Modding and game difficulty

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by blackfly, May 11, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. oudeis

oudeis Member

So my reward for being a righteous adventurer, protecting the helpless, and helping those in need is that I get to miss cool stuff like this? Screw that- my next restart I'm going to raze that village. :chainsaw:

:cool2:

2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Didn't Burne have a map to the Moathouse on his person?

(Hi, btw)

3. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

HEY!! Welcome back Sitra!!

Been a long time. Just visiting or has RL finally cleared up for you?

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Hey SItra, good to see you :)

I don't know if Burne had a map, but I'd like to think Burne, Rufus and Pishella as a posse would wipe the floor with any party who had no more experience than what they got killing the Hommletians.

5. Avatar_do_Grafite

Avatar_do_Grafite Established Member

Hum... Make sense.
    Ok, I surrender. Ya're right.

Ah, damn... I have never think this way. Well, Im not a "moder" or something... Sorry for the insistence, and thanks, Shiningted. Ill no more come with this.

Of course, I see that ya're right, by the way.

6. Shiningted

That's cool. As I said, people periodically suggest it, I'm just saying its not really feasable without a lot of work. :shrug: But there's no harm in suggesting stuff.

7. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Let's just say that falling ill once in a while has its advantages :)

8. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Sponge baths! ;)

9. maalri

maalri Immortal

State-altering meds....

10. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Sitra has returned!!!!! :notworthy

11. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

I'm siding with Maalri on his "advantage" listing! :evilgrin:

12. Shiningted

Is it either-or? What about "sponge baths AFTER state-altering meds"?

13. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

What about "sponge bath BEFORE state-altering meds?"

I might like to remember the sponge bath - depending on how hot the nurse is...

14. bellack

bellack Member

When I ran it back in the day when Battlesystems was out (loved it.) I had a Player strike a deal with Hedrick and double cross the party. Party was set up to launch a 'sneak' attack on the 4th Level (Temple) however it was an ambush. The party had 20 characters (each of the 5 players had 4 characters) and the running battle separated them. Some ran into the Nodes and others (choosing poorly) ran into the gateway to the Planes. None knew where these hallways lead. Needles to say the 6 that ran into the Planes did not live very long. Of the 7 that ran into the nodes (and they were scattered due to the ambush) only 3 were able to escape. The initial fight on the 4th level took the lives of 4 and 3 were captured by Temple forces.
    The 3 to escape the nodes rescued 2 of the prisoners. The other died in the escape attempt. The 5 PC's got back to Hommlet to warn Burnie of the upcoming danger. You see the Temple had an army and it was poised to attack Hommlet. The character that betrayed them was a Dwarven Necromancer (From the Best of Dragon 3 I think. Most of the party consisted of new classes and races from the Best of Dragon Magazines.) Well he was able to summon over a couple weeks’ time a small undead force to help with the assault of Hommlet.
    The battle was ran using the AD&D Battlesystems rules. It was a very fun battle but needless to say Hommlet was sacked and only one PC lived to tell the story of the battle of Hommlet. The Temple became a staging area for Iuz push into the region. We rand a couple of other battles then stopped the campaign for a few years. We picked the campaign back up when I got Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil. Converted to 3.5.
    Plan on running this campaign that will start where the other left off so many years ago. The surviving PC will be in it (converted to 3.5) as well as new PC’s to take the war to the Temple.
    This revamping of TOEE computer game has helped get me back into the feel of running this campaign. It so far is challanging but I might put it on hold and play KOTBL mod until the new TOEE mode comes out. Id hate to get too far in the game and discovered that I missed something in the new mod that enhances the adventure.
    By the way GREAT JOB guys.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  15. Zagig

Zagig Member

bellack, that sounds awesome. I would bet that the players had a lot of fun and probably still talk about it to this day.
    I did run the RttToEE as a DM twice with players who had never played the original and both said it was an excellent campaign. I was thinking of doing something with Return like you did with the original but just never had the time to set it up.

If you want to use it (it's up to you), there is a RttToEE forum at Monte Cook's forums (http://okayyourturn.yuku.com/). The guys there have some really interesting stories and they've even set up a website with downloads of a lot of handouts and other stuff to enhance your game (don't know the address off-hand but you can find the link in the forum).

Our Host!