Livonya's Beta 1.5 Mod.zip

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Livonya, Apr 23, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Whoa, that's not right. There should be a check box for autosave, not a slider. Something must have gotten corrupted somewhere. Looks like it's time for another complete reinstall. You did that when Krunch suggested it, didn't you? Follow Krunch's instructions for the complete reinstall of ToEE from the post above (nine posts up from this one), and use the setup.exe version of Liv's Mod that he suggested three post below the reinstall one. It includes all of the moebius2778 temple.zip fix. Or better yet, download ToEE Front End Pro (aka Toffee) and the Toffee Pro version of Liv's mod, as it includes almost all the latest bug fixes, or the Toffee Pro version of Ted's Mod for even more current bugfixs. For the absolute latest bugfixes, you will have to wait for Co8 4.0.0, which should hopefully be out in a few weeks. It, however, will only be available in a Toffee Pro format. Btw, what version of ToEE are you using (Box, Jewelcase, Direct-to-dirve, etc.)?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  2. Balqisat

Balqisat Member

I am having problems while using this mod, cant seem to get out of nulb once i enter, keeps saying game has encountered a problem. Never had this problem before installing the mod. Any help would be nice.

3. krunch

krunch moving on in life

-> Balqisat: I sent you a PM on how to reinstall ToEE. Open your User CP page and check your messages.

4. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

I've just started my first game with this mod, and I've noticed a couple of odd things, though there aren't any real problems.

Enemies attempt to Break Free from Webs, Entangles, and whatnot. But they don't seem to be very successful with it. Anyone else see this working, or are entangling spells still cheese tactics?

The readme mentions a new system for determining random encounter distances, but I haven't seen any result from it; enemies still start right on top of you most of the time.

The skill requirements in dialogues seem a bit too steep to me. While it's nice in theory to have a reason to take skill-boosting feats, the problem is that the town quests offer such lousy rewards (except for Meleny and her dowry), that they end up not being worth doing. Might as well churn a couple REs instead. And I'd really hate to play an Ironman game with this mod, since most parties wouldn't be able to get the town XP until they've levelled a couple of times, and by that time you don't need the XP much.

Same thing for Lareth's diary (at least, I think so; haven't opened it yet). By the time I do open it, there won't be anything of interest in it.

Edit: Whoops! Looks like I do have a bug. I seem to have been locked out of doing anything at the brothel. I accepted Ophelia's quest to see what's wrong with Jenelda. But this was after having arefused to pay once. Now that I'm doing the quest, Opehlia doesn't ask me for money to see the girls. But since I haven't paid, Jenelda won't talk to my party. This also locks out the rest of Ophelia's quests.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2005
  5. Cerulean the Blue

The system does work. It is dependant on the survival skill. The higher your parties survival skill, the further away the enemies will appear.

The idea for the increased DC for locks, traps and dialogs was to make them mean something. If you don't want to have a character with good lockpicking , trap disabling or social skills, certain aspects of the game will not be available, or won't be available until later in the game, which is as it should be. So my reply to your complaints is, tough. Livonya is no longer with us here, so she will not be changing it, nor would she if she was still here. Go back and read the entire thread. You will get a pretty good idea of what her response would have been to your post. The concensus of the current crop of modders here is to only change Liv's mod to fix bugs, not change what she had intended.

6. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

I'll take your word for it, but there must be a large random factor. Even with maxed survival skill on my level 5 barbarian, I just had an RE on the surface Temple level with four bugbears spawning inside my party's formation. If they were any closer to us they would have been behind us.

"Good" social skills doesn't quite cover it. You need maxed, unless you want to finish up the quest at a point in the game when the XP reward for doing the quest is beneath notice. The point isn't so much that you can't finish the quests early, as that the rewards are too low to make them worth doing at all, and certainly not worth distorting your character builds to accomplish.

Heh. Why are you bringing up Livonya's absence? If you all really do like the design, then that's irrelevant. Surely you can't be saying that the content of the mod is beyond discussion at this late date. Can you?

