Livonya's Beta 1.5 Mod.zip

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Livonya, Apr 23, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greylord

greylord Member

Livonya - AMAZING work... I had given up on this game, so much potential squashed by so many bugs. In a small way, I tried to better the game by working with Troika's programmer (along with several other fans) to debug the patches prior to their release. Sadly my only project, adding a taste of flavor and improving the in game item descriptions, never made it to the final patch. Anyhow, I'm playing again, and loving it. I noticed some things that seemed strange:

1) In the temple, on the level that has the Air, Fire, and Water temples in it there is a main hallway. You fight a group of Ogres and an Ogre shaman about midway in it. If you go SW from there you meet a group of bandits. (the guards out front run away when they see you). In the room with the chest there is usually a bandit leader, lieutenant, and many many bandits. When I just played through this area the bandit leader, who normally sparks a dialog mid-battle, was not there. I remember him for two reasons: one he usually has great equipment, and two his picture reminds me of Q from Star Trek. :p This is my first CE group, maybe there is some correlation?

2) My H/O cleric has a 9 dex, giving me a -1 dex mod. When my rowdy dwarf barbarian drunk everyone under the table at the bar in Homlet, I relieved Koburt of his armor and put it on my cleric. I was granted the +1 max dex modifier for the armor instead of the -1 dex modifier for my actual ability score; netting me an AC 2 points higher than it should have been. The AC issue seems to have come up and been corrected in the past, although my memory is a bit fuzzy.

3) Doesn't Jaroo typically have two bears in his company, or are they only spawned when you attack him? Maybe I'm getting him confused with the druid in the opening TN vignette. It is odd that he doens't have an animal companion, though.

4) This isn't a particular bug, just a comment. People are suggesting some great ideas for modification - be it NPC stats, spells, items, quests, rewards, etc. One of the things Troika seemed intent on was staying faithful to the TOEE module. I myself never played it, so I cannot comment on what does or does not deviate from the module. (I agree that NPC stats and feat choices need to change, however, because 2E and 3.X are vastly different. They should be converted as faithfully as possible though, not changed to relfect what someone wants or thinks is useful.)

Sorry for my wordiness and lack of detail on #1 - it's late and I've been playing for quite some time. :) I'm using mod 1.0 (now upgrading to 1.5) over a clean install, per the norm.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Hey greylord, welcome. Sounds like your the kind of person we'd like to have around here. :)

Regarding 3 - I believe that you're thinking of the TN vignette, as you said.

gaear

3. 0rion79

0rion79 Established Member

bug

Wow! I just made a cleric wizard to check some of the new items and I must see that there is really a lot of nice stuff :) The only problem is that, even if a person may suppose what the items are doing, I think that descriptions in the long_description.mes and into a separate readme file would be something really appreciated.
    I've seen the comp.bows too :) Geez, at last I can play a decent archer!
    BUT.... I made a try with new items and I saw that the white robe of archimagi mades a mess with AC, since it just counts the basic value 10 + dexterity bonus, ignoring all other bonuses. probably the other robes do the same and... I think it would be better to make some of the new magic items for wizards to fit the slot for armors, not cloaks or robes.
    Please, wait to relase a new protos.tab with corrections because I would like to add some of the items that I built myself, after the exam the 26th. I mean the ones about wich I talk in another thread.
    Matt
    PS: I'm still waiting for a feedback about them, should I argue that, how we say, who is silent then agrees?

[Later....]
    Aww... :s looking to the protos.tab I've seen that many items that I proposed, like the dwarven plate and the mithral chain shirt have already been added. The important thing is that they have been included in the game, but I would have not spended time making them by myslef, loosing time, so please if somebodyelse is planning to make some new item or to modify some old one with the intention to share it with the Co8 crew, please post it. I wouldn't not like to make magic version of black scarab, unicorn and gnome ring to discover that somebody already did them them or that they are unwanted (but I remember that somebody would like to have them with some magical effect).

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  4. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

You need to switch to 1.5 and then see if they are still missing. However he will only appear if you start a new game. Someone else turned this person off, and once he is off he stays off. A new game with 1.5 should have him back in the game.

This has nothing to do with my mod. And it only happens when you have a negative dexterity bonus. I am not sure what causes it. I have tried to fix it, but simply don't know why it is happening. If I ever get a fix for it I will let correct it.

The bears are sleeping (as they always were). Attack him and they will wake up.

- Livonya

5. Yarazin

Yarazin Member

Hi Liv,
    Thanks for the hard work.

I didn't see it in your install file, so I was wondering. Do I need to enable the more than 5 pc's seperately after I set up your mod, or does your mod already make the neccessary changes?

Also, if I read the install file correctly, I don't need to change my command line at all to allow level 20 max?

Thanks again,
    Yarazin

6. Livonya

Yarazin -

I do not like that mod, so I do not use it. It is not part of my mod, but I believe it will work with my mod. You will need to instal it yourself. Do it after you have installed my mod. It should work okay, though of course I have never tried it.

