Livonya's Beta 1.0 Mod.zip

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Livonya, Apr 6, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

This was a hard choice.

I know it can be harsh, but it only makes sense in some ways.

My feeling was that creatures with minimum intelligence would finish off dying/unconcious characters to make sure that they don't get healed.

And creatures with low intelligence aren't going to realize if a character is dying/unconcious or just prone.

When you do battle with the harder encounters where there are enemy Clerics involved you will regret it if you don't finish off dying/unconcious NPCs.... one Cure Critical Wounds and that target is back in the battle.

In addition, the AI has a hard time distinguishing between dying/unconcious targets and live ones.

With spell casters I tried to get them to ignore dying/unconcious targets but I really can't do that with the melee AI unless I really dumb them down.

Kalshane posted about that as well, and I am definitely thinking about it.

- Livonya

2. SadExchange

SadExchange Member

Thanks for your answers so far Liv. I haven't played TOEE in some time, but feel the need to reinstall for this great sounding mod. Quick question, you mentioned to save before leaving each map because of the "heart beat" script. And if the script fails, just revert back to the latest save, but will it be noticiable if the script fails or will I progress through the game and not know? Sorry for asking, I'm at work and was just wondering and don't want to miss anything :sphappy:

3. dulcaoin

dulcaoin Established Member Veteran

Thanks Allyx,

I'm all "DMG'd up" now on the subject of challenge ratings.

Lubash looks right at CR 3; unless I'm really missing something... If I read it right, he'd STILL be CR 3 even if given another level in any class!

-- dulcaoin

4. Livonya

No, if you give him another level his CR will increase (I believe).

I am pretty sure the final CR that appears in game is determined by the following factors:

1) # of hit dice
    2) # of class levels
    3) CR level

the game adds these all together. Thus you can reduce the in game CR by puting a negative number in the CR level slot. There are several instance where Troika uses a negative number in the CR slot.

For example I wanted a monster to be a bit harder for a specific reason but i didn't want the CR to be higher, so instead of making her hit dice 1d12 I made it 2d4 + a Class level and then gave her a -2 CR. So in the end she will appear in game as CR 1 though she will be a bit harder to kill.

Also, and this is important to know if you are looking at the log book to determine CR level in game. And actually, this may be taking place a lot.

If you have multiple monsters that use the same Name ID # then the first monster of that group that is killed will set the CR value for the log book and every monster that you kill after that will have the same CR level in the log bog regardless of their actual CR level.

So for instance you kill Skeleton Joe who is CR level 1.

An entry will now be in the log book that says Skeleton Joe CR level 1.

You then kill another skeleton called Skeleton Joe who is CR level 2.

In the log book it will now say that you have killed 2 Skeleton Joe creatures that are all CR level 1.

Now if you kill the CR level 2 creature first then the log book will say that you have killed 2 Skeleton Joe creatures that are all CR level 2.

- Livonya

5. Livonya

There is ONLY a problem when you load a game from auto-save.

Nothing else matters. You can leave auto-save on if you want to that isn't a problem. But do NOT load from an auto-save slot.

And if you do load from an auto-save slot then it isn't going to ruin your game. It isn't game breaking or anything like that. Al that it will mean is that maybe some scripting events won't happen properly.

The only reason I said save before you enter a new map is so that if you get killed you have an recent save to go back to if you want.

- Livonya

6. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

According to my 3.5 Monster Manual, an Orge is CR3. Which means if you add a level of Barbarian, he should be CR4. Character levels add one CR per level.

I don't understand the reasoning behind this. If an enemy is made harder through game mechanics, their CR and thus the XP awarded should reflect it.

As for the beating on unconscious foes until they die, I'm not much of a fan of it. Yes, making sure their foe can't get back up makes sense, but it makes even more sense to fight the guy in front of you whacking you with a big sword. Plus, healing party members in combat is generally disadvantageous in ToEE to begin with because you have no choice of whether the character stands up or stays prone. If you heal someone in combat, chances are good they're going to get AOOed as they stand and dropped again or possibly even killed, which means in the best case scenario you wasted a spell, in the worst you made things worse by healing the person. Because of this, as it stands now, if a party member gets knocked unconcious, they're as good as dead.