But I'm really just here to finish that bug report. It seems there's an inconsistent variable state. The journal says the "Weakest Link" quest is mentioned, but not accepted. Ophelia wants me to talk to Jenelda, who doesn't know that the quest has started. Rianna does actually talk to me as if her quest is underway, but I can't complete it without a reaction from Ophelia.

7. Croix

Croix Member

I haven't had a problem with my ranger with max survival. Though, I also have high listen, and spot skills on characters in my party. Don't know if that would effect this, but it should eh?

8. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

Turns out the brothel quest wasn't fatally bugged. I was able to complete the quest with Riana, so Jenelda didn't matter.

I got multiple Juggernauts in the Water Temple. Livonya's fix for that should really be rolled into the standard 1.5 download.

9. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

Ye gods. What's the design intent in the Greater Temple?

If you finish one of the subtemple quest series, you get to meet Hedrack down below. But this leaves you on the wrong side of that lightning barrier. Is Hedrack trying to get you killed?

Barkinar's hostile too, but since the Temple's so disorganized it almost kind of makes sense that he wouldn't know you're working for Hedrack.

10. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

Just noticed something odd. I had a couple of failures while disarming the chest in the Fire Temple, so I opened up the detail box to see what the DC was (32!).

My party was getting XP for the failed disarms, contrary to what the mod's supposed to do, and what everyone's been saying it does. In fact, they got more XP for the failed disarms than for a successful disarm.

And one of my NPCs has a Resist Energy visual effect that's persistent even through death and resurrection, so Liv's fix can't stop it. Pity she didn't keep the fire resistance too.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2005
  11. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

If you talk to Kent (the kid at the entrance to Hommlet), he'll give you a bit of info about the stuff Liv changed. Here's the part about traps: "The main change with traps now is that if you fail to disarm them then you will not gain experience. You will get a message that you are gaining a small amount of experience, but actually you will not be gaining any experience. My master was not able to change the text messages."

You should check your XP before and after you try to disarm the trap - do you really gain XP if you fail?

12. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

Whoops! My bad. I read what the kid said, but forgot all about it. Reminds me of NWN, where you still get thehardcoded XP message when you replace the combat XP with a different system.

Did Liv really pump up the Ogre Chieftain in the Temple Level 4? That thing destroyed my whole L8 party in three rounds. It must have a sick BAB to be able to hit AC 20+ consistently even with Power Attack on, but I don't know how to check that in protos.tab. Guess that thing's to a normal ogre what a L10 fighter is to a 1st-level guard.

13. Cerulean the Blue

Hey AlanC9, I forgot to mention that the survival skill/distance to enemies in random encounters doesn't work for sleep encounters, only random encounters you get while traveling. Looking into making it work for sleep encounters is on my to do list, but I suspect that there is a spawning issue invovled (i.e. how enemies spawn indoors) that will get in the way.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2005
  14. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

Thanks, Cerulean. Makes sense that spawning would be troublesome in the indoor maps. I had trouble like that with an NWN mod too.

Found an amusing and rare bug. In the Nulb ambush after you kill one but not both traders (hadn't intended to kill them, but they caught my rogue pickpocketing), there's an assassin who's copied from the one who comes to kill you after you sell Lareth's stuff in town. No problem if you kill him, but I used Dominate Person. The moment we got out the door of the house, he gave me the speech you get in the post-Lareth ambush. Since he was still Dominated, he couldn't go hostile. But some Nulb villagers did.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2005
  15. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

Having the Guardians spawn in other demons of their own type is OK, but the new demons really shouldn't have elemental power gems of their own too.

I had a looting issue. When there weren't any jewels or such in the container/body being opened, the NPCs would occasionally take magic items instead. Serena took Senshock's +5 bracers, for instance. I kept waiting for her to get knocked out so I could steal it back.

And Hedrack seemed to be getting two magic resistance rolls. Is this an engine bug of some kind, or some obscure D&D feature I've forgotten?

10/08/2006 - Thread closed for posterity.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!