Loss of secrete doors...the answers?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by windmillcrusadeR, Feb 18, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. windmillcrusadeR

windmillcrusadeR Windmillcrusader

I know about the "can't find secrete doors" bug that occassionally pops up. I just did an adventure that was NG, killed Zug, then i did that trick i used previously to steal xps from the last adventure.

I kill Zug, then leave at least one enemay alive (easy cuz i bring charmed bugbears with me) and prod them into turning back into enemies.

When the level ends, the credits end and i start a new game, (this time NN), went to hommlet, then got the long term loding option:
    Each of the three PCs got 2200 in xps from the previous battle.

one other thing happened. after getting the tailor to get his access into the militia, and i bought some stuff from the blacksmith, i noticed i had a masterwork repeating crossbow.
    which i didn't buy, but i can't remember if the tailor all of a sudden gave one as part of the deal. I've never seen this but since i'd left the house, i couldn't check the dialogue between us.

Well, now i'm in the moat house and can't find the secrete door with the zombies.

Is there a corrolation with the masterwork crossbow that magically appeared with my party?

how about cheating the system and getting the xps from the previous battle?

I'm not sure if anyone has done these things so i'm asking.

i realize i need to reinstall the TOEE. I do have two clean installs in a seperate directory. Can i install that over the previous directory and will they work, or are there system files that have been affected outside ofthe Atari directory?

2. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

I think the crossbow is from the tailor... maybe.

3. windmillcrusadeR

nice present then.

One thing, i noticed when i couldn't find the secrete door in the moat house with the bandits that goes to the ogre's layer, i went outside then back inside before i saw it.

Anyway, i kept two copies of my install without any updates in sepereate folders.

I just installed and updated the 5.5.7 beta and am gooing to try to get the preveious saved characters and saved games added. just to see what happens.

4. windmillcrusadeR

That's funny. I didn't leave one of the summoned fungi this time and when the time ran out after zug was dead, the PCs and NPCs gained levels and got xps.

when i started the game over, i didn't get any xps.

Maybe the need for zug to have a follower still alive (fungi of some flavor) causes the xps to hold over.

i'll try it again

5. windmillcrusadeR

by the way, the only files i copied from my saved games was the last level when i was in the chamber of Zug.

So i have one saved game, a game from the previous install.

6. Acrux

Acrux Member

The crossbow is from the tailor. He gives it to you if you can convince the militia to allow him to join without requiring him to sew new uniforms for everyone.

7. windmillcrusadeR

well, that's great.

It seems that at least one of the reasons that the no secrete doors bug appears is if you start a new game after u kill zug, but the summoned creatures do not all die before the time runs out. then start a new game, whatever flavor, then the xps from the previous battle load onto the new game.

instant no find secrete doors bug.

i guess i won't be doing that anymore, but maybe one of the Co8 that knows programming might figure out why it happens.

Thanx for all the mods, and yes, i am not wourthy to be in your presence, Co8

Our Host!