Modified Rannos & Gremag scenario, part 1

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Sitra Achara, Dec 6, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yah... how many can we mod though?

You know (just to throw my $0.02 in and not to suggest Sitra specifically change anything, cause he will go insane trying to please everybody) this might not be a bad scenario to have a couple of totally random outcomes. Roll of the dice. One outcome, badger throws everyone out, another outcome, badger can be talked into standing outside while the party TCB, another one, the badger nevers shows (the sound of the mill-wheel is assumed to have drowned out the noise of the battle).

Personally i think we need a lot more random stuff. Who the heck wants to replay a game that always turns out the same? And you can't complain if people don't react the way u want when it is a random outcome, because people are always capable of behaving in what appears to be random ways (taking into account that we never can know exactly what leads to this or that decision). Rich Burlew over at GitP has written a lot about this sort of stuff for making a good campaign.

2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Heh, I have my hands full as it is :dizzy:. I'll implement what I've discussed and agreed to in this thread, and then go back to part 2 of the scenario. Once I'm done with that, I might revisit part 1 and add more of your suggestions.

Are you going to implement (non-trivial) random elements in KotB?

3. Shiningted

Well to be honest, I haven't implemented any non-trivial ones yet, no.

Plenty of randomised trivial stuff though, its one of the bits I like best about it :) But yeah, there is certainly an intent for certain (side) quests and even characters to start out the same way then change drastically once u get going, depending on the role of the dice. An NPC follower who is good some of the time and evil some of the time but just looks like every other adventurer on the surface, for instance.

4. webusver

webusver Established Member

And what about just giving Butcher reputation each time as soon as you attack traders but didn't fulfil agents' quests? But if you enter the store after completing agents' quests, you see no traders, and Raimol says that they escaped.
    Thus perhaps there is no need in complex scripting. And a player still 100% will recieve the revenge quest.
    On the other hand traders are needed for exp and items. If they were both at 1-2 level with common items, they would not be of any disbalance to the game.

This is all only my imho. I will really appreciate any way you solve this problem.

5. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

Sorry to revive this (now dated) thread, but I just have one thing to state about the mod.

I didn't get the assassin encounter until after I blackmailed Rannos and Gremag into giving me a magic shortsword. So, I wander around a bit, get attacked by the assassin. I go back to confront R&G, and there's no dialog option to mention the assassin. And there's no way to get one of them to flee after the badger steps in and you leave the building, then come back and they have a couple mercenaries. I don't want to miss the Target Of Revenge encounter, but the only way to get it at this point is to attack the Badger, which I really don't want to do...

Is there going to be an update to this mod any time soon to fix this?

EDIT: I actually found a way around this, if anybody else cares. You can knock one of the traders unconscious during the fight, then rest a few hours. After he wakes up, he'll enter combat mode, say you killed the other traitor, and use his dust as normal (although he doesn't actually have it if you loot him while he's unconscious ;)), and you get the Target Of Revenge.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  6. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Now, figuring out that work-around, that's devotion - indeed! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

7. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Hmm Sitra hasn't been around here for some time too...
    Do we have any right to fix this? I wouldn't want to revert
    the scenario to the original state because the part 2 looks
    really promising...

8. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Yes...we have the "right" to fix it. Just like we have the right to include modified content or not. This is something that was okay before, and now is not, apparently due to some mod of Sitra's. If he were still around, I'd say he had the obligation to do it himself; but, since he's not, it falls to saomeone else with the skills.

9. MajorTomSawyer

MajorTomSawyer Archivist of Mods

I think in the very least this mod should be an optional component untill it is finished. It looks good, not being able to finish it sucks.

10. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Hi guys. Been busy with RL lately, though things are starting to settle down. I'll try to address the issues raised as soon as I can.

11. Shiningted

Nice to see you back :wave:

12. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

Very nice. Hopefully you'll be able to stick around a little longer this time without things getting in the way. ;)

13. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

YaY! I was getting really worried if Rannos
    and Gremag scenario will be finished at all.
    If you plan to change Rannos and Gremag's
    dialogues, could you PM me what changes
    it will be? I'm making a localisation of Co8
    and want part 2 in it. :D

14. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Also, keep in mind what's been voiced for those voiceless characters. A number of people have put in a lot of work to get that done for them, and won't like it if that work comes to naught.

15. Fernando

Fernando Established Member

I like Shadow's idea, it can be really useful.

On topic, hats off to Sitra, I really enjoy this "new" R&G, they're no longer easy XP. Coingratulations!

Our Host!