- Livonya

7. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

I've used that mod with Livonya's mod. It seems ok, but beware going over 8 characters.

Fantastic work Livonya - I'm noticing the little changes this time round and am really stunned once more :)

One question I've been pondering, bracers don't seem to give AC but I'm guessing it can't be fixed?

Need to start a new game to recheck this terribly minor dialogue thing, but talking to Furlok (to use his expertise) gives you a line in what can only be described as barbarian-speak "me need help", is how it runs IIRC. But I'll give you more details when I restart. Let me know if there is a particular path you want me to follow to test out new features.

(Credit to you if that is the only thing I've found in 12 hours of playtesting hehe).

8. Livonya

Bracers don't stack with armor. If you wear bracers by themselves without armor they work, but if you are wearing armor then they don't stack. That's just how they did it in TOEE.

Also, I corrected that dialog error. Thanks.

- Livonya

9. Sheriff05

Sheriff05 Member

here's a bug

Ok the new improved temple tower battle is extra hard, that's good
    (love all the spell casting going on)
    the bad thing is i used the Lamia Figurine I picked up out at Imeryrds run
    and the Lamia, cast's permanment charm so after the battle I have a "Brigand Archer" as part of group that I can't get rid of. dead or alive he is always traveling with me and you can't access his inventory and if he's alive he sets off all the town people into combat mode. big pain in the butt, anyway to manually rid myself of this guy? (dispel magic) doesn't work.. I can always reload the battle (an not use the figure) but maybe this can be fixed as the Lamia fig is useless if her charm spell adds permanent members to your group.

10. Livonya

files to add

If you already downloaded my mod then please add these files.

This will add an ending to Black Jay's Sheep quest and will also fix a small error I made in Lareth's dialog.

the dlg files go in your dlg folder (they should over-write the old ones)
    the scr files go in your scr folder (they should over-write the old ones)

have fun...

- Livonya

Attached Files:

• dlg.zip
      File size:
      8.7 KB
      Views:
    • scr.zip
      File size:
      686 bytes
      Views:
  11. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I thought it was more likely to be working as intended as opposed to a bug.

I'm having lots of fun btw ;p

12. Livonya

Okay, I will fix this. However, it will involve some more complex work so I can't just post a quick fix as it will involve new files and changes to 5 or 6 different files.

I will get it fixed for my 2.0 release.

As for what do you do right now. Here are my suggestions.

1) Try resting. The spell should expire. I took a look at it and the spell should have a limit, but you probably already tried that so maybe it won't work.

2) If you know how to edit the protos.tab then you could open it up and go to line 14428 and deleate the entry for column #313 that says 'Charm Monster' domain_special 1

Just remove that entry and the lamia will no longer cast that spell

3) You could open up the console.

Type: from utilities import *
    (note that there needs to be a blank space between "import" and "*")
    Type: x = find_npc_near(game.leader, 14313)
    Type: x.destroy()

That should deleate the dead critter... though this will only work for the Brigand Archer.

- Livonya

13. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I noticed a couple oddities during pt today . . . clean install with Atari 2, Co8 3.0.4, Livonya 1.5.

1. When speaking to NPCs and telling them not to sell their equip, a party order rearrangement occurs (bottom line of portraits). The NPCs acknowledge you and advise that they won't give you their stuff either. They then proceed to sell their unequipped non-starting items anyway at market, but don't let you manage the sale and don't let you take anything back, including equipped items you gave them after making the arrangement. Very unfortunate for the PCs on both ends.

2. In the battle with Lareth, in the mid-battle dialogue, Lareth calls the fighting to a halt as usual. But the only dialogue option is for resuming battle.

Otherwise everything looks good. I really like the buffing that goes on . . . the Lareth battle was quite challenging. Added dialogue here and there is a plus as well.

Gaear

Edit: btw, I PC-Count patched to 6, total of 8 in party, 5 PCs, 3 NPCs - Fruella, Zert, Raimol.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  14. Ashenai

Ashenai Member

Please note that this is also correct by D&D 3.5 rules. The armor bonus granted by Bracers of Armor and the armor bonus granted by regular armor do not (and should not stack).

Incidentally, hi everyone. I found this forum recently, and I really am amazed at all the work that's been done. This is some truly awesome stuff.

Sadly, I don't have the skills to become a really productive contributor (modder). I am, however, an expert on 3.5 D&D rules, so if anyone needs to know whether things are working as they should (according to 3.5 rules), that I can help with.

15. Livonya

When you tell an NPC not to sell their equipment they shift party order arrangement. This is normal for my mod. However, they will not sell anything. I have tested this over and over again. I suspect your problem is that you have the more than 5 PC count patch. I make no guarantees that my mod will work with that patch. Use at your own risk.

I have been playing with Zert all day and he won't sell anything once I tell him not to. I will test Fruella and Raimol, but again I suspect the problem is due to the more than 5 PC patch.

Did you apply the quick fix that I listed above? It was designed to solve that problem, and if you put that quick fix in then you shouldn't have that problem.

Let me know about that.

- Livonya

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!