7. SadExchange

SadExchange Member

Thanks for taking the time out to answer questions Liv, it doesn't sound like much coming from someone with only a few posts, but I know how much everyone appreciates all the hard work and time you put into this mod. And also all the questions you've answered thus far. Thanks!

8. dulcaoin

dulcaoin Established Member Veteran

I'm working from 3.0 materials, not 3.5; so that THERE was the difference. Glad that's cleared up.

in 3.0, a Large Giant Ogre is CR 2

My statement that he might be CR3 at Level 2 was based on him having NPC classes, rather than a PC class; so ignore that (TOEE didn't implement NPC classes anyway). I WAS "reading it wrong" in a manner of speaking.

It sounds to me like the CR should be bumped in the protos.tab file, and Lubash would be CR4 then (IMHO).

-- dulcaoin

9. SadExchange

SadExchange Member

Quick question about installation of the temple folder. It says to put the folder in the temple of elemental evil folder. Just in the main folder then? Not in any other files or folders, just in the main folder? Sorry, still at work :sphappy:

10. angrycoffeeman

angrycoffeeman Member

Moathouse Ogre Turkey Shoot

Liv,

Along the lines of NPC's not doing anything during combat:

My party took on the Bandit chief and then descended down the stairs, ending up behind the Ogre and on the top landing of the stairwell that leads down to the gnolls. All of my party but one (poor dwarf) beat the ogre's initiative and withdrew beyond his whompin' radius. My dwarf took one hit from the raged-up ogre, survived and then he withdrew. My party then switched to ranged weapons and proceeded to pelt the ogre with bolts and arrows. All the while the ogre just stood and took it until he died.

I know nothing when it comes to scripting, programming, etc., so maybe there is no way to make the ogre flee combat or retreat. But, given how you delight in making things more challenging :) , I thought I'd let you know about the Moathouse Ogre Turkey Shoot.

Thanks for all of your hard work!!

Still stinging from that trapped set of thieve's tools,

angrycoffeeman

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

For what it's worth, I think I tend to agree with Kalshane. It seems to me that low intelligence creatures would use instinct (bash the guy in front of you) rather than tactics (kill the guy who's down so he can't get back up).

In a real fight you would definitely not worry about a guy who's already down if someone else is swinging at you. Then again, I know, I know, this is D&D, a battle simulation, not neccesarily a real-life portrayal of fantasy events.

I think however that encountering that behavior in ToEE would get me somewhat miffed, though I haven't actually tried it yet. I'm not a "power-player," (I tend to favor parties with flaws, for some reason) so I have to take advantage of every NPC oversight I can to pull through.

gaear

12. Livonya

Were you still in the same room with the Ogre?

I am not sure if he can get through the door or down the stairs.

I will take a look at his script, but it may be that he could advance on you because he is so big that he wouldn't fit into the spaces needed to attack you.

I will check it out.

- Livonya

13. Livonya

Gaear/Kalshane -

I will take a look at the scripts and see what I can do about it.

In all honesty, I am not sure if it is possible to fix... unless the fix is just going back to the dumbed down AI that they had before.

But I will definitely take a look at this when I get a chance.

I do understand the complaint.

- Livonya

14. Livonya

I am not sure which folder you ar talking about.

Are you talking about the temple.dll file?

The temple.dll file goes in the main folder.

- Livonya

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  15. Sheriff05

Sheriff05 Member

Just wanted to add that using characters with custom portraits made the game crash, I did a clean install and installed the portraits after 3.04 and before Liv's 1.0 mod, using any character with custom pic in the party caused a CTD as soon as you tried to access character info in anyway.
    Also starting equipment is bugged, no big deal but my druid started with 2 sets of hide armor, that's the most I can say and thru the moathouse,
    awesome job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!