problems.
    - Can I also install the new dll file that Ted created for the weapons. I am supposing not.
    - Anything else I should know?

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Use the CMF 5.0.5, plus everything else loose in the CMF thread after that (I think my stuff is all there is) THEN the latest version here. That won't actually have the new monk weapons but unless you specifically wanted to test this with a masterwork tonfa it hardly matters.

10. GuardianAngel82

I've played the .70 version to the Nulb ambush, and I have to say, that the new placement of Smigmal's assassin has, after several reloads, been consistently deadly. Congratulations! (Aieeeee!)

I have then (re)applied the (latest) 5.05 (.06,.07?) mod, followed by traders mod .75. And since I prefer the +2 rapier in my ranger/rogue's hands instead of my wizard's kidneys, I didn't even talk to Berne until I had killed the assassin out in the boonies.

Which leaves me wondering when the first of the month is: 15 + 28n (n is an integer)?

I'd like not to miss the meeting, so I can kill at least Rannos or Gremag before they escape.

Additionally, what's the deal with the Hommlet pyrotechnics? They are gorgeous! But the Fourth of July and Bastille Day have passed. Hopefully, I am going to get my answer in the most hideous way.

Also, I haven't noticed anything different about the trader's barn, am I missing something?

11. Shiningted

Where are you seeing pyrotechnics? I seem to remember Sitra saying he set some off as a testing thing, to indicate the mod is functioning, but it could also be indicateive of a bugged sector.

12. GuardianAngel82

All over Homlett, indoors and outdoors. They occur in 2 main ways:

Those that are oriented on party members and are mainly outside

Those that always in the same places, indoors and out

Both come in multiple types

They seem to cause map lag during change to/from indoor maps and while arrow-keying across Homlett on the play map

They don't seem to cause frame lag like spell-effects during battles, even though several will be on the screen simultaneously

Additionally, the first time during a new game the party enters Nulb or Homlett, there is a rotating dashed blue circle at the base of the lead charecter. It doesn't seem to be present if you reload or leave and return

13. Shiningted

If they're focussed on the characters, then I would suspect they are markers added by Sitra to indicate events are proceeding as planned.

Hmmm... found it: back in the first post:

14. GuardianAngel82

It definitely looks like a bombardment. How about a pre-drop bombardment prior to the insertion of the Brit 1st Airborne (Red Devils) using REAL red devils. Frank can be the pathfinder/FAO. The dressmaker thing can be a cover for chute repair.

15. Sitra Achara

Thanks for testing!

The particle effects are indeed just there to indicate that scripts are running. That way, if some change I make to the code breaks the script, it could cause the particle effect to stop playing and give me a heads up. The mini mushroom clouds and water fountains are centered on hidden script devices, and the other effects are centered around particular party members (who may be the script triggerers, or PCs closest to the script device, or whatever)

But in case it wasn't clear, the effects are in no way part of the mod's core and will be completely removed upon release.

The first of the month is, well, the first of the month. As in March 1st. You can see the game date when you save a game. Unfortunately, the time displayed when you hover the mouse over the blue strip in the lower right corner of the UI only displays the number of days passed since the beginning of the game and not the actual date.
    At any rate, you should be able to ask Burne to pass the exact amount of time for the council meeting, and not have to bother doing so manually.

In regard to the traders' barn - what change were you expecting?

As for the installation compatibility, I see you've already installed the mod, but in case someone else is held back by this - it's compatible with the latest additions from Co8 at least up to the date of the latest update. (which was about 5 days ago from this post)

Lastly, the credit for the assassin's locations goes to Livonya, or whoever last altered the code, because I didn't touch the ambush (except for some behind the scenes scripting perhaps).

If you have any other feedback or suggestions, I encourage you to post it here.

Our Host!