Loading problems

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by dale5351, Nov 10, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. dale5351

dale5351 Established Member

I have two problems that occur when loading.

The first is merely annoying -- the little temperature gauge at the bottom of the screen zips through things so fast that I cannot read the words, UNTIL it gets to "loading sector data". That step sometimes finishes in as little as 10 seconds, but more often takes 60-90 seconds or so. I don't usually have anything else running on my system so ToEE is in full control. Any thoughts on that?

The second problem is more serious. Every few days, when the program starts loading the screen colors become all messed up. It looks as if they went from 32 bit do 8 bit, i.e. pictures are all streaky etc. Even worse, even if I exit the game, my desktop has been corrupted in the same way. Does anyone know if this is this some flaw in the game, or is it my video card going bad. I am playing the game in a different resolution than my main desktop is in -- 1024x768, 32 bit for the game and 1280x1024, 32bit for main screen. My computer is perhaps 7 years old, running WinXP SP3.

2. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

I'm not nearly as computer savvy as most others here but I would say that either its your video card, your resolution when playing the game or a definitely needed OS upgrade. I'd say look at your resolution first, then your card to see if it either needs new drivers or is going bad- and don't forget to check your antivirus/pc protection programs- could be something there too...

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

It sounds to me as if your graphics processor is getting hot.

4. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

I agree with sirchet. I think you should check your graphics card to make sure the fan is working and the heatsink isn't clogged up with lint.

5. dale5351

OK, thanks guys.

I was afraid that was the answer since I'd not seen anyone else complaining of similar graphics problem. I think that I did open the case and do a dust bunny search not too long ago, but maybe my "spot" skill was not high enough:-}}

I've been debating with my self whether to get a new computer or just a new video card.

6. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Right now it's definitely a buyers market for PC's, you should be able to pick up something nice for just a few bucks. :)

7. dale5351

True, and I want to make the deal while I can still get Windows 7 and not have to go to Win 8 (which will apparantly run my XP and DOS programs).

Our Host!