Localized Version

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by silvannus, Jun 30, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

I'll quote myself:

1. Use toeextract.exe to unpack all resource files from ToEE3.dat which is installed with the original game (English version). Keep only the folders dlg and mes, you won't need the others.
    2. Use toeextract.exe to unpack all resource files from ToEE4.dat which is installed with patch 2.0. Again, keep only the folders dlg and mes.
    3. Use toeextract.exe to unpack all resource files from ToEE3.dat (LOCALIZED version). Yet again, keep only the folders dlg and mes.

So far, so good.

Now you should have three folders:
    1. A folder containing the original English dlg & mes files
    2. A folder containing the patched English dlg & mes files
    3. A folder containing the localized dlg & mes files

The Italian version you are working on probably has the same issues regarding the dialogue files as the other localized versions:
    - some English dialogue files have more strings than the localized ones - and some have less!
    - the scripting commands in the localized version seem to be missing some changes that have been made in the English version

So, you first need to make sure the English and Italien dialogue files are absolutely identical (except, of course, for the male/female text) - which would be step 3 1/2.

See one of my posts above for a way how you can achieve this (it involves importing both the original English & localized files into the Excel file I posted, and then searching for places where the strings are not aligned). I know that process is long and boring, but it's necessary for the next step: incorporating the changes that have been made in the English patch into the localized files.

For this last step, you'll need Beyond Compare (or a similar tool).

2. Falanel

Falanel Member

I'm back ! :D

I did the boring comparation between the DLG files...and i found all the lines missing in the italian version.

Now i Post the 43 rows, maybe that i can help someone :D

00008carpenter.dlg (6)
    00013miller servant.dlg (2)
    00014miller.dlg (204)
    00025woodcutter.dlg (220-234)
    00058wainwright.dlg (342)
    00062rannosdavl.dlg (355-356, 374-375, 430-443)
    00116Tolub.dlg (290, 350)
    00118skole.dlg (31)
    00139antonio.dlg (55-56)
    00145aern.dlg (5)
    00174hedrack.dlg (485-488)
    00179average farmer beggar.dlg (161)
    00262burne_apprentice.dlg (140-142)

To those lines, must be added the ones written by Morpheus.

I, also, found a row in the italian version that doesn't exist in the patched version so i deleted it :

00062rannosdavl.dlg (10001)

uhm....now i have to modify the MES files....someone can help me on that? What i have to do? I don't understand what is the use for the MES files.

Thx for the help....i hope my little help is usefull :D

Our Host!