Marauder vs. Studded Leather vs. Barbarian Armor

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Spider Dwarf, Apr 30, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

Can someone please explain the differences, stat wise, between Studded Leather, Marauder and Barbarian armor as purchased in the Trader's Inn (Shop map) at the beginning of a new game? They each share the same set of statistics, almost.

Studded and Barbarian each cost, respectively, 37 gp and 22 gp. Meanwhile the Marauder armor while beautiful, costs 296 gp. When I shift-click on the Studded and Marauder armor their movements rates are the same (30/20) while the much cheaper Barbarian armor is only 20/15. If there is no hidden differences between the three sets of armor then, obviously, the Studded Leather Armor is the better purchase. And, the Marauder armor is one AC point worse at !

While I understand it is likely a game balance issue, an acceptable condition, realistically the Marauder armor should be somewhere nearer in cost. It is a beautifully rendered grahic. I find it also interesting that the Barbarian armor uses a medium armor profiency and a worse movement rate, but gives the same armor protection as studded leather.

2. acemcjack

acemcjack Member

I think you're wrong about the barbarian armor. IIRC, it's movement rate is 30/20 same as the studded leather armor. This armor is designed for high DEX characters so it wouldn't make sense for it to limit one's movement rate.

3. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

If you "shift-click" while your cursor is over the barbarian armor it states that the movement rate is 20/15 and the armor profiency is medium. Other than those two differences it is the same as studded leather. And it costs nearly the same in the Trader's Inn (shopmap).

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Shift-clicking merely accesses a heavily modified file that may be wildly wrong.

Marauder armour may be expensive because it adds +2 to Intimidate or something. That was the idea behind it.

5. SilverRey

SilverRey Kobold Psion

If you have a high dex bonus (+7) doesn't Marauder Armor rival Elven Chain? If I have +2 Marauder, I can get the same AC as Purple Elven Chain - with better weight, armor check & spell failure + the intimidation bonus. Am I missing anything? What's the trade off?

6. Philip

Philip Gruff Warrior

The only benefit would come from those occasions where you are denied your dexterity bonus to AC for some reason. On those occasions it's better to have some actualy armor there to help you :)

But not, most of the time on my Rogues or Rogue/Wizard multis, I go with the +7 dex Marauder or no armor at all...

7. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

How many fights early on are you always flat-footed? Many many many.

I can think of quite a few instances where the baddies come at you one at a time and combat starts all over again each time with your party being flat-footed. Goblins, kobolds, spiders ...

IIRC Flat-footed means no DEX bonus.

8. Philip

Philip Gruff Warrior

Unless you have the feat Uncanny Dodge, which IIRC is Rogue 4th level and Barbarian 2nd level bonus feat.

Marauder armor is going to most likely be worn by someone who already has that feat, perhaps ?

Doesn't help if you're prone, stunned, paralyzed etc. etc.

9. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Well you would be buying the armor at level one.
    But I can see how it would be a good investment to carry it around till level 2 or 4.

Our Host!