Manyshot question

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ausdoerrt, Dec 16, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

To the wizards of Co8:

Did you guys have a chance to look at the manyshot feat? I know it's been an acknowledged bug for a while (I basically can't get it to work), I'm just wondering if there's been any progress, or is it one of those things that's not likely to ever be fixed?

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I've never really looked into it myself, but I'm assuming it's a hardcoded element (as most combat mechanics are). As such, it's unlikely it will ever get fixed.

What exactly is wrong with it?

3. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Well, an old bug report thread (2009) lists this:

Personally, I haven't been able to get it to work. There seems to be no difference to having the manyshot feat, and ticking the box changes nothing. The extra arrows are not rolled.

Now, I could swear I've seen Otis use it properly back in the day. Though, that was on my first playthrough of the game, which would've been vanilla 1.0, and what, 7-8 years ago. So it might be just my memory playing tricks on me. I tried testing it in vanilla with patch 2 installed a few days ago, and the feat still didn't work.

4. chano

chano Established Member

I have used it once and it worked fine, i believe it was maybe back in 5.0 mod,

5. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Hmm, hasn't worked for me as far as I can remember... Rapid shot works, but the game pretends the Manyshot fear doesn't exist - which is a shame, since it'd make archers a lot more powerful.

6. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

I've seen Manyshot work in both vanilla and all Co8 mods I've tried.

You can only tell its working when your ranger hits with both Manyshot arrows as each Manyshot produces only a single arrowtrace.

If both Manyshot arrows hit you will see two damage figures displayed against the target.

According to pnp rules each arrow is at -4 to hit [presumably in addition to any penalties for rapidshot and a 6th level rangers "extra attack"] so I wouldn't expect to see many doublehits against worthy opponents.

7. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

I've figured out the problem - it only triggers on a single attack, meaning that if you have more than 1 attack per round, manyshot won't trigger. Not sure if that's WAI, but if it is, seems like a waste of a feat. Also, for some reason, the penalty applied is -2 instead of the listed -4. I apologize for the confusion.

8. Mouldyrye

Mouldyrye Member

I thought manyshot was kind of a wasted talent at first, especially with rapid shot already. After some messing around and figuring out that it only triggers when you have only one shot I decided that I like having it. When my archer repositions to shoot through a door or around obstacles the double-arrow shot makes up for the 2 additional attacks I lose for moving. Great for run and gun.

9. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

Always amazing to discover totaly new aspects about the game. I was just about to ignore the "wasted" manyshot feat on my rogue. Now I know how to use it. Thx a lot.

10. zugschef

zugschef Established Member

manyshot is a standard action. that's why it only works with a single attack.

Our Host!