Masterwork Armor and Shields

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Kalshane, Feb 9, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I don't know if this is being looked at or not, and I realize it's fairly minor in the grand scheme of things, but the current implementation of the armor check penalty on MW Armor and Shields is slightly screwed up. I believe at some point things were implemented correctly in the Co8 patch and the next Atari patch used a different "fix" that screwed things up again.

Basically the way it seems to be implemented in the game is all MW armors retain their normal stats, but a +1 "masterwork" bonus is applied to the appropriate skills that are affected by armor check penalties. This causes two problems: 1) Players unfamiliar with the rules will be unaware of the advantage of MW armors beyond they can be used to make magical versions.
    2) Sometimes this bonus is applied where it doesn't belong (my Rogue currently has +1 bonus to her dexterity-related skill checks from her Armor-check penalty-free Leather +3) or is not applied where it should be. (My same Rogue has a -1 to her primary attacks and a -2 to her off-hand attacks due to her magical buckler when using light weapons because the game is applying the armor check penalty for a normal buckler to her attack rolls in addition to the penalty for wearing a buckler on a hand you're wielding a weapon in. She should only be recieving a -1 to her off-hand attacks.)

Any idea how to fix this? My guess would be to remove the "masterwork bonus" from the system and then change the stats of all MW and magical items to reflect the correct Armor Check penalties but this seems rather tedious. (Plus I'm not a programmer so I have no idea how to actually implement this.)

Again, this is nothing critical to playing the game, but just another oddity that bugs me from time to time.

Our Host!