magic circle

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by scott, Mar 2, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. scott

scott Member

Does magic circle work for anyone to either trap and outsider or keep them at bay? For me, outsiders just walk through the circle and, if I put it on them, they act as if it is not there.

2. nago

nago Member

It did not work for me either

I tried magic circle of protection from evil in several encounters but never had it work. That is, not only could evil monsters get through it, but it did not even act as the protection from evil spell.

3. scott

scott Member

Thanks. That was my experience too. The graphics pop up like it is doing something but it has no effect.

4. Trel Blackstone

Trel Blackstone Member

Magic Circle Against Evil: (Abjuration) [Good] Acts like a Protection spell against Evil, can be cast on friendly creatures (outward circle) or hostile creatures (inward circle) for 10 min./level, 10-ft. radius.

Protection from Evil: (Abjuration) [Good] +2 to AC and saves against evil creatures, counter mind control, hedge out elementals and outsiders.

I know it says hedge out, but I think they meant that if they are in that radious you get the +2 AC and saves. I don't think it is supposed to act like a force field or barrier to keep them out.

5. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

For summoned creatures, that's exactly what it means. In the book rules, summoned evil creatures cannot cross the barrier of a Magic Circle vs. Evil spell and can't physically attack someone protected by a protection from evil spell.

I haven't tried either in the game.

The demons in the nodes, on the other hand, wouldn't be affected by the spell at all (beyond the +2 to AC on the target) since they aren't summoned.

Our Host!