Magical Items

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale Total Conversion' started by Allyx, Sep 5, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Well that +D6-3 electrical Monster damage works just fine, Hrothgar does need a bit of work though, I just killed him with a group of 5 lucky first level characters... I think boots of speed need to find their way onto his feet - he has a haste-like ability on his boots in the original IWD, though to be fair I'm unsure how to get him to activate them through his AI - might just have him chug a Potion of Haste instead.

2. FDR4PREZ

FDR4PREZ Established Member

If the boots are an item that can be taken when he is killed, then the effect should be something tied to the item. If the boots are not loot that can be taken, can you just give him Haste as a permanent spell effect?

3. Allyx

I think the point is, he's not supposed to die as he is the only way out of Easthaven. He also doubles as the towns peacekeeper, he appears to kick your ass if you attack anyone else in town.

4. FDR4PREZ

FDR4PREZ Established Member

hmm, I think I killed him first before I went around to killed everyone else. Maybe i'll replay and attack someone else first and see if he comes to the rescue. But I am content on waiting for the next release of files and retest it all.

5. Allyx

Hehe, I've Not added that particular bit of code yet, but he *should*, because he does appear to exact retribution in the original.

6. Allyx

I did some testing with the special monster added damage for weapons (d12-9 acid damage on Fang) and it subtracted the damage from the total if the roll was less than 9, so I'm going to need to write a script to roll a random number, and if the 25% chance is met, add the property "monster bonus damage / 1d3 / acid" then remove it again.

7. Allyx

Ok I'm gonna need a little scripting help here, I tried this but it doesn't seem to work:
    Code:
    from toee import *
    from utilities import *
    from scripts import *

def san_hit (Attachee, Triggerer):
        randy = game.random_range(1, 100)
        if attachee.name == 4997:
            if randy <= 25:
                attachee.item_condition_add_with_args('Monster Bonus Damage',Acid,1d3)
            if randy >= 26:
                attachee.item_condition_remove_with_args('Monster Bonus Damage',Acid,1d3)

return RUN_DEFAULT

I'm basically trying to add 1d3 acid damage to 25% of attacks when using this weapon. the Monster Bonus Damage, acid, 1d3 works in the items protos - 100% of the time, I tried 1d12-9 for the damage but on a low roll it reduced the total damage of the attack (so a 10hp stike with the basic damage and a roll of 2 on the d12-9 resulted in 3 total damage taken).

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I'm 99% certain that san_hit has no coding attached. Check with Sitra's breakdown of the engine but I tried to implement intelligent weapons that taunted on hits, plus the NPC follower lines where they crow about a hit / bemoan receiving one, and couldn't get a thing going.

Part of a TC (imho) will be upgrading the weapons to 3.5 rules. We can't avoid it, I say embrace it :)

9. Allyx

That works in certain circumstances, but not others - Everard's Warhammer of Sparks for example could be upgraded to a +2 Shocking Warhammer, but there is no Acid based equivalent, plus this weapon while technically magical - due to the chance of acid damage - isn't technically magical - it has no enchantment bonuses to hit.

There are many other examples littering this game of non-standard D&D magical items that can't easily be converted to 3.5 ed rules - Uligar has a chance of dropping a +4 magical dagger that gives +2 AC, +3 on saves vs spells, and grants an additional 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level wizard spell per day like a ring of wizardry. Or a +4 magical shortsword that allows the user to cast cure light wounds once per day, or +3 Studded Leather that grants 15% resistance to piercing, slashing, fire. and electrical damage and +2 saves vs spells... overpowered much?

I could just swap out the IWD items for ToEE equivalent items EG. Mage Masher +4 becomes a Dagger of Venom, Shortsword of Health +4 becomes a +4 shortsword, and I would have to make a magical suit of Studded Leather as ToEE doesn't have one. Or try recreating the effects as near as possible using what does work. Shame san_hit doesn't work :(

10. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

I don't recall having seen a call to san_hit in the ToEE code.
    Also there's no such command as condition_remove or anything of the sort.

With vanilla ToEE you're probably going to have to accept the limitations of the engine and convert effects to 'nearest approximation possible', such as turning % chance to % damage or creating a suitable X per day effect. You could perhaps try for some fancy scripting with Spell Objects but I suspect it's significantly more trouble than it's worth.

11. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

What he said.

Darmagon tried the 'remove conditions' thing and he said all you could do was add a condition to cancel out the last one. These will start to stack, and cause memory mayhem very quickly...

Anyway, by all means do different and funky things with the named weapons. You can have weapons with a different + to hit and to damage (rather than a straight enhancement bonus), and you can have all the 'monster bonus' things too. Weapons that helped with saves become spell resistance, weapons that help with this and that can give attribute or skill bonuses, or the X times per day spell effect as Sitra said. This isn't a setback, it's an opportunity! If you can't get anything near what you want just rename the item to make it clear - "Hrothgar's Hammer of Sparks' could become "Gaear's Shocking Bluntness".

:cool:

12. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

One thing I noticed when I started playing Vanilla IWD is that some of the treasures seemed occur randomly ( I thinking of a certain longbow in a certain temple or a particular pair of boots in a certain statue: I am trying not to give away any spoilers ). What you may want to consider doing is download a walkthrough for IWD, find out which magic items are random placements and simply not include any random magic item that isn't necessary for the plot ( or party survival ) and use the closest existing TOEE equivalents for the rest.

13. Allyx

@The Royal Canadian I have been using Near Infinity thus far to identify exactly which random loot appears in certain locations, and either using the ToEE version of the item, or attempting to recreate those items as close as possible where an exact match isn't possible.

Our Host!